Menu

Standard book condition descriptions? & What do you feel should be disclosed

Oh yes - especially to the library copy. Library hardbacks are printed on different paper and usually bound in a different manner than "trade" books. They are designed to last longer. When purchasing used books, I always look for library copies.

I'll also second the highlighting thing: kid can't read from a book that has been highlighted. I bought one that didn't say it had, and when I got it, almost the entire book was.

a

[NOTE: From here on, there may be "+ (Plus)" or "- (Minus)" in a grade, which will mean that it is above the grade noted but not quite to the next higher grade for "+", and that it is below the grade noted but not quite to the next lower grade for "-", i.e., Very Good + (or Plus)/Very Good - (or Minus). Which means the book is better than Very Good and the dust jacket grade is less than Very Good.]

Holy headache batman!:001_huh: Am I ever glad I've never gotten into selling used curriculum online. {I sell it in person, give it away, or just keep it.}

What's a "remainder mark"? *curious*

Do you feel one should include in their listing that a book . . .

is an ex-library copy?

has a remainder mark?

has bookplates or previous owner's name in them?

has writing?

had writing that has been erased?

has highlighting?

covered in clear contact paper?

has stickers on them?

other?

As a long-time major seller of used books, I think all these things should be included in the description of a book, unless any writing has been erased so well that one cannot tell the book had been written in.

Also note repairs made, broken or loose hinges, wear on corners or at top and bottom of spine, spine slant, page tears, and yellowing of pages. Do not sell a book that smells musty or has mold or mildew on it.

In addition, if the dust jacket is wrinkled, creased, torn, chipped, sun damaged (faded), pasted onto the covers of the book, or is rubbed (shelf wear on the face and back of the jacket), and so forth, that should be noted.

Do you feel one should include in their listing that a book . . .

is an ex-library copy?

has a remainder mark?

has bookplates or previous owner's name in them?

has writing?

had writing that has been erased?

has highlighting?

covered in clear contact paper?

has stickers on them?

other?

How do you feel about a sticky on the For Sale board that explains standard book descriptions?

All of those, plus any bending, scratching, or staining. I like Amazon's condition guidelines.

I don't buy from people who aren't willing to be pretty detailed about the condition, and I ask if the description only says "good" or whatever. Good idea for a sticky.

A remainder mark is generally a black line across the bar code or on the edge of the book.

I like vivid descriptions. I can't stand "new" books that have broken spines/loose binding, and lots of highlighting. I also don't like books that have been dropped in water (and dried curly!) and books that have been folded along the bound edge.

I like old library books but not the ones with one thousand stickers and stamps with torn and wrinkled pages.

My favorite used library book is a copy of a Grimms fairy tale collection that came from a Baptist college library and has a disclaimer about how the college does not condone the content or something. I had no idea I was getting such a gem when I ordered it online. :)

With the exception of the word "new", I don't like the adjectives. I prefer description. What I don't want is writing, highlighting or odor. I'm okay with banged corners, etc. I really would not like the list of adjectives and their definitions posted on the sale board--none note writing in the book, for instance.

Someone could use a "Fair" adjective because of banged corners, bent pages, etc. and someone else could use it because of highlighting. One book I'd be glad to have, the other not.