Menu

who has good/cheap clothes & extras for American Girl dolls?

I'm not sure you can get good and cheap clothing at the same time. Michael's carries cheap stuff, but it's not good (and the prices are a little high for what they are to my mind).

If you sew, there are plenty of cheap patterns, and remnants are great. If you have a friend who sews, she might do it for you for less. I sew doll clothing and can charge a bit less than AG, but not that much less--say $20 for a nice outfit and $10-15 for a simpler one. Fabric + time + pattern = not cheap!

I agree with DangerMom. There's cheap. And there's quality. But I haven't found them working together very well when it comes to AG doll clothes. There's a very clear quality difference between the stuff you can find at Target and Michael's and the stuff at AG. Sometimes the Target clothing doesn't even *fit* the AG dolls (the sleeves won't fit over the dolls' hands, or the shoes don't fit, etc). I've ordered from Vision Forum when they had sales, and not been thrilled with their stuff either. Emily Rose and Carpatina have some things you can't get elsewhere, but the prices aren't much better than AG...

On the other hand, I think getting 1-2 outfits at a time for Christmas and birthdays seems to work better than getting a whole bunch. And it's easy on relatives if they know that any AG stuff or gift cards will be appreciated (year after year!)...

You can find custom made clothes at the Christmas craft fairs around here. Also, we have local shops that sell custom made clothes. The cheapest way I have found is to make the clothes yourself. There are lots of patterns at the fabric shop and you can make matching girl and doll outfits.