Menu

For those who have rec'd H1N1 - where did you get it?

Where did you get the H1N1 vax?  

1. 1. Where did you get the H1N1 vax?

• Doctor office/private clinic
    • Military base clinic
    • County/State/public health clinic
    • Store pharmacy (Target, WalMart, Costco, etc.)
    • In-store clinic staffed by a nurse or doctor (Minute Clinic @ CVS, etc.)
    • Obligatory other

EDIT: received the VAX - not the VIRUS!!!

Not nose versus arm :) but venue...I'm just really, really curious as to what is happening elsewhere. Our area is in a minor "panic" mode due to deaths being reported in the news, so thousands of people showed up today, as you can read below...

PLEASE NO DEBATE -- THE BEATEN HORSE IS DEAD

We just got home from standing in line for 2 1/2 hours at a large public venue for the vax clinic given by the ____ County Department of Health. The two twirling girlies qualified, but I did not (as I'm 41, not pregnant or with a health issue). We have to go back in a month for a booster.

We were four people from the front of the line when the announcement was made that there were no more shots available, so all of the high risk people and pregnant women who had been standing in line for 2 1/2 hours were sent home. :crying: I felt SO BADLY for the boys both in front and behind us ...the boy in front was in a wheelchair and had respiratory distress so he couldn't have the Flumist, the boy behind had a heart condition, and his Dad had taken the morning off from work and pulled him out of school for the vax.

Just curious.

ETA: (third edit! aaack! I know of NO OTHER source in our area for the vax than the County's vax EVENT!)

Edited by BikeBookBread

my dc's pediatrician told me that their office will be getting some vaccine in Nov. but will be only for kids that are not in school as all kids in our county that are in school will be rec. shots at their schools. So I guess that ped. can give shots to homeschooled children in addition to other kids not in school ex. preschoolers .

Our province is starting shots (no mist in Canada) on Monday and, as of now, the only locations in my town that I'm aware of are clinics being held at one of the high schools. Public clinic, anyone can come - they're giving the shot to anyone who shows up for it, high risk or not.

{Sidenote: I found out today that our whole family is considered 'high risk' because of ds10's disabilities, although he isn't 'medically fragile'}

Oh, and I assume they'll set up more locations, like right at the public health dept and such... I don't know about private doctors...

{Sidenote: I found out today that our whole family is considered 'high risk' because of ds10's disabilities, although he isn't 'medically fragile'}

The Mom of the boy in the wheelchair in front of me (that was turned away because they ran out of shots) was NOT qualified!!! They were only dispensing to licensed caregivers, even if the parent is the full-time caregiver!

The Mom of the boy in the wheelchair in front of me (that was turned away because they ran out of shots) was NOT qualified!!! They were only dispensing to licensed caregivers, even if the parent is the full-time caregiver!

That's nuts. She's his main caregiver, living in close quarters! - who else would be more of a risk to catch it and give it to him???

We're not supposed to 'run out' -- the news releases have said that Canada ordered *more* than enough vaccine for everyone. Alberta insists that they have enough for everyone. I guess time will tell...

My epileptic dd was able to get a shot yesterday at the county health dept. They told me on the phone that it would be flumist, but when we got in there the nurse said they had just received the shot form yesterday. They are only vaccinating health care providers, people with medical issues, and I think pregnant women right now. They wouldn't do my two younger daughters. I hope they will be able to be vaccinated in early November when our peds clinic is supposed to get their vaccine supply. I don't think anyone will let me get a shot for some time even if I'm the care provider for my dd. There just isn't much available right now.

I'm sure the booster doesn't have to be exactly 1 month later. If you wait until you return home you can do it then. Hopefully the supply will be a bit better at the end of November and there should be more options of where you can get shots.

Our public health dept was giving it to the high risk groups and 18 year old children who are in college. We called and they also took homeschooled children because they won't be getting it at school. It was quite orderly but I heard that they ran out at the end of the day. Apparently there was quite a loud set to when a woman with a heart condition didn't get the last shot. She was screaming at the woman in front of her once they got to the parking lot...I think we have a couple of three weeks before more vaccine arrives here. The H1N1 flu has arrived and taken a couple of hundred middle school students ill.

Our dr's office had a clinic yesterday. As of yesterday morning, they still weren't sure they were actually going to receive any.

They were vaccinating only kids under 10 and at-risk. My youngest is under 10, and my other two have had RAD, so I was able to get them all the shots (they had the mist too, but I requested the shots - don't like live-virus vaccine if I can help it).

All the public health depts here have postponed their clinics to "sometime in Nov" because of inability to get the vax.

I received it at a local health dept. clinic. However, our heath departments are handling this very different than the OP's did.

At this point they are only offering it to pregnant woman and children 6 months - 18 years with underlying medical conditions. Once they have vaccinated these two groups they will open it up to healthy children, healthcare workers and adults with underlying medical conditions. After that group they will open it up to healthy adults ages 19-49.

It is believed that this particular strain of flu is not hitting the elderly as hard so they will be the last group, unless of couse they have underlying medical conditions.

We were able to receive it because my son falls in the group for children with underlying medical conditions. Since he is high risk they vaccinated all of us in an effort to protect him.

He also cannot receive the live mist vaccine so we had to get the vax.

There is such a high demand for this vax that I believe the local health depts, doctors offices, etc should be more cautious with who they are allowing to receive the vax. I have been impressed overall with the way our state has been handling the delivery of the vax.

I'm all for getting everyone vaccinated. I just believe that the highest risk groups should receive it first so that those at increased risk of severe complications are guaranteed to get one, therefore giving them the added protection they need.

I completely disagree with this. That mom most definitely should have received the vax. She is the one most likely to expose him to it!!

When my son received it (high risk due to Leukemia) they vaccinated the whole family. They told us that if one person in the household qualifies then they vaccinate the whole family in an effort to protect that person. This is the way it should be.

I really feel sorry for that mom. I would have been livid!