Menu

HOD Creation to Christ users-how do you like it so far?

HappyGrace

I really like CTC. I am using it with my oldest dd. I love how independent it is (since she has 4 younger siblings). I am pleased with how they are encouraged to have their own quiet time reading the Bible and praying. I am learning a lot just reading "Genesis Find Our Roots" and "A Child's Geography" and she is enjoying them too (especially the latter). It took her a bit to get used to "Story of the Ancient World" but she likes it now and she loves the Jeanne Fulbright book. The only thing she is not crazy about is the Diana Waring CD's and some of the notebooking. She hates to write so any writing more than an sentence or two is torture to her. After trying a few other grammar programs the past few years, she is very happy with Rod & Staff. She also loves the painting in poetry (but she loves art of any kind). We are using MUS for math and it is very easy to sub your own math program. Write with the Best I has also been a good fit for my hates-to-physically write dd since it does thing in bite size. She does like to make up stories, just hates to write them out. We are using the History genre for story time and really like the selections. I am especially liking Jashuba's Journal and how it teaches and applies Old Testament law in a fun and interesting way. CTC and all the HOD programs we have used so far have been a really good fit for our family.

Thanks so much for the detailed info!

I LOVE the books she has scheduled but I tried two other HOD programs in the past (LHTH and LHFHG) and the teaching style was not a good fit. CTC seems a little better though. With Ancients next year my main goal is delving deep into biblical history and basking in God's glory, and CTC seems to lend itself to that.

Happy Grace,

I have not used CTC, but I have tried a couple other HOD programs.... LHFHG, Beyond, and Preparing. I think I understand what you're saying about teaching style in the first two guides. I enjoyed what we completed of Beyond and Preparing, but I put LHFHG away after the second week.

I considered CTC for us for this year - and love many of the resources she chose, but I wanted all my kids on the same history and thought I would end up tweaking so much it wouldn't be worth it. As it is, I am using SAW with all my kids but having my oldest do extra reading, narrations, etc., adding picture books for my youngers. My oldest already had a good understanding of the events and I felt he was ready to dig deeper into the various civilizations. I am not protecting them from the cultures and the mythology as much as I think CTC does.

Btw, I did try TOG thinking it would be the ultimate way to combine different levels but it was too much for me. I can see that it would really shine in the high school years, but until then it was too much work on my part for what I wanted it for. I seem to think in terms of "spines" and "extra readings" - so the more "unit study" approach of TOG just worked against my own hard-headed way.

I don't know if any of that is helpful, but if nothing else, you are not alone in your looking and pondering! :)

Maybe My Father's World would be a good balance between HOD and TOG? I think everyone knows I'm a longtime MFW user, but I have tried HOD, too. And I was on the fence for a little while about TOG. They all have their special uniqueness that makes them attractive, but if your main draw to HOD is the books, maybe you could add those to MFW in lieu of book basket? And if you like the science in HOD, maybe do that instead of MFW's science.... Just some ideas. Lots of tweaking, but it's doable if you're willing. Just depends on what you like best about each program.

Lynn-sounds like we are very much in the same boat! I have a 10yr old working on an advanced level and a 7yr old.

I can never find what I'm looking for and for the last three yrs have ended up making up my own SL/WP style schedule using the spine of my choice and adding in readalouds, mapping, videos, etc., like it sounds like you're doing with SAW. (And I add in age-appropriate resources for my younger.) I considered doing just what you're doing for next year, but I'm just tired of doing that and want something made up for me! The MAIN reason is that I also don't feel I was very good at doing Biblical tie in with great discussion questions, etc., like you get with TOG.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I would end up tweaking CTC so much it would defeat the purpose of using it. But I was hoping people would be writing how great it was-meaty and in depth!

It would make sense to start with TOG, which has mostly everything I want, and pare it back to what I want, but I know I'd be overwhelmed. And it's expensive to do that! If I could resell the DE, I would do TOG, but it's a big investment for not being able to resell. But I love that their student activity pages, mapping, writing, etc. is already tied in.

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences-good to know I'm not alone!

Donna-I have looked very seriously and in depth at the samples for MFW CTG. Also, I had MFW K and have seen higher levels at MFW at convention. I was thinking it would be a happy medium and I think that it is, in terms of workload. I do like the layout too. Your suggestion is a good one in terms of balance between CTC and TOG, and I thank you so much for it!

But please forgive me and correct me if I'm wrong, to me it just looks like it kind of boils down to a reading list/schedule? :confused: It is missing all the mapping, and discussion questions and writing and so on that TOG has. I was actually going to post this question to MFW users last week, thinking I'm missing something because it gets such rave reviews, but I didn't want to seem offensive. Everyone says how God-honoring it is, and I believe that. But to me it kind of looks like what I can already do on my own-pick a spine and add in books and a few activities, timeline, etc.

I do not mean to sound disparaging at all! MFW is a blessing to the homeschool community!

But please forgive me and correct me if I'm wrong, to me it just looks like it kind of boils down to a reading list/schedule? :confused: It is missing all the mapping, and discussion questions and writing and so on that TOG has. I was actually going to post this question to MFW users last week, thinking I'm missing something because it gets such rave reviews, but I didn't want to seem offensive. Everyone says how God-honoring it is, and I believe that. But to me it kind of looks like what I can already do on my own-pick a spine and add in books and a few activities, timeline, etc.

I do not mean to sound disparaging at all! MFW is a blessing to the homeschool community!

Not a problem! It's good to ask questions. :)

No, it's not just a reading schedule and booklist. MFW *does* include mapwork, a timeline, notebooking, narrations (both written and oral), dictation, copywork, discussion ideas... lots and lots of discussion.... mostly oral in the younger years. The heart of MFW is found in the manuals... the biblical worldview that's taught by combining Bible and history the way they do. It's non-denominational so you're not getting someone's denominational teaching; you're getting an overall biblical worldview that you should then be able to take back to your church and your family ministry and implement. MFW does this by combining both secular and Christian resources, and then teaching from the manual, providing both structure and flexibility for YOU, the parent, to be your child's teacher.

Do you realize that a lot of the teacher notes and discussion questions found in TOG, which MFW doesn't have, are photocopies of pages out of an encyclopedia or other resources? That's what some of the "missing" discussion topics are. With MFW, the only difference is that you look up those things yourself in the resources provided (which I actually think is a good thing because it teaches the child the process of doing research without it being a research "assignment"). And it makes the TM a little smaller. Maybe some think that "bigger is better"? :tongue_smilie: Maybe that's one reason TOG ran into problems with the cost of printing? And that's not intended to be a "slam" against TOG users... at all. I'm just pointing out that IS one of the main differences between MFW and TOG.... one of the things that makes some people think MFW is somehow inadequate. The information is there. It just *looks* different than in TOG.

As to writing assignments... In the younger years, MFW is primarily based on Charlotte Mason principles for language arts. That's where narrations, dictation, and copywork come in. All of those skills are very effective tools for making good writers when they're older. Some of this built into the daily assignments in the manual, and some of it in the form of their recommended LA resources, PLL and ILL. (ILL does teach the names of parts of speech, btw, in the context of copywork and writing assignments.) Then later, they recommend adding Writing Strands for the basic "how-to" instruction of formal writing, formal grammar, and then research and outlining assignments for the older student. Again, it's "there" .... it just looks different than the way TOG does it.

Some folks do like to add more formal grammar and writing to MFW, earlier than MFW schedules it. That's okay, too. Whatever works for your family. But the great thing is that MFW is flexible enough to be ABLE to do this! I feel that MFW is just right for being able to "size up" for a student who needs it, or to minimalize for the child who needs that. It allows room for ME to do just the bare minimum OR to add more as time and interest allow, whether it be additional reading and notebooking for my oldest, more picture books for my youngest, Latin, an outside writing class, or whatever we want. Some weeks it mean doing no extra *anything*.

Anyway, I hope that helps give a little more insight. Ask more questions if you still want more clarification. :001_smile: You could also spend some time browsing the Archives over at the MFW forums.

Thanks, Donna. It is hard to get a good feel w/out really seeing the whole TM. Thanks so much for the extra insight!

It does help to be able to sit down and spend some time with it. If you can get to a convention where they have a booth, they won't mind you pulling up a chair and sitting down with the manual. I've seen lots of people do that. My hubby did it last year when looking through the high school stuff. Make a list of questions and ask away!

If convention isn't an option, they do have a 30-day money back guarantee if you want to order it and look through it that way.

We are loving Heart of Dakota's Creation to Christ program.

You can look on my blog for weeks in review to see some of our work and projects. Buttercup (my 10yo) is the one using CTC. http://daisyhomeschoolblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Week%20in%20Review

I love how it incorporates the Word of God into everything. You go sequentially through scripture. Your children will read the entire book of Genesis and most of Exodus and then she begins a schedule of hitting the highlight chapters of ancient Biblical history. I know they will read an entire Gospel and all of Acts also. With Beechick's Genesis Roots book you'll do an indepth Bible study of Gen 1-11. It has amazing stuff in it! A Child's Geography vol. 2 fleshes out the locations the children are reading about and really brings it to life. Our first read-aloud book was Dinosaurs of Eden and we had long discussions about the Gospel, creationism, etc.

I like that HOD incorporated language arts & math that I was already using (R&S English & Singapore) but added Write with the Best which is a more CM approach to writing. There is plenty of writing added in. I'm glad as I feel a lot of programs are too light in this area.

The poetry is a wonderful CM addition. Added to all the wonderful books are great hands-on crafts and projects that the students can actually figure out and complete on their OWN. Yippee.

Science is not fluff. They expect experiment labs, answers to weekly questions in full sentences, notebooking pages, daily reading & weekly narration.

I really love that HOD sets up the TM to actually tell you what should be done independently and where you, as a parent, need to step in. This has given my daughter greater independence but keeps us having cozy couch time also.

Most of all my daughter has grown in her walk with Christ. She is asking questions and hunting down answers. It has so far been a rigorous curriculum that is steeped in God's Word. I couldn't ask for anything better, imo.

Thanks again, Donna. Convention this yr may be a good idea-to sit down with both TOG and MFW; HOD too, if they're there!

Daisy-I just read all your CTC posts on your blog-nice blog! I'm wondering if I can maybe beef HOD up a little, maybe make sci worksheets up like you did, etc. Lots to pray about! Anyway, I enjoyed your post and blog, thanks!

Write with the Best I has also been a good fit for my hates-to-physically write dd since it does thing in bite size. She does like to make up stories, just hates to write them out.

This is a helpful bit of info. I am considering CTC for DS next year and was wondering if WWTB would be too much for him since he also hates to write. :001_smile:

• 2 weeks later...

I really love that HOD sets up the TM to actually tell you what should be done independently and where you, as a parent, need to step in. This has given my daughter greater independence but keeps us having cozy couch time also.

Oh, I just love the HOD TMs! My sons think of the guides are theirs rather than mine! Both of them enjoy looking at each day's lessons and talking about what they get to do that day. We love the boxes. It makes the whole program so manageable. My oldest son is learning to plan his day and schedule his own work in a way that gets everything done at a pace that he enjoys. I feel so peaceful and confident when I see him hovered over his TM, making his own decisions about how his day will progress. I am really looking forward to CTC. I'm glad I decided to have him do Preparing first. It really does get them ready and primed for CTC. Preparing gets them ready for the independence that is required for CTC.

Do you read aloud the science and history from CTC? I'm considering combining all 3 kids in CTC next year, but only my oldest would really be doing the program. The younger two would just be there to listen in on the history and science. IF I did this, are any of the selections too graphic for younger kids?

Thanks,

Alison

My DD12 is loving CTC. She is working independantly so much better now. I find it EXTREMELY thorough. I just love how much bible is in it. I have learned so much from the Child's Geography, fascinating. So far the read alouds have been perfect for my very sensitive daughter. I could go on and on.:)

Daisy-I just read all your CTC posts on your blog-nice blog! I'm wondering if I can maybe beef HOD up a little, maybe make sci worksheets up like you did, etc. Lots to pray about! Anyway, I enjoyed your post and blog, thanks!

Some of the activities are included in CTC science. Every week they do the following.

Notebooking (currently making an animal tracks book)

Narration

Experiment with lab sheet

Answer in writing 5 questions on the day's reading

I like to add more notebooking type stuff just because my daughter loves that.

Do you read aloud the science and history from CTC? I'm considering combining all 3 kids in CTC next year, but only my oldest would really be doing the program. The younger two would just be there to listen in on the history and science. IF I did this, are any of the selections too graphic for younger kids?

Thanks,

Alison

Alison,

I don't read the history or science aloud to my 11 yo dd (she reads it on her own), but if I was combining my 9yo dd with her I would

Hi Alison. I just received my CTC Teacher Guide and it is a little overwhelming!:001_smile: My plan was to use it for my 11 year old 5th grader and 10 year old 4th grader starting in January. However, I don't see any way my 4th grader will be able to use the guide as written. I also have a 1st grader.

Here are some thoughts if you really do want to have your son get through a 4 year rotation and really want to start with CTC. You could use CTC and not do the notebooking for History. You could have him do the written narration on Thursday, but not all the other copywork and filling in boxes. You could have him do the timeline with only drawing the picture and adding a date. You could write some of the information in for him. You may want to skip any writing in the ind. history box and just have him do the drawing and listening assignments. Same for Science....have him do the reading, and answer the questions orally. Do the experiment with him and take pictures for the lab sheet instead of all the writing. Actually, if you use the program this way, you could combine all your kids and just do all the reading aloud. It may not be ideal though, because you would have to continue tweaking the guides in the future.

MFW CTG may be a better fit for your family, but I think CTC could work with some tweaking.:001_smile:

Another option is to just continue on to Bigger Hearts with all you kids and have your oldest do the extensions which will have him practice working independantly. Then next year move on to Preparing (with ext for oldest), which is a lot of ancient history, if I remember correctly about 1/2 the year was ancients. Then after that, if your son is ready for more ind. work, you could move him into the last two years of HOD history cycle. And your youngers would just move on to CTC.... In doing it this way, your oldest would have gotten a pretty good amount of ancient and middle ages through Preparing, then on to the early and modern time periods. And then he would have a very indepth year of ancients in 9th grade, if you still want to use MFW.:001_smile:

Sorry for such a long, rambling post. I have been thinking through different options for my family so much for the past couple weeks, that I think I have tried every possible combination in my head!:001_smile: As much as I love HOD, I'm not sure I can pull off three programs. I may end up trying MFW again. Hope this helps in some way.

Allison

Thanks Kay.

I just posted another question to CTC users, but maybe I should just keep this one going. My initial thoughts on looking at CTC is that my son will be overwhelmed and in tears. Now I'm thinking I like MFW's CTG better, but I like the CTC books better. I'm stumped :glare:

Alison

How about if you do CTG and just add the books you like from CTC?

For me personally, I am torn between MFW and HOD as well. I just don't know which one will be a better fit for our family. I have three daughters (and we aren't having any more.) They are all two grade levels apart. Right now I have plans to combine my two oldest in HOD, because they are the closest in age (only 19 months apart) and my middle child is somewhat advanced for her age. She can already read some very simple words at age 2, just by picking up what I've been teaching her older sister, lol! I would consider MFW for the ease of combining ALL of them together eventually, however that wouldn't happen for quite a while, because by the time my youngest is in 2nd grade and old enough to combine, my oldest will be in 6th grade and on year 4 of MFW and so we'd really only get to combine all 3 of them for two years.....year 4 and 5. So, I'm not really sure which program will end up being the best for us in the long run.

Edited by jewel7123

For me personally, I am torn between MFW and HOD as well. I just don't know which one will be a better fit for our family. I have three daughters (and we aren't having any more.) They are all two grade levels apart. Right now I have plans to combine my two oldest in HOD, because they are the closest in age (only 19 months apart) and my middle child is somewhat advanced for her age. She can already read some very simple words at age 2, just by picking up what I've been teaching her older sister, lol! I would consider MFW for the ease of combining ALL of them together eventually, however that wouldn't happen for quite a while, because by the time my youngest is in 2nd grade and old enough to combine, my oldest will be in 6th grade and on year 4 of MFW and so we'd really only get to combine all 3 of them for two years.....year 4 and 5. So, I'm not really sure which program will end up being the best for us in the long run.

Actually, there's a better way to do it than what you're thinking, but I'm on my way out the door in just a few minutes. We're meeting someone to bring home our new kitty. :)

I got your PM and will respond after while. Gotta run! :auto:

Actually, there's a better way to do it than what you're thinking, but I'm on my way out the door in just a few minutes. We're meeting someone to bring home our new kitty. :)

I got your PM and will respond after while. Gotta run! :auto:

Just bumping this up as I'd still love to hear from ya. :D

• 1 year later...

I would love to hear Donna A's rest of the story.

I am on unit 13 of CTC. I have mixed feelings. I've decided that I do not like the independent part of the program ( a lot of it) because my 11 year old is going off and shutting his door to do his schoolwork, and I don't really know what he's studying. I guess I could finish my day and spend my limited quiet time at night reading over the same material that he has read, but I just don't.

My son has very much enjoyed the boy interest set of books. We dropped Genesis Finding our Roots very quickly, I didn't like it and neither did my son. We skip the history projects because my son doesn't like those things, and we never get around to the painting, so my paints are gathering dust. My son doesn't like that he will read a Bible section, then basically read about the same thing in the Story of the Ancient World, but it's not that big of a deal. He loves the Apologia science book. I like the geography book. I use MUS instead of Singapore, and that's easy to replace. We started off doing their spelling for a few weeks but my son prefered All About Spelling, so we switched back.

I was doing Write with the Best and liked it fine. I wasn't loving it, but I don't know that I will ever love a writing program. I really like Rod and Staff grammar for my son, it's a great fit. I found out I didn't like going half pace and missed those days where we were doing the writing program...I like the flow better when Ijust stopped Write with the Best and use Rod and Staff every day (which includes writing anyway).

That's basically what we are doing. I am slowing the schedule down quite a bit and discussing more of his history and science with him so I can stay connected in his studies. I'm not sure if I'll use RTR. I spent several months thinking something wasn't quiet right in our homeschool and it finally dawned on me it was a lack of togetherness...I missed that aspect of it. I know it'll happen (independence that is) in high school and I felt like it was just too son for my son to be walking off and shutting his door all the time...so I'm still trying to figure out what next year's science and history will be. I do think RTR looks good, I'm just not sure I want to spend the time tweaking and changing it to make it so I can combine my younger girls in it.

HTH,

Alison

Alison, what about just asking your son to do parts of it with the family? Like the Bible or History. You could take turns reading it aloud and then be connected. We do this sometimes. My son stays at the kitchen table or on the couch to do all his work, so we are having discussion as the day goes on, and we all enjoy that! Also, he listens in on some of what my daughter is doing in Bigger. Then we are all connected with each other, and it is quite nice!

I need to take a picture of our dining room walls, they are covered with the beautiful poetry/watercolors we have done each week. My son gets it all together and helps his younger sibs do it, too. A break for me, and absolute delight to all of them. It is one of our favorite parts! I have them do it in the afternoon when everything else is done.

Thanks for the ideas. I could try that, but I'm afraid some of it would be to difficult for my younger ones to pay attention to. My middle daughter has a hard time sitting still and listening.

What I've done to help us out is to all sit down to do memory work, a vocab. word, handwriting, and MFW Adventures Bible and history. That's starts us off with being together. Then I do his math and English, then he goes off to start on CTC stuff. My kids tend to get on each others nerves when they are doing the basics, so I usually work with them individually at the table and have the other two doing more independent things.

I am slowly figuring out what is working and what isn't. While CTC is a great program, there's just something about it that I don't care for. Honestly, it feels like a lot of busywork...even though it's Charlotte Mason busywork :tongue_smilie: I just have to learn to tweak it and be able to stay involved with him. I guess there are no perfect curriculums out there.

I do hope to one day do the painting lessons. It would probably be more of a priority if he enjoyed painting.

Alison

it feels like a lot of busywork...even though it's Charlotte Mason busywork :tongue_smilie:

So you'd be drawn more to a program that has less writing/arts/hands on?

Have you considered dropping the follow-up assignments and using the program more like a core a la Sonlight? You could keep the components that you and your DS enjoy. If you did do this though I'd recommend ramping up your LA as there is so much interwoven in the program that you'd lose. I also would be loathe to drop the dictation.

even though it's Charlotte Mason busywork

And herein lies the paradox.... Charlotte Mason didn't believe in busywork. :tongue_smilie:

I had forgotten all about this thread! :001_huh: I'll have to try and remember what all about CTC didn't work for us... on my way out the door in literally 3 minutes for piano lesson (dd's, not mine, LOL) and a couple errands. I'll be back!

Hmm...personally, I don't feel like there is busywork

I have to agree with this. We have found the assignments concise and valuable. There IS writing scheduled across the curriculum, and if you don't like this, you won't like the program.

To answer the OP, we VERY happy with CTC. We love:

the layout of the guide

choice of resources

the fact it's scheduled for four days a week

that it moves toward independence

that it integrates classical/CM skills: copywork, dictation, written and oral narrations

the frequent use of the Bible

that the hands-on component is simple

the frequent sketching and the watercolors

that it uses Draw and Write Through History and Diana Waring's audios

Honestly, my son dislikes the writing as much as the next boy, but I have been AMAZED at how his writing skills have blossomed this year. I can report he enjoys every aspect of the program except for the writing. :001_smile:

We are in ancient Greece now, and it is fascinating. I am learning so much with DS.

I am sometimes tempted to plan out my own curriculum for upcoming years (just because I enjoy doing so) but I really don't think I could come up with anything better on my own. I feel very much that all our bases are getting covered and my DS will be well-prepared for middle-and high-school years.