Menu

One year anniversary of running!

One year ago today, I laced up my new running shoes and set out to do the first day of Couch to 5K. I thought I was going to die! LOL I have never been a physically active person, despite always being fairly thin. I didn't do sports as a child/teen, nor did I do ballet or gymnastics!

With the support of the ladies on this board, I was able to complete the Couch to 5K program, and signed up for a few 5K races! Now this coming Saturday I will be participating in my first 10K race! It's amazing to me that just last weekend, I referred to a 3 mile jog as a "short run"! ;) And me, the woman who hibernated in the Georgia winters as soon as it got below 55 degrees, now gets up and out the door when it's in the 30s to get a run in! It's completely changed my body and my mind!

So I thank everyone who encouraged me and gave me support when I was sure I couldn't do it! And I want to pass the encouragement and support on to others who are in the middle of Couch to 5K or who have thought about it but said, "I can't run."

Yes, it is hard, and it's nice to hear from someone who has been there done that. I started C5K in July and only just moved into week 3. Every week is awful. I'm doing my first 5K this saturday and I'm really not happy about it. DH thinks it will be fine and will give me motivation to keep going. I've been sick to my stomach and full of anxiety since last saturday! I may be under the bed by then. :)

:party: Woohoo!!!!!! I remember when you first started! Congratulations! And, good luck on your 10K. I actually prefer the 10K distance.

Night Elf - Keep on keepin' on! Consistency is key. You will get there!!!! You'll be fine in your race on Saturday. Once you start walk/running, you nerves will calm somewhat. And, you'll feel GREAT when you're done. Races give me the motivation I need to keep going day to day.

I started running 1 1/2 years ago. It was REALLY hard at first. I remember the first day I ran 3 miles and didn't have to walk. It felt amazing!!! You'll get there!!

Yes, it is hard, and it's nice to hear from someone who has been there done that. I started C5K in July and only just moved into week 3. Every week is awful. I'm doing my first 5K this saturday and I'm really not happy about it. DH thinks it will be fine and will give me motivation to keep going. I've been sick to my stomach and full of anxiety since last saturday! I may be under the bed by then. :)

The night before my 1st 5k I was unable to sleep AT ALL. I had never done that before. I stayed up all night. I was sure I would be unable to run (or even walk). But I did it. I followed my plan (which was a 4/1 pattern I read about on running world. Run 4 minutes, walk 1 minute) and I was able to finish faster than I thought I could.

You can do it!

Congratulations!

I'm feeling inspired. As a fellow Atlantan, I understand the tendency to hole up inside when it drops below 55!

I used to love to run, though. I was a distance runner and so now that I'm completely inactive I get frustrated that I can't go very far without feeling I'm going to lose a lung!

Patience, I suppose. I really want to get back out there.

Do you recommend this program? I'm not familiar with it.

Beth, just do the best you can, even if it means walking part or most of the way! You could even do the next C25K day during the race, walking or jogging according to the plan, then walking the remainder of the race.

I get very nervous before races, so just try to relax and know that other people will be there who will be walking, too! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

:party: Woohoo!!!!!! I remember when you first started! Congratulations! And, good luck on your 10K. I actually prefer the 10K distance.

I've been nervous because I've never done my 'long run' in the morning. So last Saturday I got up and was at the park by 7:30, and it went very well, even though it was frigid (for GA in October LOL). My nerves are the hardest part. I'm going to make a playlist of my favorite band, and all my slow soothing songs for the beginning to see if that helps my nerves.

And I figure, it's my first 10K. No matter my time, it's a PR! ;)

Congratulations!

I'm feeling inspired. As a fellow Atlantan, I understand the tendency to hole up inside when it drops below 55!

I used to love to run, though. I was a distance runner and so now that I'm completely inactive I get frustrated that I can't go very far without feeling I'm going to lose a lung!

Patience, I suppose. I really want to get back out there.

Do you recommend this program? I'm not familiar with it.

I really recommend the program! It might be harder for you since you've been a runner before. But if you're needing something that will get you out there on a regular basis and build you back into 5K in 2 months, this is absolutely the program for you!