Menu

Is anyone using Classical Writing's Primer in 2nd grade?

Jane

If so, can you tell me what other programs you use to round out your second grader's language arts program? Also, how much time do you schedule for CW each week?

(I posted a more general thread below, but would also like to try one specific to CW because I'm leaning towards it for my rising 2nd grader.)

We're using it. 10 minutes a day, 4 days a week. We also do FLL for grammar and occasional spelling rules from her misspelled words in things she writes on her own for fun.

We do less copywork than is in the lessons, we need more work on handwriting first. The sentences she doesn't write, I have her tell me the capitalization and punctuation orally.

Both she and my son are loving the stories in Aesop's Fables. We got this version, it has nice color pictures and a CD.

If she wasn't reading so well, we'd still be doing phonics, we did Webster's Speller and that got her reading anything.

(I need to update my signature!)

Edited by ElizabethB

My 3rd grader is using it and just does a day's spread each day usually1-- It's labeled as Week #, Day #1-4. We only add in grammar-- R&S 3. You could probably limit the copywork selections to a max of, say 5-10 min. per day, and then add in R&S 2 if you feel you need more grammar. Everything is covered pretty well otherwise and honestly, you could hold off on the extra grammar until 3rd and just start with R&S 3 (if you are going to use R&S).

We are using it for 2nd grade. I had to limit the copywork-it was too much for ds....I like the idea of having him say the punctuation, etc. orally. For reading, the classical writing site has a booklist of books. We have been finishing up some other stuff but are getting ready to start choosing from that list. I think I will have him read it to me. I am holding off on grammer until next year. I think I read the primer needs a spelling and handwriting program (???) but we are not doing spelling yet either. I might after January;I wanted to see how much he picked up.

Thank you, ladies. You all seem to agree that the amount of copywork is the biggest drawback, but is also easily corrected. I'm leaning towards a cursive writing program for 2nd grade that is also rather lengthy in its copying requirements so I'll take it all into consideration.

I noticed none of you are adding in a separate formal spelling program. Is this typical? Would you not recommend a separate program?

My upcoming 2nd grader is the strongest writer I've had thus far, so I'm willing to have the bar set a little higher.

We're using it. 10 minutes a day, 4 days a week. We also do FLL for grammar and occasional spelling rules from her misspelled words in things she writes on her own for fun.

We do less copywork than is in the lessons, we need more work on handwriting first. The sentences she doesn't write, I have her tell me the capitalization and punctuation orally.

Both she and my son are loving the stories in Aesop's Fables. We got this version, it has nice color pictures and a CD.

If she wasn't reading so well, we'd still be doing phonics, we did Webster's Speller and that got her reading anything.

(I need to update my signature!)

My routine with my 2nd grade son is almost identical. We are on week 11 of Autumn Primer and do FLL as well, usually not that much copywork but are working on his handwriting (it is very poor) with Ready Write worksheets, HWT, and also some free downloads of the morals from Aesop I found on Lulu to tie in. When we finish this program (next week!) I am planning to move to either WWE 1 or 2...haven't decided yet and I bought both used from a lovely lady on this board.

When we finish this program (next week!) I am planning to move to either WWE 1 or 2...haven't decided yet and I bought both used from a lovely lady on this board.

Verity,

I am also interested in using this program next year with my dd and am trying to get all the pros and cons of it! Could you please tell us why you are switching programs?

I'm using CW Primer this year with my 2nd grader. This is my first year homeschooling. My son is a pretty strong reader and hasn't had any trouble with the amount of copywork. (The quality of his writing, however, is another topic entirely!) In addition to CW Primer, we also use FLL and Spelling by Sound and Structure (R&S) as recommended by MFW Adventures, which is our main curriculum. I skip FLL lessons that may be redundant with what we are doing in CWP in terms of amount of copywork, picture study, etc. We are also starting cursive this year. CWP can take anywhere from 10-20 minutes total a day. The days we do an Aesop' Fable take us longer, to read the story, define the vocabulary, etc. HTH!