Menu

A peek into a language arts session at our house

Janice in NJ

I'm smart enough to know that I need a guide; we have good materials that are working for us.

What are your "materials" of choice? TOG, I'm assuming -- and R & S. What did you do to prepare your oldest ds for Plato?

And what happened to your blog? I enjoyed it.

Thanks again, Janice. This has been a fun thread (and quite a wake up call, for me!) :)

Eventually I just kept running into more and more and more of this "stuff" - things that didn't seem useful at first glance - but then popped up to smack me in the face later on:

Relative pronouns

Principal parts of verbs

Demonstrative pronouns

Participles

Staring down the barrel of this stuff in French I, Spanish I, and Latin I, I realized, "Oops. Gotta learn THAT now. Darn. Should have just done what the book told me to do back then. Oh well." We went back. We did it. Yes, we had done it before, but not for real. I didn't really believe that we needed it. It didn't seem useful, so we did the exercises in the book, but no one really learned it. Not even me.

Oh, yes, yes, yes. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's done this. My boys (and I) have been sliding on the principal parts of verbs for a while now, and they're about to come right up against them in Latin. We're all going to buckle down and learn those babies.

I've had to learn this stuff right along with my kids. And then I finally got to a place where I realized that it's easier to dip ahead on my own . . . But I am actually discovering that learning all of this stuff is more fun than thinking about learning all of this stuff.

This has been a hard lesson for me to learn, and I still don't always put it into practice. It really is much easier if I've gone ahead a little.

Your posts and videos have been great inspirations to me, Janice!! You are putting in the hard work that it takes to do this job, and you've given me a swift kick in the pants which I definitely needed.

Thank you. :)

Update: Thanks to everyone for your kind and generous words. I went ahead and pulled the clips from You Tube tonight. I figured that anyone who wanted to take the time to sit through them had probably already done it. :001_smile:

We weren't done watching yet! My dd wanted to finish seeing them tonight and they are gone! Gosh darn it anyway! :toetap05:

Thanks so much for sharing them, though. How neat to see into the world of another homeschooling family and get ideas. Great job! :)

I sat down last night and thought I finally had time to watch your videos! (Of course, you'd already removed them.) I'd still really like to see them! I'm about to begin TOG with a 6th grader, and I'm imagining great discussions that I want for our future, without really having a concrete idea about what these will look like and exactly how we'll get there.

I'll join with the last few posts to ask if you'll put these back up for a little while longer. (Pretty please?)