Menu

When is the best age to start working on handwriting?

Earth Yarn

Ok DS is still young at 2 3/4 old but he is my oldest and I don't have any experience yet LOL right now we do things like draw circles counter clockwise and make lines. When are you supposed to start with handwriting? We are going to be using ZB when the time comes but I am unsure when that time should be if that makes any sense :P

Again so sorry for all the questions I am still learning and you guys are super awesome and knowledgeable! I would have made one big post of questions but I thought it would be too overwhelming to read through LOL

Now's the best time to start looking into if you want to teach printing or cursive first. I believe that Cursive First makes the most sense, and wish that I could undo what was done with my oldest girls... Cursive First for my son! There are some great sites about it.. and the book I use is "Cursive First" and goes along with SWR, although I'm using it with WRTR. SWR is more popular... Spell to Write and Read by Wanda Sanseri.... she's going to be putting out a video for her seminar soon... and you may be able to get to a conference...

By 4 or 5... my son knew all the sounds for the phonograms... and is starting to read at 6 (I didn't push him)

Carrie:-)

When you have your dc working on writing circles and lines, you're doing handwriting. :-)

Here's a tip: Teach your dc to hold his writing implement properly from the very beginning. Every time he picks up a crayon or anything to write with, help him hold it properly. If you wait until he's 5, even, and try to correct the monkey grip on his pencil, you'll be fighting an uphill battle.:glare:

I like using Donna Young's printing readiness pages around 3. You can print them out and best of all they are free.

http://donnayoung.org/penmanship/redines.htm

I moves to these "big" manuscript practice sheets from Donna Young after the readiness pages but before a formal handwriting program.

http://donnayoung.org/penmanship/k_1.htm

Edited by OpenMinded
added a link