Menu

are you planning on travelling around the holiday?

my mil wants us to come visit around christmas. we are in alaska and she's in massachusetts, we would have to travel by plane. it would just be me, dd7, ds5 and ds 11mos (by then). my dh is currently deployed.

i'm not sure i want to take on this trip on my own with three kids, but i know my two older ones would be so excited about the visit. also, my dh's aunt would be "sponsoring" the plane tickets with her airmiles. the catch is we'd have to stay for four weeks, which to me just seems way too long to be away from my own home. not only that, but my mil can, shall we say, be difficult to be around for tha long lol

so i'm thinking about wether or not i should take this trip. i'm also concerned about getting sick while we're travelling.

are you taking a trip around the holidays?

my mil wants us to come visit around christmas. we are in alaska and she's in massachusetts, we would have to travel by plane. it would just be me, dd7, ds5 and ds 11mos (by then). my dh is currently deployed.

i'm not sure i want to take on this trip on my own with three kids, but i know my two older ones would be so excited about the visit. also, my dh's aunt would be "sponsoring" the plane tickets with her airmiles. the catch is we'd have to stay for four weeks, which to me just seems way too long to be away from my own home. not only that, but my mil can, shall we say, be difficult to be around for tha long lol

so i'm thinking about wether or not i should take this trip. i'm also concerned about getting sick while we're travelling.

are you taking a trip around the holidays?

Can she just come to you?

No, we don't travel to relatives for Christmas...we visit the closer grandparents, but staying over, nope.

In my family, Thanksgiving is an extended family get-together as well as anytime a military family member is able to get home.

Hmmmm....well, I don't normally like to travel at Christmas. However, I have done a Christmas without my dh. Actually, 2 of them, both times he was deployed. They're no fun. I hated it. I was so emotional, yet I had to keep it in check for the kids, you know? That being said, I would probably go ahead and do it, since I didn't have to pay for my own tickets. I have a mother-in-law who is difficult to be around...I would still do it. I have to say, I am insanely jealous...I LOVED Alaska. We've been trying to get back there for years now, the Army keeps saying no. My best friend lives in North Pole. One of these days, I'll get back there. :-)

Okay, I've worked in Alaska before in November. Dark. No sun. We see sun in the lower 48 in December. I guess I would do it, especially since someone else is getting the tickets. Can you plan any sidetrips to see friends/other family while you are down? That would break up the time.

Okay, I've worked in Alaska before in November. Dark. No sun. We see sun in the lower 48 in December. I guess I would do it, especially since someone else is getting the tickets. Can you plan any sidetrips to see friends/other family while you are down? That would break up the time.

Yep, what she said.

Even if you couldn't visit other family, I'd plan some activities. Play tourist in the area. Go to the museums. See some movies.

There is a ton of fun stuff for homeschoolers to do in New England! With a 4 week trip, it would be easy to find time to play tourist when local kids are still in school. You could plan a couple of short trips (ie. one or two hotel nights) a few hours away from your relatives, and call it part of homeschooling. :D