Menu

SOTW question

NavyWifeandMommy

Can you get away with just dong SOTW and activity guide w/o extra recommended books. I am not sure what my options are when we move but I know we won't continue on with HOD. My daughter doesn't like the skipping around in books and I have to agree with her. Why didn't I listen to myself when we did Bigger. Oh well lesson learned. She would like to read one book at a time and do extras with it.

Can you get away with just dong SOTW and activity guide w/o extra recommended books. I am not sure what my options are when we move but I know we won't continue on with HOD. My daughter doesn't like the skipping around in books and I have to agree with her. Why didn't I listen to myself when we did Bigger. Oh well lesson learned. She would like to read one book at a time and do extras with it.

You most definitely can but honestly those extra books are some of the most fun imho. I would forgo most of the activities for the books if my time was limited. But I am a total book geek and not a crafty person myself! :D

Just wanted to encourage you that SOTW can be done overseas, we are doing it! I did order a few extra history books this year and I got a few free from mainlesson.com, but that's because I don't have the Usborne Encyclopedia or the AG. So far we are loving history and I'm really glad that we stuck with SOTW :).

Thanks for the replies. I am just worried about library acess when we move overseas. The thought of shelling out more money for next year isn't thrilling when I still have the books and guides with me. A sign it was ment to use,imo.
I didn't catch where you will be in the history cycle. All of the required books for Ancient Explorations are available to order directly from Amazon. You can have a look at the booklist. There is also one book with adapted stories from Public Domain sources to go with every week, so that might help you.

http://bringinguplearners.com/mosaic-myths-maps-and-marvels/ is a complete curriculum for ancients that schedules very few (less than 10) extra books.

You can see the rough draft of middle ages here: http://bringinguplearners.com/mosaic/mosaic-2/ I am assuming the format is similar. HTH

I am trying not to buy too many books because I do have a weight limit on our move. We currenlty have five book shelves in our home and I have to drop it down to like two and then each child have a two shelf one. Trying to do the less is more kind of thing. I would like to read a chapter, then find some books thru the school libraries (if possible), and then activity/activities in the book.