Menu

how many of you lapbook?

We really enjoy lapbooking here and have done several over the last few years. We're currently working on a middle ages one right now. Our favorites have been the ones that I have put together for the dc to do, vs purchasing already planned ones from Hands of a Child or Live and Learn press, but that's just our experience.

Are you looking to lapbook for science? Dinah Zike's Big Book of Science has been a really invaluable resource for me when it comes to lapbooks for science topics. I like that the cost is cheap and you can use it to cover so many topics and age levels.

My biggest advice? Get your dc cutting the templates on their own as early as possible. There's so much cutting involved it's best to get 'em started when they're too young to complain too much or you're in for a whole lotta work with each book. :tongue_smilie:

We lapbook, but we only make our own. We use lapbooks as final exams, so the kids have to come up with their own organization, what information they will put in, etc. and present it to the family or co-op. Of course it's different with the younger dc, much more guidance, I take care of organization, but they still do the presentation. I've never tried the ordered ones, so I can't help you there. I can tell you file folders work really well, and if you have daughters, you can *never* buy too much glitter.

We do lapbooks here and there, either for extra stuff that I want to cover or to explore things they're interested in. Since it's not usually our main focus, we tend to take a while to finish one. I mostly come up with them on my own, although I have used mini books and other printables that I've found for free (i.e. from homeschoolshare). I started out doing it on my own before I even knew you could purchase kits. I enjoy doing my own stuff, but it is time consuming, and there's definitely something to be said for not reinventing the wheel! I think as my kids get older I'll have them do more self-generated mini books and other elements. As far as pointers, be absolutely sure you know where the glue goes or where to cut before you commit to it. :glare:

Happy lapbooking! :001_smile:

DD10 is lap booking/note booking Apologia Zoology this year. She is loving it. We are just designing it as we go.

She is quite creative but I also sit and make her some random interactive pieces to help her along. I just take scrap booking paper and make flip books, fans, pull outs and what ever I think of that day. Sometimes she uses them, sometime she doesn't. She often alters the ones I create to make them her own.

I find that scrapbook fasteners are a great way to create inter-actives. I pick them up in cheap stores like Dollar Tree or on clearance at stores like Tuesday Morning.

I am such a new homeschooler, I never had heard of this before this thread.

At what age do you recommend starting this valuable lesson-enhancer?! (I've just spent several minutes checking out the free ideas over at homeschoolshare.com (thanks for the links, iwka).

As you can see, my kids are pretty little (just doing Kinder with PDG, and letting LLL follow along with Kinder - not doing anything different for her specifically).

I am such a new homeschooler, I never had heard of this before this thread.

At what age do you recommend starting this valuable lesson-enhancer?! (I've just spent several minutes checking out the free ideas over at homeschoolshare.com (thanks for the links, iwka).

As you can see, my kids are pretty little (just doing Kinder with PDG, and letting LLL follow along with Kinder - not doing anything different for her specifically).

You can start them at any age. :) Even if your 3 or 4 year old enjoys to do crafts you can do simple lapbooks that explore the different colors or even numbers up to 10. The possibilities are endless, but it's up to each individual child and family as to whether you'll enjoy them or not. ;)