Menu

iPod touch or DSi?

Which would you buy?  

1. 1. Which would you buy?

• DSi
    • Ipod Touch
    • something else (please say what!)

I'm thinking of getting something like this for my 8 & 9yo DDs. Which offers the best range of educational games/apps? Is there any point getting this sort of thing for educational purposes when you could just use a computer? Anyone have both & can offer a hands on comparison?

Ipod touch http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_touch?mco=MTAwMTMwNjI

DSi http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/news/2008/nintendo_introduces_dsi_9691.html

Edited by freerange
Edited to add links

I own neither, but have looked at both. I'm thinking iPod touch for me this Christmas. ;)

I think the DSi has less educational stuff, more just plain video games, and they'll grow out of it at some point. The iPod touch has games plus the educational stuff (including flashcard apps), music/audiobooks, and they can still use it, with different content, 10 years from now. Plus there's no stylus to lose. :tongue_smilie:

Only have an Ipod touch. Awesome. Endless games9Not that I have a single game on mine!). My kids mostly use free games and other apps, but sometimes ask if they can buy one- costs all of $2 usually, and they give me the money and they buy it.

Not that I would give one to kids that young...they are breakable and need care. Dd's touch phone broke recently because it was in her back pocket when she sat down. I have heard many stories of these things going through the wash, getting dunked in the pool....they usually don't survive.

If you are having a tough time deciding, why not get one dd a DSi and the other an iPod Touch? Then they would have both and get the best of what each has to offer.:D I'm not sure how well your dd's get along, however. ;)

My dd's each have a DS and I have an iPhone. As far as educational stuff goes, I'd say the iPod Touch would have more apps for that purpose. The games are fun, but my girls prefer the games on their DS's. Games are also cheaper for the iPod Touch, since DS games are still in the $20 range so if additional costs are a factor, I'd lean towards the iPod. Hmmm. That's a tough choice. I still vote one of each. Have you asked the girls which they would prefer- maybe they'll surprise you and each give a different answer. :tongue_smilie: If I had to choose, for girls that age, I'd get the DSi. IMO, there's only so much learning they are going to do anyways, unless you specify that they may only play educational games and I think that overall the Nintendo DS is more fun.

Edited by plain jane

Thanks for your opinions. They've been really helpful.

Plus there's no stylus to lose. :tongue_smilie:

With my DD2, that is a major selling point!

If you are having a tough time deciding, why not get one dd a DSi and the other an iPod Touch?

DD2's birthday is coming up, so I think I may get her an iPod Touch & then DD1 can see what its like & decide if she still wants a DSi for Christmas. Hmm, if I order it now, I can have a couple of weeks checking it works, making sure it really is suitable...;)

• 3 weeks later...
Being your kids are younger I would definitely go for the Nintendo DS. My kids have played with theirs for years and years and years.

I think IPod Touch apps are more geared towards older (pre-teens, teens) than younger kids.

nooooo, there is *tons* for small children on an ipod touch. Tons of apps - and with more value than a DS/DSi.....

It's amazing what's out there for the touch and the iphone. unbelievable.

to me, it's not even a question at this point.

K

without wi-fi, she can't connect.

K

Without ipod, she can't connect! It lives in my handbag & she has to ask for it.

DD2's birthday is coming up, so I think I may get her an iPod Touch & then DD1 can see what its like & decide if she still wants a DSi for Christmas.

Well, I got the ipod Touch & DD1 is telling me every day that she would like a Touch instead of a DS. :lol: DD2 asks to do the maths flashcards:thumbup1: