Menu

Did you ever question a prescription?

I went to the dr this afternoon for my vertigo. I mentioned that while the meclizine did not stop the vertigo, it did stop the nausea and let me sleep. But one of the side effects keeps me from taking it regularly. So, he wrote a script for the side effect. I didn't even try to read the script, just handed it to the pharmacist. I don't recognize this drug. I read the insert and it has nothing to do with my meclizine side effect. I browsed the net, but I couldn't find any use that was anywhere close to my complaint.

I'm not taking it until I call the dr tomorrow. This just feels strange, to question my prescription.

The one time I questioned a script was when a dr gave my then 8 year old son triple the adult dose of amox for a sinus infection. He meant to do it, but I was NOT comfortable with my son taking it. My hometown pharmacist agreed with me.

If your gut says, "huh?" Then I would call the dr first.

If you want to tell us the name of the drug (totally personal, so maybe you don't), maybe someone here has taken it and can tell you why they took it.

oh I do! My Dr called in a prescription for my vertigo/ear pain/sinus infection a few weeks ago so I never knew what he called in. I paid for it, took one and then starting reading the pamphlet and knew I didn't want to take this stuff!!!!! Dh had me call back to get a less intense antibiotic but I was already out the $50+ for the filled medicine. Next time I will ask before they just go calling the pharmacy.

but yes, ask/question why they want that one.

Absolutely. If I'm not comfortable taking it, I don't. I talk to the doctor, the pharmacist. I've even taken my child straight from one doctor to another just to confirm my suspicions about the first doctor's incompetency. Over the years I've been very happy that I'm reluctant to just "do what I'm told." My daughter was prescribed an adult antibiotic for scarlet fever when she was really just having a contact rash (stupid doctor). My son has been prescribed an antibiotic for staph when he really had a severe reaction to a bee sting (stupid ER).

Accidents happen and sometimes doctors are just throwing medicine at you hoping that something works.

If you don't understand why, for any reason, you are taking a certain med, then you should absolutely question it. Ideally, doctors and pharmacists would never make mistakes. Unfortunately, it can and does happen. Part of being a good healthcare consumer (us!) is knowing what we are taking, what it is for, how much we are to take, and what times to take it. So, call the office tomorrow. No one will be offended by you asking for clarification :)

I always question before I leave the dr's office. I ask what it is and why he chose that medication and how much I am to take and, and, and. Feel free to ask. Don't feel bad about wanting to be educated.

My dr is really good about sayin what he's prescribing and why. With my dizzyness & fatigue I wasn't up to discussing meds. When he said the drug would take care of my complaint about meclizine, that was enough for me at the time.

For a later poster, the drug is Dipyridamole, generic for Persantine. TMI alert -- my complaint about meclizine was it caused constipation and associated discomforts.

You shouldn't feel strange about questioning the prescription your doctor has given you. Medical advisers are just that, advisers. Not God, your boss or your mother! A physician is somebody you hire to give advice about your body/health, just as you would hire a mechanic to give advice about your car. It's perfectly fine to discuss, question and then make your own decision about whether you will accept whatever kind of treatment he/she suggests. If in doubt, consult another doctor, pharmacist, medical helpline or do your own research online.

I can't imagine following a Dr. blindly and not questioning.....definitely find out what the prescription is for, how long he expects you to take it and why. We have to be our own advocates for our health - no one watches out for us the way we watch out for ourselves.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
With my dizzyness & fatigue I wasn't up to discussing meds.

Oh, can I ever relate to this! When I first went in with the vertigo symptom, I also had a general brain fog. The only way I could explain it was to say that I felt like I was drunk pretending not to be drunk. Anyway, I didn't question him about the meds, walked off with my prescriptions... He had also given me an antibiotic but neglected to tell me that most cases of Labyrinthitis can't be cured by antibiotics (he was doing a just in case treatment, I found out later). Well, all I knew was that I had an antibiotic which I believed would cure me and Meclizine which I believed was for symptoms. I took the Meclizine a few times and stopped when I felt a bit better, letting the antibiotic cure me. Lo and behold, two weeks later, the symptoms were back. I returned to him and had to tell him all this...and let him know that he really should tell people that the Meclizine is the cure and the antibiotic is the just in case you have something that antibiotic can kill... So, then I took a ten day course of Meclizine and that did the trick.

Long story short, the Meclizine may not be bringing you around right away but do stay the course with it.

I always triple question the prescription (you know, when I'm not suffering from debilitating vertigo and brain fog/fake drunkeness). I get the doctor to tell me what he's prescribing. I get the pharmacist to confirm drug/dosage when I drop it off...and again when I pick it up (and always hope that it's a different person so no one ever knows how truly OCD I am about these things.) :D

I questioned dosing once. Indeed my kiddo was dosed incorrectly and no one caught it until I went back and asked the pharmacist to check the dose. Another time we were given the wrong medication altogether (pharm. couldn't read the handwriting and guessed I guess..scary). Recently I filled a prescription for my son and freaked out when I read the side effects and did further research. I requested a different medication. We were out the money for the first of course.

For a later poster, the drug is Dipyridamole, generic for Persantine. TMI alert -- my complaint about meclizine was it caused constipation and associated discomforts.

That is definitely strange. I don't experience with that drug, but a quick search gave constipation as a SIDE EFFECT of Persantine. :confused: That makes no sense at all! Definitely give the doc a call tomorrow.

We once had an amazing pediatrician with horrible handwriting. The pharmacist had to call and check with a nurse for nearly every rx.

Our doctor's office now prints every prescription from the computer, and in most cases, they fax it directly to the pharmacy. I have to think this results in fewer errors!