Menu

Can I post a newbie intro here?

Couldn't find a better spot - so here goes... Just a little intro on me -

We're new homeschoolers, working on 2d grade & preK. I found WTM years ago but was afraid of being "different" and loved our parish school so didn't really see the point in hsing. We've moved, changed schools and just couldn't deny hsing anymore. So here we are =) If I would have known how much easier it is than the whole rat race of homework, morning routines etc. we would have done it from the beginning.

Welcome to homeschooling!

FYI - :D

Can or May?

Can as an auxiliary verb means "to be able to."

May as an auxiliary verb means "to be permitted to."

Incorrect: Can we talk?

(Well, if you can say it, you are able to talk!)

Correct: May we talk?

Correct: We may talk if you can listen to my side.

copied from: http://englishplus.com/grammar/00000200.htm

:auto:

Well thanks for some of the welcomes... correcting my grammar what an interesting approach to making me feel right at home. I guess that would be a nice item to place at the top of that socialization concern list everyone has for homeschoolers eh? :)

cadam - I completely understand about expecting too much from my oldest. I've learned that lesson already, but it was a hard one. And I still have twinges of mommy guilt do to it!

a tip to the newbie,

Grammar rules will be enforced and mistakes pounced upon. The edit function is your friend.

Don't assume everyone here has the same world view... Generally, try not to make generalizations, you will be punished.

Mike's hard lemonade is the homeschool mom's drink of choice around here, and booKs and booKshelves mean something else, as does TEA!

bouts of flaming do break out, but all in all we are a nice bunch and manage to get along and support each other, uh generally.

that is all

:D

Well thanks for some of the welcomes... correcting my grammar what an interesting approach to making me feel right at home. I guess that would be a nice item to place at the top of that socialization concern list everyone has for homeschoolers eh? :)

Ds says that his high school teachers are always correcting the students about can and may as in "Can I go to the bathroom?" " I don't know if you CAN but you may be excused," joked the teacher.

After years of using Rod & Staff English, we now know the difference! :tongue_smilie:

After reading this, I thought I might be so bold as to give you an FYI.

:blush: