Menu

Vitamin K at birth?

We don't circ and neither of my sons got it. Without significant birth trauma or circing early, I don't feel there is a need.

I do drink liquid chloryphyll each day (I'm nursing and I also took it when I was pregnant per midwife suggestion) which is supposed to help bulk up the Vit K passed through the milk to the baby as a backup :)

We did with my first before I knew we could question anything!

We didn't with the second as we weren't circ'ing.

With our third, he got a hematoma on his head shortly after birth. The midwife strongly suggested we give him a vit K shot. The poor kid ended up with a HUGE lump on his head. (Seriously - HUGE!! He looked deformed.) But, it would've been even bigger had we not given the shot.

We didn't with our fourth, but watched her head closely after she was born!! LOL

We didn't do this for all of our nine children but we nearly lost the last one because of it. She didn't get the shot and she got late onset vitamin K deficiency disease. This disorder is one of the main reasons why the shot is given (we didn't know this). It is very rare but often fatal. It happens around 5 or six weeks of age and the baby's blood just stops clotting so they hemorrhage. They can have a brain hemorrhage without warning and die or be severely brain damaged. Fortunately with my daughter we caught it in time because she was spitting up blood. By the time we got her to the hospital she was bleeding in her brain but it was small and caused no lasting damage. She had to have blood plasma and intraveinous vit. K and she spent the night it the hospital. There was no lasting damage but boy was it scary and I'll never skip the vit K shot again and I don't recommend anyone else skip it either.

Susan in TX

Thorne Research makes a liquid that I will take that to the hospital and administer myself in place of the K shot should we have another. I remember reading after my last child was born that Vit K shot, because it contains formaldahyde, can cause high bilirubin among other problems naturally inherent in injecting formaldahyde into the body.

We would not administer vitamin K unless there was significant birth trauma or other factors (i.e., a hematoma, as mentioned above). Alfalfa tablets are another way of increasing your vitamin K stores and the amount in your colostrum and milk.

Anecdotally, both of my homeborn, non-vitamin K receiving babies (my two youngest), had to be stuck multiple times for the PKU because their blood clotted so well. As I said, I would have hated to see how long it took if they had extra K. :tongue_smilie:

I am getting ready to deliver baby # 6 and have never heard of vit. K shots. Am I missing something? All of my pregnancies/deliveries have gone very smoothly w/ no problems. Does that make a difference?

It's a regular thing when giving birth at the hospital. At the birthing center we did Vit K but a different form although I can't remember which one as I was not in very good shape after hemorrhaging.

Edited by HiddenJewel

We would not administer vitamin K unless there was significant birth trauma or other factors (i.e., a hematoma, as mentioned above). Alfalfa tablets are another way of increasing your vitamin K stores and the amount in your colostrum and milk.

Anecdotally, both of my homeborn, non-vitamin K receiving babies (my two youngest), had to be stuck multiple times for the PKU because their blood clotted so well. As I said, I would have hated to see how long it took if they had extra K. :tongue_smilie:

I've never understood the rationale of giving a blood clotting vitamin BEFORE doing a test that requires blood dripping from the heel. Why not wait a few days and give vit K if medically indicated?

No. I have a genetic blood clotting disorder and didn't think it wise. The doctors didn't disagree, or even put up a fight. The nurses on the other hand... :rolleyes: