Menu

Registering as a Real School?

ValkyrieMom

Question 1:

I've heard that in some states it's necessary to register (if that's the word) your home-school. I've been all over the internet and the state HS website for my state (Utah) and I cannot get any info. We are military and since we move a lot I want to go ahead and register so as to avoid future problems. Can anybody give me info on this?

Question 2:

My kids overheard me talking to DH about this and my DD8 asked if we are going to get T-shirts or Uniform shirts to wear with nice jeans/cords. I thought this sounded fun. I've seen a previous posting for this, but I thought I'd throw it out there. I saw the Land's End catalog for this (expensive but gave me ideas). Always like the statistics on uniform wearing and thought what the heck. What do you think?

Wow, never thought of uniforms, that would save me a ton of money!;) I register in Michigan as non-public school so my kids get auxillary services from the school district and I get the perks of all the teacher benefits and the ability to purchase teacher materials from all the restricted publishers. I would check out www.hslda.org for your state.

Well, when you say you're military and want to register so as to avoid future issues, are you currently stationed in Utah? If not then it's not Utah law you need to worry about. You must follow the law of the state you are stationed and actually living in, and yes you may need to let that state know that you're moving out of it and then may need tyo register in the new state once you're there each time you move depending on each states laws. They vary quite a bit from state to state. My dh is Navy so I've dealt with registering and de-registering in 2 different states so far, he's got 6 years left before retirement so who knows how many more it could be before that. :)

To find out what the different state laws are HSLDA is a good site to check out for those.

We don't really have uniforms here, we've thought of it but we more comfortable in lounge clothes so I guess that would be our uniform LOL

Edited by nukeswife

It is my understanding that you have to follow the laws of the state where you are currently residing. The amount of time it takes to establish residency varies from state to state, so be sure to do your homework. "Registering with a school" can be as easy as filling out an Intent to Homeschool form or as complicated as dealing with the local p.s. school superintendent, depending on where you are.

Regarding uniforms, it is our school rule that no one (including the teacher) is allowed to do school in their pajamas. Other than that, we don't have a dress code. ;)

:iagree: In Louisiana we send in a one sentence letter each year and we are technically a "Nonpublic (private) school not seeking state approval". Each state is going to be handled differently.

As far as the uniform we don't allow pjs, but beyond that my only rule is that you must have eaten breakfast and hair and teeth must be brushed. :D