Menu

Hominid more than one million years older than Lucy found

Read about it here (Science Daily) and here (National Geographic).

Excerpt from Science Daily:

In a special issue of
Science
, an international team of scientists has for the first time thoroughly described
Ardipithecus ramidus
, a hominid species that lived 4.4 million years ago in what is now Ethiopia.

This research, in the form of 11 detailed papers and more general summaries, will appear in the journal's 2 October 2009 issue.
Science
is published by AAAS, the nonprofit science society.

This package of research offers the first comprehensive, peer-reviewed description of the
Ardipithecus
fossils, which include a partial skeleton of a female, nicknamed "Ardi."

The last common ancestor shared by humans and chimpanzees is thought to have lived six or more million years ago. Though
Ardipithecus
is not itself this last common ancestor, it likely shared many of this ancestor's characteristics. For comparison,
Ardipithecus
is more than a million years older than the "Lucy" female partial skeleton of
Australopithecus afarensis
. Until the discovery of the new
Ardipithecus
remains, the fossil record contained scant evidence of other hominids older than
Australopithecus

Thanks for posting this. I am glad to be informed of new discoveries.

The last common ancestor shared by humans and chimpanzees is thought to have lived six or more million years ago. Though Ardipithecus is not itself this last common ancestor, it likely shared many of this ancestor's characteristics. For comparison, Ardipithecus is more than a million years older than the "Lucy"

I have no idea what this means. :confused: Does it mean that there should be an older one that they are still looking for?

Though Ardipithecus is not itself this last common ancestor...
I have no idea what this means. :confused: Does it mean that there should be an older one that they are still looking for?Yes. Ardi is only 4.4 million years old. Based on statistical analysis of the genetic differences between chimps and humans, the most ancient shared ancestor of humans and chimps is estimated to have lived 6-7 million years ago.

So while Ardi may very well be our ancestor, she was not an ancestor of chimpanzees.

Since we're talking missing links, check out this new dinosaur/bird transitional fossil:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2009/sep/24/dinosaur-fossil-discovery-china

The picture is amazing to me because I couldn't really visualize 4 wings.

The finds date back to between 151m and 164m years ago, which suggest they are older than archaeopteryx, previously thought to be the oldest undisputed bird.

Cool! I still don't see 4 wings though :confused:

Yes. Ardi is only 4.4 million years old. Based on statistical analysis of the genetic differences between chimps and humans, the most ancient shared ancestor of humans and chimps is estimated to have lived 6-7 million years ago.

So while Ardi may very well be our ancestor, she was not an ancestor of chimpanzees.

I see. Thanks!