Menu

I'm going to a book signing. What to expect?

I've never been to a book signing, seen a book signing, or know anyone who has been to a book signing. I don't know what to expect. And I don't like walking into social situations not knowing what to expect.

:leaving:

It makes me nervous.

Soooooo, what might go on at the book signing? How do I go about getting my book signed? Do I offer a suggestion of how to sign the book ("Make it out to Cindy...")? Do I keep my yapper shut and let the author scribble their name in my book any ol' way they wish? Can I ask them to sign more than one book?

Please help. I'm so :001_huh:

The purpose of a book signing is to help the author and store sell books, so usually they will sign more than one copy.

You must buy your book at the store.

The bookstore will introduce the author. Sometimes the author will make a few comments, sometimes not.

Then everyone lines up with their books.

The bigger the name, the more organized the procedures. For example, when I've had Nora Roberts sign a book, the store handed out a sticky note for me to write in nice big letters the name I wanted the book signed to. Then instructed us to put the note on the title page.

When my friend Bonnie's book came out the atmosphere was celebratory and casual. You could ask questions (brief ones) while she signed.

Actually that's also true of Nora Roberts, but the answers were, by necessity, more more brief. Generally, asking to have a photo taken with the author is very acceptable.

I've been to signings without any fanfare. The poor writer is sitting at a table with a stack of books in front of her. They love to chat in those situations.

I love book signings. I hope to have one for a book I write someday.

Most authors that do book signings realize that without us, the readers, they'd be nothing, so they tend to have a very happy mood going, especially when the lines are long! LOL

Call the book store ahead of time to ask these questions (each store differs on their policy, and sometimes the publisher will have rules as well....the authors I've spoken with typically will sign whatever book you ask, it's the seller and publisher who are picky...cause for them it's about money, for the author it's about you loving their writing!)

Will the author sign books other than the one being promoted (this is typically a publisher saying no to older books).

Can I bring in my own book, or will the author only sign books purchased that day or from that store with receipt? Often folks who buy the book that night will get to be in line first with the non-purchasers later. Call it a perk to entice you to buy it from the seller hosting. Unless the author is extremely famous, though, chances are the lines won't be all that long anyway, and I often want the book to read long before they are coming to my town for the signing, since I'm pretty far from NYC where books often start their tour, lol. Besides, I love talking to other fans in line, and it makes the line go faster.

Is there a limit to how many books they'll sign for each person? Sometimes the publisher or book store will place a limit (again, usually for the authors where a signed copy will get more $$ on ebay, so some jerks come in with 20 copies). We've had 3 or 4 copies (usually current and past books) and never had a problem.....so don't worry as the number is usually high enough for the fan to get through, but low enough to stop the reseller.

Ask if the author is going to give a reading or presentation or discussion before signing. This is my personal favorite thing...I love to hear them talk about how they came up with the idea, what they envisioned that didn't quite turn out in the end, what's next on their agenda. They'll often talk about their private life as well, which is also fun to hear.

Ok, that's probably all you need to ask the store that will depend on the store/publisher policy.

When you arrive, if there is a talk ahead of time, grab a seat ASAP....they tend to go quickly and standing for an hour talk isn't fun. If you are bringing kids who might have questions for author during the discussion, try to sit up front so they are more easily called on. If you just want to listen and absorb, head for the back so those that want to interact can sit in front....next time it might be you wanting up front.

Realize that there are always jerks who think they deserve to push through the crowd to jockey for closer in line. And take a deep breath and just let them. It's awful to get yourself all worked up and frustrated and then not be in a good positive mood when you meet the author! I always make sure not to schedule other things for that day that might interfere with a long wait in line. And as I said before, you're surrounded by other fans of this author's books......you won't be bored standing in line, you'll have a dozen instant friends to talk about a favorite subject!

When you get up to the author, feel free to strike up some small talk.....they aren't going to tire of hearing how you love their work even if the 100 people in front of you said the same thing to them! If you or the kids have something special to tell them, go for it. My daughter met Ridley Pearson (author of Kingdom Keepers) for the first time and blurted out that she'd already read his book 10 times or whatever....and he was absolutely touched that she loved it that much....got up and hugged her and declared her probably his biggest fan! Apparently no one had told him they'd read the same book multiple times! I did have to remind her after a few minutes that there were others waiting, but honestly, I never felt the author was trying to end the conversation nor did he reach out for her book until I said that....he'd probably have kept going too! I think it's fine to spend a few minutes with them, after all you waited in line like everyone else, but do be mindful of more than a few minutes! For kids, if they have several questions they just HAVE to ask, have them write them down in case "star struck" happens...so they don't leave and be upset that they forgot something!

Yes, it's perfectly alright to ask the author to sign it "to Cindy" and spell it if there is any other possible spelling....remember, author may have a friend named Cyndy. My name is pretty easy, but I still spell it out. Try not to ask for anything more than name.....I've found that they often will sign something more than just their name, so let them. Ridley now recognizes my daughter (we go every time he's in town, and we've also made arrangements to see him when we travel if he's nearby) and will write something personal to her. But even that first book he wrote "to M, you're the best". And she cherishes it. Some of the stores do provide sticky notes for printing the name requested...if they provide it, use it because the author will be looking for it and without it may not remember to personalize it or mess up the spelling. Book signings tend to be noisy!

Someone else mentioned that if you think you'll ever want to resell it the value will be higher if it's not personalized...and that's probably true. But if you're like my daughter and will probably want to be buried with these books, lol.....personalized is so cool for her to open and see him call her by name.

Most of all, remember that the authors depend on readers....yes book signings are an attempt to sell books, marketing, promotion, etc....but they're also looking to connect with the readers, and they're used to star-struck happening to the best of us. So don't be embarassed if it happens. Go, and enjoy rubbing elbows with someone living a life we can only dream of! My daughter plans to be an author and she is always making comments about the good and bad that we see at signings, a true writing, always observing and taking notes!

Enjoy.

Edited by ConnieB

Well, as far as collector's value, it is worth more if not personalized. So if you think that you might ever want to sell said book then just get the autograph.

I did not know this. I'm not looking for resale value, though, so this time I won't be too concerned with that.

You must buy your book at the store.

Aaaaack! I did not know this. *sniffle*

Happy, thanks for the rest of your post. Spelling it out for me like that helped.

Call the book store ahead of time to ask these questions (each store differs on their policy, and sometimes the publisher will have rules as well....the authors I've spoken with typically will sign whatever book you ask, it's the seller and publisher who are picky...cause for them it's about money, for the author it's about you loving their writing!)

Can I bring in my own book, or will the author only sign books purchased that day or from that store with receipt? Often folks who buy the book that night will get to be in line first with the non-purchasers later.

ConnieB, thank you, thank you for your excellent descriptive post. It is so very helpful.

I never thought to call the bookstore. duh. Thanks for the list of questions to ask.

Ask if the author is going to give a reading or presentation or discussion before signing. This is my personal favorite thing...I love to hear them talk about how they came up with the idea, what they envisioned that didn't quite turn out in the end, what's next on their agenda. They'll often talk about their private life as well, which is also fun to hear.

When you arrive, if there is a talk ahead of time, grab a seat ASAP....they tend to go quickly and standing for an hour talk isn't fun. If you are bringing kids who might have questions for author during the discussion, try to sit up front so they are more easily called on. If you just want to listen and absorb, head for the back so those that want to interact can sit in front....next time it might be you wanting up front.

Well, according to the post I just read on their blog, there was a slideshow presentation at the last bookstore they were at. I'm vacillating between getting a good seat up front because I'm hard of hearing, and getting a seat well in the back, because I have a tendency to guffaw loudly. And I'm going to see CakeWrecks blogger Jen - so I know I'm gonna bust a gut.

CakeWrecks is also providing cake for everyone. Yummy. There's also a CakeWrecklica contest. I think I'm gonna be there a while.

We've been to Jan Brett and Glenn Beck.

We took photos both times. Jan Brett personalized the boys' books and gave me extra labels with her signature.

Glenn Beck wrote something (it was for my eldest son), but I don't remember what it was.

Be prepared to stand for a long time -- at least if the signing is at a place like Barnes & Noble.

Oh, and at B&N, you don't have to buy your book at the store. You show your copy when you come in, and you are given a bag for it.

I did not know this. I'm not looking for resale value, though, so this time I won't be too concerned with that.

Aaaaack! I did not know this. *sniffle*

Happy, thanks for the rest of your post. Spelling it out for me like that helped.

ConnieB, thank you, thank you for your excellent descriptive post. It is so very helpful.

I never thought to call the bookstore. duh. Thanks for the list of questions to ask.

Well, according to the post I just read on their blog, there was a slideshow presentation at the last bookstore they were at. I'm vacillating between getting a good seat up front because I'm hard of hearing, and getting a seat well in the back, because I have a tendency to guffaw loudly. And I'm going to see CakeWrecks blogger Jen - so I know I'm gonna bust a gut.

CakeWrecks is also providing cake for everyone. Yummy. There's also a CakeWrecklica contest. I think I'm gonna be there a while.

Lucky you! She's not coming to my state....closest is about a 12 hour drive....of course that could add to the effect of my cake offering! LOL

I've never been to a book signing, seen a book signing, or know anyone who has been to a book signing. I don't know what to expect. And I don't like walking into social situations not knowing what to expect.

:leaving:

It makes me nervous.

Soooooo, what might go on at the book signing? How do I go about getting my book signed? Do I offer a suggestion of how to sign the book ("Make it out to Cindy...")? Do I keep my yapper shut and let the author scribble their name in my book any ol' way they wish? Can I ask them to sign more than one book?

Please help. I'm so :001_huh:

Is it Rees?