Menu

SOTW 4 does not have suggested reading & coloring pages so, ..

dorothy

I am using SOTW 4 with ds 4th and dd 1st this year, and it has been a challenge! I have supplemented with some Dover coloring books and reading from Sonlight. I purchased Biblioplan this year, and it helped a lot with reading suggestions. I tried the Internet for project ideas and coloring pages with very little luck. There just aren't many coloring pages of Garabaldi, Hitler, or Stalin!:tongue_smilie:

The best news is that there is a "younger siblings" package in the works from PHP, possibly available at the end of the summer, which should be very helpful (but alas, a year too late for us). We made it through (almost), but it will be a relief to return to the Ancients next year!

It doesn't? Is there an activity guide at all?

Yes, there is an activity guide but it seems to have almost completely neglected the suggested readings, and it doesn't have a colouring page for every chapter. The chapter questions are there with some project ideas. As for the student pages, it is primarily the maps. Most chapters have an outline page to copy/fill in. There are several pages of templates for the projects and quite a few pages of games that are designed to help memorize events, dates, etc. Compared with the other activity guides, it is quite dry and uninspiring. However, I suspect that it was made that way to transition the child into doing more "paper" work and less hands-on -- a transition to the logic stages years, so to speak.

But, that's just my perception.

It doesn't? Is there an activity guide at all?

There is an activity guide, but it is geared toward logic-stage preparation. (I didn't realize that this volume is geared toward 4th-8th grade until after I decided to "fold in" my first grader and bought the books.) It contains maps, review questions, projects, timeline figures, and beginning outlining exercises in place of narration.

I would say, then, Dover coloring and History Scribe might be a great thing to do. We are only starting the 2nd volume right now, and I would say for us, by the time my boys are in the fourth one, we won't be doing much coloring. I love the mapping. More writing would be great by the time we get there as well.

I'm sure others who have used the book with younger children with have lots of ideas.