Menu

What are your fav. WWII movies. DD's are 15 & 8 yrs..TIA

twoblessings

Dh is a big WWII buff but none of his choices would be appropriate for children. I am hopeful that when Truth and Treason is finished, it will be a great selection. It's about Helmuth Heubner and his two friends, all teenage Germans who fought the Nazis from the inside, listening illegally to the BBC and printing/distributing newsletters of what was REALLY happening in the war. Eventually they were caught, arrested, tried, and sentenced (executed/concentration camps), but they never regretted it. The last living member of that trio came and spoke to our Honors Civ class in college :D. Amazing stuff.

This was aired back in April and is great movie http://www.hallmark.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/article|10001|10051|/HallmarkSite/HallmarkHallOfFame/HHOF_TOP

we plan to watch it an a few weeks...should be fine for the 15yo--depends how sensitive your younger is. I also found The Pianist to be a VERY powerful movie, but maybe too strong for the 15yo...definitely for the younger child.

Watched the Boy in the Striped Pajamas this week.

My sons are going to watch it with us tonight. (ages 12,10 and 6)

It's unbelievably precious.

I weeped for an hour after watching it, thinking about how we keep repeating the same ugliness over and over and over.

I don't want our grandkids to read about history and see us in the same light.

And it IS possible! They actually believed that they were making the world a safer place by what they were doing then!!!! :confused:

I don't think kids are too young to understand that.

The plot of the movie speaks to the innocence of kids, until adults 'teach' them to be otherwise......

The two boys in the movie are 8 years old.

Another favorite is Life is Beautiful.

If you haven't seen this, it is so silly and sweet, and I just love the characters in it.

We watched Valkyrie recently.

There was not anything objectionable in it, until they are executed at the end.

Hope this helps.