Menu

Grammar Stage: Black Ships Before Troy

Melissa in St Louis

If you have the beautifully illustrated version (verses the cheap paperback dimestore version) just leave it on the shelf for a while, he will likely be drawn to the illustrations after a while.....when the time is right

If not - don't worry. He will have plenty of wonderful reading ahead of him. I don't believe for one second that one book makes or breaks an education.

Just MHO

Sara

I love the illustrated version, too, but there are other quality children's versions of Homer's works.

We've enjoyed this: http://www.amazon.com/Childrens-Homer-Adventures-Odysseus-Tale/dp/0689868839/ref=pd_sim_b_5

And B & T used to listen to this all the time: http://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-Telling-Bodkin-Musical-Collection/dp/1882412184/ref=ed_oe_a (I see it's not in print anymore, and the used versions are pricey. You could check to see if your library has it.)

I don't think we've read this one, but we have read something else (that we liked:)) by the same author: http://www.amazon.com/Tale-Troy-Ancient-Authors-Classics/dp/0140367454/ref=pd_sim_b_2

HTH

Amazon probably has it. We didn't like them at all so I'll be selling mine once I get around to it. I can look up the ISBN if you'd like. We have both the Black Ships and the second one (or is it the first one) and I ordered it thinking it was the illustrated ones but it was the small paperback version

Sara

I didn't have my son read this version until the logic stage.

I would use Mary Pope Osbourne's series, Tales from the Odyssey, for that age. My 8 yo dd enjoyed those last year.

Or if you prefer a read aloud, the one recommended in TWTM for grammar, ancients was good - Geraldine McCaughrean, I think - It's not illustrated, but it was a success for my then 4 yo and 6 yo.

Whatever you do - You shouldn't skip these stories in the grammar age. (Well, unless they are very upsetting to your child . . .)

Edited by Brenda in FL

I had to start many books about the Iliad and stop them due to gore and morbidity. I have settled on The Trojan Horse by Emily Little and adapted parts of Tales of Troy: Ulysses the Sacker of Cities (they are in the book at the link). Now I am struggling with The Odyssey. I am thinking a one or two of the Mary Pope Osborn books and more selections from Tales of Troy.

My little girl is very bright and loves Ancient History, but she also has a vivid imagination and lots of nightmares (and is just now starting to sleep in her own bed)!

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I understand. I don't like the illustrations in Usborne's version of the Iliad or Odyssey. at. all. It can make or break a story for you when very strong illustration work is just not in a style you enjoy. My older son got to the point by eighth/ninth grades that he wouldn't read certain type styles, either, LOL! I find that I'm getting finicky about type styles, too....