Menu

Is Life of Fred a "stand-alone" Math program or a supplement?

momoflotsoftots

I don't think that the first two books are stand-alone. Fractions and Decimals/Percents are super fantastic suplements. Now then, those two are the only books I've seen. But I've read here that the upper level books are considered by lots to be enough to stand-alone. You may want to search through the high school forum to get more opinions.

Some children will be able to use these as a stand alone program, but my children couldn't. There are not enough practice problems to cement a concept into their heads and my oldest found the bridges rather frustrating as a result. Based on your brief description of your 5th grade ds, my inclination is that he would not be able to use them as a stand alone either.

HTH! :)

My kids have always hated math, so I was looking for something that was more fun for them to do, trying to show them that math can indeed be enjoyable. We're going to do Fractions and Decimals, then finish out the year with things I feel like they missed.

Someone posted a link that shows that Life of Fred Calculus is recommended as prep for the Calculus CLEP exam.

BTW, my kids are loving LOF and actually look forward to doing math every day now.

TheKid is using LoF Fractions as her sole math text only because she is already very strong in fractions, yet I wanted to try this series so started at the beginning to see if this method would work for her. She'll go on to LoF Decimals & Percents. By then, I hope I can tell if the Algebra books will work as stand-alones. Sure hope so, because TheKid absolutely loves the story and how the math is presented.

TheKid is formerly ps'd, and she had lots of gaps in her math knowledge. So I basically backed up to the beginning. But I would not feel comfortable using LoF Fractions as a stand-alone without her personal previous experience. Fraction manipulatives were very helpful for all my kids (plastic pie pieces, for lack of a better name).

I'm not to it yet but have researched it in order to use it later. I've learned from those that have used to books beyond Fractions and Dec/Perc. that it's very much a stand alone program. It covers all the topics in traditional programs PLUS more. If you need more practice problems, you'll find them in the Home Companion. Also, if a kid "gets" the concept, I don't think they need many problems to do the same thing over and over.

I've heard many rave reviews about this program from parents and students of all abilities and levels of math-mindedness-- some being math degreed or planning a degree in a math related field.

For Fractions and Dec./Per. we'll use them as a supp. over the summer before 6th or 7th OR alongside Singapore 5 or 6 during the school year (or whatever math program we're using at that level). Then we'll go on to LoF's new book to be released still-- Pre-Alg and continue the series until Statistics hopefully-- as a stand alone.

Some children will be able to use these as a stand alone program, but my children couldn't. There are not enough practice problems to cement a concept into their heads and my oldest found the bridges rather frustrating as a result. Based on your brief description of your 5th grade ds, my inclination is that he would not be able to use them as a stand alone either.

HTH! :)

I agree that your ds would probably need it as a supplement. Although Lof has a refreshing, humorous approach, it is not really hands-on.

Thanks so much for all your input!

I am so new to these forums and I guess hands-on may not have been enough of an explanation or the most accurate description. Sorry! I think Math is so abstract to him and he is easily frustrated. He is not very quick with memorizing facts, so he has a terrible time with multiplication, and therefore division as well. All along, he had been using A Beka, but we have had to slow him down to work on his facts. He's going through MUS right now to hopefully catch him up and possibly gain some speed.

I just found LOF for sale used on here, so I will look it over and probably use it as a supplement once he feels more confident with Multiplication/ Division.

We're finding it to be an effective, creative stand-alone. Each chapter builds very effectively on the next, so by the bridge, your child should have a good understanding of the concepts. Don't just check the answers for each lesson yourself, though! It's important for your child to read through the answers himself.