Menu

Teaching Math-minded boy to Read

kilo90

After searching the posts, I am encouraged to see that there is a wide age range of when reading "clicks" with children. I began OPG with my son a little over a year ago when he was 5 1/2. With my daughter (now 4th grade) things "clicked" at about lesson 90 -something, so I've been waiting for the same thing with my son. We've reviewed, reviewed more, began the book again this past Spring, and he is still just not doing well. We've been at this for over a year and he can read the first set of Bob Books and Modern Curriculum Press Series A and that's about it. I've looked at my friend's 100 EZ Lessons and I don't believe my son would dig it. He is constantly asking to just use the white board and not the book. My question...Since he excels in Math is there an approach I can use that might help us make progress? Is there a way I can tap into his strength of math to help in this area?? Thank you any suggestions...

Gloria

Why does he prefer the white board over the book? I'm asking b/c my 6yo has been struggling and I just had his vision evaluated and he's in the 8th percentile for visual discrimination even though he has 20/20 vision. IOW, he can't see (perceive) the writing on a page, but does pretty well on the board or on 3x5 cards. (the words are isolated, easier to see the individual letters)

Keep things on the board as much as possible...I think a kid saying "I like it better on the board" could be translated as "I learn better when it's on the board."

If you notice a large gap in what he can do on the board and what he can read on a page, get his vision tested by someone who specializes in vision therapy.

After searching the posts, I am encouraged to see that there is a wide age range of when reading "clicks" with children. I began OPG with my son a little over a year ago when he was 5 1/2. With my daughter (now 4th grade) things "clicked" at about lesson 90 -something, so I've been waiting for the same thing with my son. We've reviewed, reviewed more, began the book again this past Spring, and he is still just not doing well. We've been at this for over a year and he can read the first set of Bob Books and Modern Curriculum Press Series A and that's about it. I've looked at my friend's 100 EZ Lessons and I don't believe my son would dig it. He is constantly asking to just use the white board and not the book. My question...Since he excels in Math is there an approach I can use that might help us make progress? Is there a way I can tap into his strength of math to help in this area?? Thank you any suggestions...

Gloria

Gloria,

(((Hugs)))

Hand in there, some kids just take longer. My 2nd dd could spell any word for over a year before she could blend. My ds who is now 6 and 1st grade has been working on phonics for 1.5 years using multi-sensory methods and he is JUST starting to hear the first sound in a word right all the time.

I would recommend an Orton Gillian program. These are created specifically for dyslexic students, but their strengths should work well with a math minded child. Those strengths are that they work with one concept at a time and that they use multi-sensory methods. All About Spelling is actually one, though it doesn't have the reader part, which would be preferable. Preventing Academic Failure is another that a friend of mine is having a lot of success with. I just bought Wilson Reading for my ds. Barton Reading is another, but I don't think it would be a good fit in your case. It is very scripted, and I have been told the other programs have more ability to move at the child's pace. I also hear that Recipe for Reading and Horizons Reading are good. I know there are other good programs, I am just not aware of them all.

Heather

Another great OG program is the one we use, Sensational Strategies for Teaching Beginning Readers, and it is also multi-sensory. It starts from square 1, assuming the child knows nothing and takes them through blending and more. It also comes with the sand, screen, and cardstock paper for you to photocopy your own worksheets so you can make your own handwriting program. There is even a DVD showing entire lessons and how they should go, what order etc. to go along with the teacher manual. Sensational Strategies was written to be a complete beginning reading program from Recipe for Reading. My ds has done much better with reading because of this program than I ever would have expected and he is also the "mathy" type. HTH!

My very mathy son refused to read at 6 yo, entering first grade (ps). He is now reading at the 3rd-4th grade level..go figure. We pushed for a while and he just fought us, so frankly we stopped pushing and just read more interesting books to him. G- is very linear and logical, once his senses became stimulated he started "sneaking" books, because he didn't want us to know he could read (the really wild dr. seuss books were a hit). The other thing that helped him in ps, was the fact that they had levels.. this book was c, this book was d, etc.. it went up to z. He wanted to go to the next level, so he wanted to read, instead of us making him read. I think seeing the progression helped him in his mathy mind - because he likes to build on things. He can see his math skills increase every day, by his reading books having levels on them, he could see his reading skills increase every day as well.

But the biggest thing really was us backing off and realizing he would get it, if we just stopped pushing him.. and well, he did..1 month into 2nd grade and he's finished the Illiad (KingFisher), the Odessey (KingFisher), 3 Cat Warrior books, 5 39 Clues and a biography of Alexander the Great.

Again, go figure...now if I can get him to write :001_huh:

This could be completely normal. However.

While you're waiting for things to click, you might want to read Overcoming Dyslexia. It has lists of symptoms and you can see if any fit your son. Also, you might want to get a developmental vision exam. This would be with a developmental optometrist where they check for eye teaming issues and tracking and things like that.

Big thanks for all the suggestions and words of encouragement! I'm looking forward to researching the programs/books that have been recommended. We will also consider checking into the vision issue if progress continues to be slow. (We live overseas so the option isn't there until we move back to the states next summer.) I don't feel like it's a lack of desire on his part. He doesn't dislike our reading sessions. It just isn't clicking with him.

I appreciate y'all taking the time to share your experiences!

Gloria

Many of my math minded remedial students like these tables, but the youngest to appreciate them so far has been a 4th grader:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/Phonics%20Lsns/phonogramsoundch.html

These spelling rules and syllable division rules may help, they are logical in nature, they are linked in this paragraph of my how to tutor page:

Your number one task is to get them to stop guessing and start sounding out each and every word from left to right. Nonsense words are key, they help prevent guessing. Here is a free website that generates nonsense words. Syllables are also helpful, I would use the Blend Phonics Reader (it helps show how guessing is a bad strategy by showing words with similar configuration together) followed by Webster’s Speller. Here is a step by step guide to using Blend Phonics that also adds in syllables, spelling and phonics rules, syllable division rules, and syllable division exercises. There are also readings from Hebrews 12 that can be added to show progress through the program.

I work on a white board with all my young students, and several of my older students, it is very helpful. I also work in all uppercase, it's more distinct, easier to write neatly, and prevents b/d confusion: B/D.

He may also enjoy my phonics game.

Haven't read replies, but I'll give it a shot.

My mathematically-inclined late reader (didn't really read until nearly 8) is SUCH a visual-spatial learner. I finally figured out that math came easily because he could SEE it (we did a lot of manipulatives, visualization and mental math). Reading was just a mix of symbols that he couldn't really "see" as words. What helped him get over the hump was All About Spelling. Between the phonogram flashcards, the counters to demonstrate decoding and encoding, and the letter tiles, it made reading click for him. He is dyslexic, btw.

If you're just getting started, Preventing Academic Failure (published by EPS) is a very thorough O-G program that ties in phonics, spelling, readers, and handwriting. If I hadn't already invested in AAS then I would consider using it myself. http://www.pafprogram.com/about_paf.html