Menu

Has anyone had to have or thinking about bunion surgery?

lynn

There are different kinds. Are you getting bones sawed, pinned and fused? Are they moving tendons? My grandmother had both kinds done. The first was excruciating and did not turn out well. She still has problems. The other foot, done with just the tendon being moved, was quick and (according to her) easy. The recovery didn't take too long either (I'm thinking it was about four weeks before she was completely comfortable).

I've had the first (tendon movement was not an option). It was unbelievably painful and I haven't gotten my other foot done for that reason. I lost movement and sensitivity to the inside and top of my foot. It is still really sensitive to temperature and touch.

There are different kinds. Are you getting bones sawed, pinned and fused? Are they moving tendons? My grandmother had both kinds done. The first was excruciating and did not turn out well. She still has problems. The other foot, done with just the tendon being moved, was quick and (according to her) easy. The recovery didn't take too long either (I'm thinking it was about four weeks before she was completely comfortable).

I've had the first (tendon movement was not an option). It was unbelievably painful and I haven't gotten my other foot done for that reason. I lost movement and sensitivity to the inside and top of my foot. It is still really sensitive to temperature and touch.

I had mine done in 1985 (I was 10) and still have issues with sensitivity and pain. I wish I never had it done.

I had mine done in 1985 (I was 10) and still have issues with sensitivity and pain. I wish I never had it done.

2002. If anything grazes the top of my foot the pain is incredible.

The tendon surgery my grandmother had, according to her, was fantastic. Her foot was shaped normally and, according to her, there was very little pain. Her other foot, the one done with sawing, pins and fusing, however, gives her as much trouble as mine does.

I use her as a better example than me, because they also "fixed" my arch while sawing, pinning and fusing my toe bones. That is the source of a great deal of ongoing pain, loss of feeling, and heightened sensitivity as well. So it's hard for me to say that all such surgeries would be as bad in the long run, except to point to my grandmother (who's experience is so much like my own).

Our nanny had it. She was crippled, could barely put her foot down and nothing could touch it.

She went in for the surgery (outpatient) and walked out that afternoon. I mean *walked* out. According to her, she felt nothing during surgery, and after the anesthesia wore off it was just a bit annoying, but not so painful that she needed meds (although her doc prescribed them).

Within a week she felt like it had never happend. She can out-hop me now.

I had an Austin bunionectomy several years ago. I'm very glad I had it done. It did take awhile to recover, but that was a pleasant time, putting my foot up and having others wait on me:o)

It takes about a year for the nerves to find each other again. Nothing bad, just a pins & needles effect sometimes while they're healing. I did get arthritis in the joint, but I might have anyway.

The thing is it relieved my pain a lot. I still have pain and can't wear just any shoe I want, but the pain is much, much less.

I would love to hear more about the tendon surgery.

I wish I knew what the technical name is. No phone right now, and my gramma is not on the web, so I can't ask her :p

They take the longer tendon that runs down the top of your foot and wrap it around your long toe bone. It pulls the bone back into place. My gramma thought it was the greatest thing ever, it apparently hurts very little. I couldn't get it done, because my tendons are too limber. IOW, once they'd finished the surgery my tendon would've stretched and my bones would go back into the same places they were to start with. Sometimes, it does that anyway, that's what my surgeon told me, but for my gramma, she's never had another problem with that foot.

• 4 years later...
Guest whisky_sugar50

I had a chevron osteotomy done 08/22/2013 and I am 12 week post op. The surgery takes an hour and a half. The first 3 days was rough, Tylenol with codeine; after a week I was feeling better and no pain, but my foot was swollen when I have to hobble to the bathroom and back to bed. Now I have extreme cabin fever and can't wait to walk and go to stores.  I see my podiatrist November 22 (last post op visit), get x-rays, brace off and ditch the franken sandal and start wearing motion control athletic shoes. 

A chevron osteotomy is where they shave off the bunion and cut the bone in a 'V' shape close to the distal end, realign and insert a metal screw to hold the bones together; since I am allergic to nickel alloy, I have a dissolvable screw put in.

Oh, if you're thinking of these bunion aids, think again, they don't work.

I tried many over the course of 6 years to no avail.

The bunion aides don't realign the bunion and the are not a cure. They only relieve the other toes from being squished.You would be in more pain than before, because you're pulling the toe one way when it is stuck and can't move much.

Tests, surgery, plus 4 post op visits all totaled well under $10,000 

If I had to do it all over again I would no doubt about it.  :D

I had considered it several years ago, and I am glad I didn't.  I changed jobs and started to work from home when I wasn't travelling.  Which meant I spent most of my time barefoot.  My big toe started to realign, and is now perfectly straight.  Another year or so after that my little toes touched the ground.  They had been curled up so tight and high that they'd hadn't touched the ground as far back as I can remember.  I hadn't known they were supposed to touch the ground until my podiatrist said that "they were on vacation".  

Now, when I am in the office I were black isotoner ballet slippers, and I change into quality flats when I leave work.

I have a friend who bunions on both feet and had one foot done.  She was in a cast for 6 to 8 weeks.  Unfortunately, the surgery didn't "hold" for long and her foot went back to being much the same as it was before surgery.  Needless to say, she didn't have the other foot done.