Menu

Any hive mechanics?

Our 2005 F-150 (less than 30,000 miles) was going down the road and just quit. It won't even turn over to try restarting. We had it towed home with AAA. There was no knocking or strange noises beforehand. It's not out of gas, all fluids have been checked and are normal. No fuses are out. The battery is fine.

It's out of warranty based on the 3 years of ownership... and right now money is really tight... any suggestions on what to do to try to fix it that can be done at home with a somewhat knowledgeable car person?

If the engine won't crank, you should start with the starter circuit. Check the battery, load test is best, (just because the lights come on doesn't mean the battery is good) then check the fusible link, the starter solenoid, and the starter motor. Also the cables should be free of corrosion. The terminals need to be removed and cleaned, just looking won't tell you for sure.

Dh said it could be a bad starter solenoid or a bad battery cable or connection. To do a quick test for battery connection, turn the headlights on----if they're bright, try to start vehicle in both park and neutral, and if headlights go out or dim it's probably a bad battery connection.

Thanks for the thoughts so far. The tow truck driver did try jumping the truck - nothing happened, not even a bump in the starter. I (dh) haven't brushed the terminals yet but I did remove the clamps and everything was "clean and shiny." As for lights... With the radio, headlights, and interior lights on when I try to start still nothing - not even a dimming of the lights. I do hear the starter relay clicking. I will be starting at the battery and following wires till I hopefully find something loose, charred, blown, etc. with the starter circuit (I will actually try starting at both ends and hopefully either eliminate it or narrow down the problem area.

Keep the thoughts coming and hopefully we will have a collective success!

STBXH had replaced the starter on his F-250 work truck about 4 times in 6 months. Same for his bosses F-250.

He's not in town so i can't ask him more - i do know it makes a strange noise. So the alternator is possible too....

I can't remember which one of those it is - but you can check one of them by tapping on it with a wrench i think.

Therein lies the whole scope of my knowledge! :tongue_smilie:

Bumping this backup just in case anyone has a suggestion. One thing that had been suggested is wondering if the truck went into 'safe' mode and closed down - perhaps due to a blockage in the oil line or something. Assuming we change the oil - just to be sure. How does one 'reset' the computer? Or is the 'safe mode' not real?

Have you called the dealership? You never know - you might have a problem that is covered still, or a recall type of service.

To reset the computer you need someone with a computer to plug in. Those aren't cheap - but auto parts stores often have them to rent/borrow (although most of the time it's - take it to the parking lot and plug it in and see what it says). There MIGHT be a way to read some codes on the dash. Some vehicles turn certain lights on in patterns if there is a problem.

One thing that should be relatively easy is to check/change the fuel filter. Contaminated fuel can do bad things to a vehicle... like make it die going down the highway at 60 (happened to me). But it would start up again for me. But it's still worth a check.

OHHHH, does ANYTHING happen when you put the key in and try turning it? Does it recognize the key? I think STBXH had to replace the ignition switch/thing too (this was his work truck).

talking to STBXH for you....

He says that his bosses truck has had this happen over 5 times. The first few times the dealership replaced the starter. 2 months later.... same problem.

They determined that it was a fuse. On his truck (250 - but stbxh thinks they should be the same wiring harness), there are 3 fuses in the cab for the starter, and 2 under the hood, in a box by where you add break fluid. It is ALWAYS the same one blowing.

So i would say, double check all the fuses - and those under the hood. His words echo'd mine - "i've lived this bad dream" - apparently just 2 weeks ago when the truck died after going thru a puddle!

He's out of town, so anything other brain picking will have to wait....

:grouphug:

PS - i asked about the safe mode, and he said it would still "do something" if that happened. ROFL.... i don't supposed you will consider yourself lucky it's DEAD and not randomly honking the horn?? HIs was doing that for a few days.... middle of the night... non-stop.... driving down teh road.... non-stop. I was glad when he figured out that problem (i think that was the ignition).

Edited by TraceyS/FL

I had to replace my network card, so I couldn't respond yesterday.

My dh is a shade-tree mechanic. He says some older trucks have sensors to shut off the engine in case of a roll-overs(thanks govt). Sometimes they will go off if you hit a big bump. They shut everything off and you need to have them reset to resume operation.

If I were you, I'd google "Ford F Truck Owners" and sign up for a forum and ask around. My dh owns a Dodge Ram and he belongs to an online forum and gets a lot of good info/advice from other Dodge owners. Perhaps your dh could find the answers there.

Have you had the fuel lines checked? Since it stopped suddenly and made no sound, your fuel delivery might have a problem.

Again, a Ford Truck owners forum would be a good place to look for answers.

K

IT'S FIXED!!!

Thanks to all - esp those suggesting websites (the dealer just told us it was out of warranty - only 14000 miles, but over 3 years since we bought it).

Hubby replaced a fuse that is known to go bad - that wasn't it. Then he checked the relay (essentially checking to see if the computer was plugged in). THAT was the part that went bad. He pulled a relay from the fog lights and it works!!! Sometime this week we can stop in Auto Zone and get a relay for $12.

I'd put the website in that we used, but it was a 'pay for info' site (cost us $15 + we gave the guy a $5 tip when it worked - cheaper than the $50/hour quoted to us at the shop, plus no towing to get there). I'm not sure pay for info sites are allowed on here. If anyone wants to know what it is just send me a pm. We're really happy this morning as there were some options that could have been VERY costly!

Now... we just have to hope it was solely a bad relay and not something blowing the relay...

Thanks all for the suggestions! It kept us plugging along and let us know we could eventually figure it out and fix it.