Menu

I feel so stupid, I need help with my dd's co-op homework...

DD is in an American History class for our co-op (6-8th grade). They talked about the Mayflower compact and then the teacher gave them 2 questions.

How did the plan of government in the Mayflower Compact differ from the English government. We got this(,I think?) it's they wanted to include God.

The second ??

is Describe the worldview held by Wm. Bradford and the Pilgrims of Plymouth.

We have no idea what to put.

Can anyone help?

Did the teacher answer questions in class or talk about this?

Do you have a book to read from which inferences could be drawn about this?

The questions are fairly sophisticated--I would think that there would be some scaffolding to get the children to the point where they could postulate reasonable answers.

What does the teacher mean by 'worldview' and does your DD understand that?

To me, it seems like getting an 11 yo to the point where they could really understand those questions as well as answer them would require a fair amount of direct instruction. Maybe this class is more for older children who do their own research?

DD is in an American History class for our co-op (6-8th grade). They talked about the Mayflower compact and then the teacher gave them 2 questions.

How did the plan of government in the Mayflower Compact differ from the English government. We got this(,I think?) it's they wanted to include God.

The second ??

Can anyone help?

Well, shouldn't this be your dd's problem? She's the one who was in class and who is supposed to do the homework. If she can't remember what the teacher lectured on, or what the video was about, well... Just sayin'...

Well, shouldn't this be your dd's problem? She's the one who was in class and who is supposed to do the homework. If she can't remember what the teacher lectured on, or what the video was about, well... Just sayin'...

It's a 6th-8th grade class and she's only on the 6th grade end. I'm just trying to make sure she does the homework and keep on top of things. Yes, it's her work, but she can repeat things back very easily (things like our pastors 45 minute sermons and other things she reads and hears) but did not know the answers to these questions, I truly don't think she knows what they mean.

It may be her problem, but it's also my responsibility to guide her and make sure she does it correctly.

Actually, the English government was big on God, the British ruler is also head of the church. The main difference with the Mayflower Compact is that it implies that the king's power is limited.

The second ??

Can anyone help?

William Bradford and the other Plymouth Pilgrims believed in Pre-Ordaining Divine Providence. Everything determined by God.

Example:

And I may not omit here aspecial work of God's providence. There was a proud and very profane young man, one of the sea-men, of a lusty, able body, which made him the more haughty; he would always be contemning the poor people in their sickness and cursing them daily with grievous execrations, and did not let to tell them, that he hoped to help to cast half of them overboard before they came to their journey's end, and to make merry with what they had; and if he were by any gently reproved, he would curse and swear most bitterly. But it pleased God before they came half seas over, to smite this young man with a grievous disease, of which he died in a desperate manner, and so was himself the first that was thrown overboard. Thus his curses light on his own head; and it was an astonishment to all his fellows, for they noted it to be the just hand of God upon him….

He wrote of Squanto:

a special instrument sent of God for their good, beyond expectation.

Of a skirmish with the Pequot:

And those that first entered found sharp resistance from the enemy who both shot at and grappled with them; others ran into their houses and brought out fire and set them on fire, which soon took in their mat; and standing close together, with the wind all was quickly on a flame, and thereby more were burnt to death than was otherwise slain; it burnt their bowstrings and made them unserviceable; those that scraped the fire were slain with the sword, some hewed to pieces, others run through with their rapiers, so as they were quickly dispatched and very few escaped. It was conceived they thus destroyed about 400 at this time. It was a fearful sight to see them thus frying in the fire and the streams of blood quenching the same, and horrible was the stink and scent thereof; but the victory seemed a sweet sacrifice, and they gave the praise thereof to God, who had wrought so wonderfully for them, thus to enclose their enemies in their hands and give them so speedy a victory over so proud and insulting an enemy.

What book or literature resources are being used in this class? What do your dd's class notes/syllabus show?

How sophisticated an answer is needed?

Those are sophisticated questions.

I'd want to know whether the coop teacher pulled these questions from the web or a book without actually preparing/lecturing the students.

If the teacher planned these questions as she/he prepared his/her lectures, your dd's class notes should reflect the lectures/class discussions.

Either your dd didn't take enough/quality notes, or the teacher didn't do his/her job.

What book or literature resources are being used in this class? What do your dd's class notes/syllabus show?

How sophisticated an answer is needed?

Those are sophisticated questions.

I'd want to know whether the coop teacher pulled these questions from the web or a book without actually preparing/lecturing the students.

If the teacher planned these questions as she/he prepared his/her lectures, your dd's class notes should reflect the lectures/class discussions.

Either your dd didn't take enough/quality notes, or the teacher didn't do his/her job.

:iagree:

I would contact the teacher and find out whether enough information was given in class to allow your dd to answer the questions. Or, whether they were told where they should look to find the answers. I would also ask exactly how in depth the answers should be, because as people have already stated, these are pretty complex questions.