Menu

Opinions on best history rotation

proudmamma

Okay, we're talking history here :)

If you had a child that had 6 years left of school, and they previously hadn't been through a complete history cycle...more of a unit study approach with a lot of "holes", what do you think would be a better approach?

Choice A:

7th SL Core 6

8th Sl Core 7

9th Ancient

10th Medieval

11th Early American

12th Modern

Or...

Choice B:

7th Ancient

8th Medieval

9th American

10th Modern

11th Ancient

12th Medieval

Do you think it would be better to use 7th and 8th to do a world history overview and then delve deeply in the highschool years? That way seems good so they can see the "big picture" first to understand the overall flow and then go year by year deeper.

Then again, are they really learning that much if they go that fast...would it be better to go ahead and delve deep right from the start without the big picture overview.

I am making this way harder than I should, but I just cannot make a decision on this!!! Any ideas?

Choice C :D

Are you planning to add in some in-depth American history to the mix in either of these? If not, I might consider doing the following:

Sonlight Alt 7 (one year world history overview, since you will be going back to this later),

Sonlight Core 100 American history in-depth

Then follow those with:

Ancient

Medieval

Early Modern (with some special emphasis on American history)

Modern (with some special emphasis on American history)

Logic stage (as I understand it, we are just starting 4th) is about making the connections between things, with the rhetoric stage for delving deeper, so I would use 7th and 8th grade for the overview.

Of the two you've outlined, though, I would pick choice A and do a lot of American history in the second rotation.

I like you Option B better. It gives you an American History to put on your high school transcript since most colleges require it. It also gives you Medieval in 12th grade which will go nicely with a British Lit class. I think an 11th grader will get more out of a an ancient history class than a 9th grader would - you would be able to go more in depth on the classical literature along with it.

I think the more focused history classes are more enjoyable than trying to speed through it all in two years. We have always enjoyed our studies more when we were able to go deeper into them.

I like option B too...my younger will get something like that (not with American though).

I like the idea of going back to Ancient and Medieval in the last 2 years.

I am terrible with programs like Sonlight- I want to tweak them too much to be worthwhile. I also change my mind frequently according to how well things are going, or whether I feel we need a change. And, Sonlight seems like a lot of books. I prefer to go more deeply into less books.

The one thing I have stuck with the last 6 years (I started late too) was the 4 year history cycle and I am so glad I have even though it wont be 3 times through for us. I love the year long theme that extends to our literature as well. I just started at the beginning and each year we move on. It has worked well.

But honestly? I don't think it matters that much.