Menu

If First Language Lessons is not a good fit, what is?

AlabamaGal

Hi! I'm mostly a lurker :blush: but I need your expertise. :001_smile: This is our first year homeschooling our gifted 8-year-old daughter. Academically, things are going pretty well, although we are still finding our groove in terms of our daily work flow.

A couple of weeks ago, we switched from Horizons Math to Math-U-See and are very happy with our math program now. (There's a reason I'm telling you this in a post asking for a grammar recommendation. ;)) We are currently using First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind Level 3, and it is does not seem to be a good fit for us. I would love your thoughts on what we might prefer.

What we like about MUS is that the lessons are broken down into clearly differentiated topics, and you practice as much as necessary for mastery, then move on at your own pace. This allows us to practice in any way that works for us without worrying that we're missing something. For example, we can skip count or drill multiplication facts in the car, or calculate the area of a square of the sidewalk and have confidence that we are practicing the right things. We can skip repetitive worksheets once dd has demonstrated mastery. We have moved quickly through the lessons in this way and are working on lesson 12 of the 30 lessons in this level.

I would love a Grammar equivalent to MUS, but if there is none available, I would like suggestions about things that might come close, or take a similar approach. When using FLL, we are not comfortable with the scripted lessons. We would prefer a simpler approach: a text or workbook that sets forth the rule and then has exercises allowing the student to practice for mastery. Also, something amenable to independent learning would be a plus. I am glad to present lessons, but we find that the scripted lessons in FLL move at a snail's pace, and the exercises in the workbook are not at all challenging.

Any suggestions you experienced home educators have would be most appreciated!

Hmmm.... my oldest son really likes MUS. He happened to have loved FLL 3. I always thought the things I liked about MUS were the same things I loved about FLL 3.

Based on what you have shared, I would suggest looking at Growing With Grammar. I don't know if you'll find anything as focused on isolated topics as MUS is, but Growing With Grammar would be a good option for you, I think. We used it for a short while in 3rd grade and really liked it. It's straight-forward, simple to teach, easy to understand and very thorough.

http://www.growingwithgrammar.com/

http://www.growingwithgrammar.com/3gwgProducts.html - Grade 3 page

Edited by Donna T.

Something I plan to look into for logic stage grammar is MCT's grammar from Royal Fireworks Press. Since I don't own it, I can't comment on it all that much. I do know it's a workbook approach, but of a different approach. Not scripted like FLL, but also not simply a dry grammar textbook/workbook. There are different levels and all of Michael Clay Thompson's stuff (MCT) was written for gifted kids, though many use them at their own pace. The website to check it out and see samples is www . rfwp . com (spaces removed). You can also do a search here for "MCT" and a lot of threads should pop up. I hope you find the right fit for your dd!

Edited by Annabel Lee
removed quote

I'd consider Rod & Staff English. Probably start with Grade 3.

It works very well for my gifted dc. It is clearly laid out and is very easy to adapt for a quick learner. You can do much/most of a lesson orally and have the child just write a bit. . . You can have the child do just odds/evens/every 4th problem, etc.

This way you can cover ground quickly without frustration of unneeded repetitions.

I advise buying the whole set (teachers, students, worksheets, tests) as all parts come in handy.

Chiming in with another recommendation for Growing With Grammar. :D B (who does well with MUS...well, he's stuck on long division at the moment, but MUS is generally a good fit for him) also does well with GWG. It's not exactly like MUS, but each lesson has a a front-and-back workbook page to go with it. The front focuses on the lesson just learned, and the back has review of previously learned topics.

HTH

Analytical Grammar has been called the MUS of grammar. Your advanced 8 year old should be fine with Junior Analytical Grammar. I have not used this program, but I have read all I can on it, and seen a lot of recommendations.

Growing with Grammar is very popular right now, it reminds me of All About Spelling. You don't see much about other programs for a while. It took a lot of searching for me to find that there are indeed other phonics based spelling programs. I got one of them and ended up wanting to try AAS anyway. lol. (I am not sure if I should have at this point, but it has only been a week.)

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I've got an advanced/gifted student. For K, we did a heavily compacted version of FLL 1/2. In 1st, we tried the old Catholic version of Voyages in English 3 but that was too easy. For various reasons, I ended up shelving grammar and just doing WWE 1 with her. This year for 2nd, I'm doing Story Grammar for Elementary: A Sentence Composing Approach by Don Kilgallon for the fall semester. I highly recommend Story Grammar because it focuses on getting kids to learn sentence structure through imitating sentences from quality literature.

For example, one recent exercise in the book asked my DD to imitate the following sentence by Mildred Taylor from Song of the Trees:

"Little Man, a very small six year old and a most finicky dresser, brushed his hair."

My DD wrote:

"Cerberus, a three-headed dog and a most terrifying monster, guarded the entrance to the Underworld."

We are a MUS family too.

For grammar we use Rod & Staff. I love that the lessons are clearly laid out, well explained, review built in, and nice neat pages. I am weird about that. That is one of the things I love about MUS too. We do all of our R&S orally, unless they are diagramming or writing lessons. I know you mentioned doing work indep., which could be done, but then you still have to spend time correcting it. I love to just spend the 10-15 minutes orally and get it done. Then I know they are understanding it from the beg., not after they have done several incorrectly.

Katie

Analytical Grammar has been called the MUS of grammar. Your advanced 8 year old should be fine with Junior Analytical Grammar. I have not used this program, but I have read all I can on it, and seen a lot of recommendations.

Growing with Grammar is very popular right now, it reminds me of All About Spelling. You don't see much about other programs for a while. It took a lot of searching for me to find that there are indeed other phonics based spelling programs. I got one of them and ended up wanting to try AAS anyway. lol. (I am not sure if I should have at this point, but it has only been a week.)

I will second JAG. I love he simple it is. When my oldest finished it (there are only 11 Units-lessons) she just diagrammed a sentence once a week to keep her skills fresh. No busy work on grammar.

Now she is doing AG and again I love how streamlined it is.

Heather