Menu

New to this and very overwhelmed!

Cammie

We are an expat family currently living in India. We have tried dd (8 years old) in an "international" school for two years and now she is in a more "Indian" school. She loves her new school and is doing very well. She was just nominated junior prefect for her house and being a Harry Potter fan she couldn't be happier!

The problem is that the education she is receiving simply is not adequate. She is very bright, writes poetry, reads years above her grade level, etc. None of this is supported, nurtured or developed by her school. They simply do the basics. There is no concept of a gifted and talented or accelerated program. As a result I started researching my options and stumbled upon "after schooling" as a concept. I think this is what I would like to try. However, after reading all the boards, I am totally confused about curriculum. I am looking for a secular program that would be relatively simple for us to start with!

Are there any websites that compare the available curriculum options in a systematic fashion? Any leads would be greatly appreciated!

- Cammie

Have you read WTM yet? You might not need (or want) a canned curriculum after you do.

I'm no help on afterschooling, though there is an afterschooling board. If you teach her, doesn't that make the problem even more dramatic? Then she'd be totally bored and unhappy in school. Guess I'd distinguish whether you want to enrich her or move her ahead and make your materials choices from there.

What a great opportunity for your family! I am envious, I must say. If you can get a copy of WTM I think that would be a great help to you, but if you tell us what subjects you're interested in we might be able to make some recommendations. I have a daughter about your girl's age who is also very verbal (you don't want a pen pal, do you?). I don't know that there is a website like what you're looking for, but the Hive Mind is pretty good! :001_smile:

If you were to homeschool, here's what is working for us, after 3 years of experimenting.

Classical Writing (see website.)

Abeka Arithmetic until 5th grade, then Saxon

Singapore Challenging Word Problems

Mystery of History II (using Quest for the Middle Ages from Winter Promise.)

Latin online from Memoria Press.

Mindbenders.

Hope that helps.

Sonlight for literature and history along with SOTW (it's part of Core 6 & 7). They have a fantastic selection of books that have been fun to read.

We're also using Mammoth Math (inexpensive and self-teaching"ish"), Rosetta Stone, Meet the Masters, Mark Kistler Imagination Station, IEW for writing (Inst. for Excellence in Writing) and other miscellaneous items (I love buying books and curriculum!). This is our second year and I didn't use a canned curriculum but spent lots of time of homeschooling boards picking up great advice - I also read WTM even tho I don't use all her materials - I do like some of her ideas. It's been a fun adventure and I don't regret getting a chance to do this with my three kids!

If you are wanting to enrich her, then I'd go with literature, Latin and music. I haven't picked a Latin course, but for music we are going with Calvert because of the hands on component. You might want to go with a music appreciation course. For literature I am using Sonlight readers. DD reads them herself and they come with a schedule that includes discussion and mapwork. I have tried Sonlight history and read alouds in the past and we didn't do well with those, but I am so impressed with the readers!

You might also use Writing With Ease. It includes literature and a systematic approach to report writing. Personally, I fully trust Susan to have the best writing program.

My fav beginning homeschooler rec is Calvert. Just like school = but at home. Allows you both to get used to each other again. Is demanding but scheduled so your child follows the plan and you get to curriculum search.

It's not too terribly expensive if you figure you'd have bought some flops without researching anyway, so might as well do something for school this year and get the character stuff in place THEN move towards the academic.

I went this route but was sooooo focused on the academic and when ds hit puberty we had major discipline/character issues.

Best wishes - it's a fantastic thing to do for your children. Don't doubt it.

If you are looking for a full curriculum, my pick would be McRuffy. The Language Arts and Math is top notch and the Science looks to be do-able. It would take less time than the school at home type programs. (K-12 and Calvert).

Oh, one that is very good that doesn't get mentioned as much, and is one I would consider along with McRuffy is Core Knowledge.

Edited by Lovedtodeath