Menu

How many days do you do Kinder?

BikeBookBread

How many days a week to you teach Kinder?  

1. 1. How many days a week to you teach Kinder?

• 1 or 2 days
    • 3 days
    • 4 days
    • 5 days

My 3 yr old and 5 yr old are the most active children I know. My kinder can be extremely hyper. They are so active to the point that I would never take them to the park by myself. They aren't bad there. They just dart between playground equipment so quickly that if you take your eyes off of them for a second they can disappear. It is extremely stressful at the park. So we stay at home and the kids run around and play in the yard.

:lol: I'm glad I'm not the only one. We still do the park, but only when I'm with my friends and have more than one set of eyes! Our read-alouds are usually lego or playmobil time too. Little boys!

We do 4 days for the K and preschooler. I have Bible study one morning a week so I leave independent work for the older 2 so we get some basics in. I takes the younger ones 2 hours, but about 1/2 of that is independent workboxes to keep them busy while I work with every one else!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Mamacita

Ok. I'm a brand spankin' new Homeschooler who has NO idea what dd or ds or dh means? I caught on to the daughter, son and hubby part, but what is "d"???? I am so new. This is the very first forum that I have joined thus far.

My biggest question of this week is...

How often am I supposed to be schooling for ABeka K4??

When looking over Phonics, Bible and Numbers, all have 170 lessons. They give an example schedule and has a lesson for every day (5 days/week). So I had started 9/7 and have been doing it 5 days a week (am 3 lessons behind in phonics...no biggie!)

I have a 2, 3 and 4 year old. I actually thought I'd do a unit study approach using the K4 curriculum for my 3 and 4 year old. (oldest will be 5 in Jan. and 3 yo will be 4 in June '10).

So far so good.

I just don't want to overschool them, or better yet, burn them out.

Is it normal to school them 5 days a week at these ages?

I'm all about letting them be kids and having fun.

One more ? ....

For anyone who taught Abeka K4 and K5...

Are they about the same??

Do I just continue with K4 and skip K5 and then into 1st grade when it's time??

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

I love Homeschooling and am so thankful to God for our freedom to do so!!

God bless and good night!!!

:)

Ok. I'm a brand spankin' new Homeschooler who has NO idea what dd or ds or dh means? I caught on to the daughter, son and hubby part, but what is "d"???? I am so new. This is the very first forum that I have joined thus far.

The "d" is dear. So, dd is dear daughter, ds is dear son, dh is dear husband, dc is dear child/children, etc...

My biggest question of this week is...

How often am I supposed to be schooling for ABeka K4??

For your 4 yr old, you don't "have" to do any minimum number of days a week, because I don't believe there are any states that require K at 4 yrs old. When your child reaches the compulsory age for your state, then there may be regulations that say how much you have to do per day or year. I think most that have any sort of time requirement just stipulate how many hours or days per year, not how many days per week or hours per day. Even then, sometimes it's more of a requirement to "assure" the state that you will do so--like in Ohio, we need to "assure" the state we will provide 900 hours per year, but there's no requirement that we record this, or show it to anyone. I know a homeschooling mom who says she counts from the time her dc wake up in the morning to when they go to bed at night (again, not actually putting it down on paper).

What state are you in?

As far as how much to realistically do A Beka 4K with 4 yr old, maybe someone else can answer that for you... :001_smile:

We have school 3 days a week (M/W/F) with a MOPS type program on Tuesdays while I'm at a bible study. It takes us about 1.5 - 2 hours a day. We do it all at once starting about 10:30am. We do Bible, Math, Writing, Reading and general skills (coloring/cutting/pasting/matching/etc.) workbooks.

We are doing pre-k. We do at least 5 days a week. Sometimes we do do some on the weekends. We don't have a very structured day. Probably 30 minutes of work and then time spent reading. This includes counting and sorting fruit snacks during snack time and reading/story time, which also happen on the weekends.

We do five days a week, but just a little bit each day.

Phonics: We do three or four pages in the phonics book. This is usually one activity (e.g. matching words to pictures), one very short story (three or four sentences), and a page of practice sounds/words.

Math: We usually play one of the Righstart card games. Then we quickly review key concepts we have been learning (e.g. say all even numbers to 10, then all odd numbers to 9; say the days of the week in order; count backwards from 10, etc.) Then we spend a few minutes on something new.

Handwriting: I usually have him practice writing one letter, or writing the capital and lowercase versions of one letter, or practice writing a few numbers about five times each. Not very much on any given day.

First Language Lessons: We usually do one lesson a day. They are very short. Sometimes we skip a day.

He joins in with his sister for science, which is two or three days a week, just because he adores science. Sometimes he listens to our history reading, sometimes he doesn't. I try to read him some picture books sometime during the day. He usually chooses a book about insects, or rocks, or animals. I read aloud from a novel to both of them at night. Art and music are sort of informal right now.