Menu

660 sf too small for 5 people?

This sounds like a wonderful place! I would fix up those extra buildings, one for your business, and one for something else. There are all kinds of ideas for living in small spaces, and it can work. I would look at Pottery Barn for ideas. they have a table with storage underneath, you can put storage space under beds, there are so many ideas for storage. I would do it in a heartbeat.

It is 1/2 mile from public access to a HUGE, gorgeous lake with endless kayaking possibilities.

And in the Ozark mtns, which are more like large, rolling hills.

My hubby and I lived in MT for 2 yrs and L.O.V.E. the mountains.

We went on a fly fishing trip to WY a few weeks ago and decided that we like it better here.

The Rockies are gorgeous, but a little more rugged than I remembered.

I must have the four distinct seasons to be happy! :001_smile:

We want to buy a place now where we can retire later on.

It must be in the country and it must be a log or cedar cabin.

We can always build a bigger place or add on later.

15 minutes from a town with a hospital and all the 10,000 population amenities.

30 minutes from a 70,000 pop city.

The Rockies have four seaons! :001_smile: I love the Rockies. They're home.

We're a family of 5. I have three boys and if I had the opportunity to do this, I would do it in a second. You could totally make it work. I think just being in that location would make it all worthwhile. You can be creative with your space and if you cover the porches then it is like giving yourself extra rooms.

I envy you. That sounds so wonderful!

Well, first of all :drool5:...20 acres sounds marvelous!

Secondly, we do have some friends who have 4 kids and are living in a very similar little cabin. I don't know what the actual sf is but it's probably about the same as yours. They love it. Their kids are all very close and they love being near each other. All.the.time. So, it could definitely work, especially if you have 20 acres to get away from each other when you need; you know....everyone to their own corners and all that...:D

then it's just a matter of how long one is willing to live in 660 sq. ft.

I personally would think that it would be sort of cramped with a 16 year old ds, a 14 year old ds, and one coming up under them.

But for a short period, I think it would be fine. You just need to make sure that your sons are the kinds of people who can tolerate that. I think many people would consider that cozy and happy, but others would be crawling the walls. While as a parent it's your choice where to live and your children don't really get a "vote," if it's for more than a year or so, I would consider the personalities of my children seriously. A miserable 15 year old is tough.

I always wanted a bed like they had in the Mickey Mouse cartoon where they went on the trip in the camper. If you could hook the house up like that camper was set up, I would live there with you happily.

I can't remember the name of the cartoon, but it was Donald, Goofy and Mickey going on some trip. The bathtub was zipped closed at the top, the alarm clock ripped the blankets off Donald, spanked his feet and then closed the bed up... that's going to drive me crazy now :P

Oh, and I can always do a retreat. Are we allowed to camp and have fires? There's nothing like tasteless mush cooked over a fire during cold, we weather (whenever we camp it is cold and wet, be forwarned).

I love that one, too~

It's on the Starring Goofy dvd.

You can have fires and I'd love for you to camp.

I'm serious, too! ;)

then it's just a matter of how long one is willing to live in 660 sq. ft.

I personally would think that it would be sort of cramped with a 16 year old ds, a 14 year old ds, and one coming up under them.

But for a short period, I think it would be fine. You just need to make sure that your sons are the kinds of people who can tolerate that. I think many people would consider that cozy and happy, but others would be crawling the walls. While as a parent it's your choice where to live and your children don't really get a "vote," if it's for more than a year or so, I would consider the personalities of my children seriously. A miserable 15 year old is tough.

We WILL add on, trust me!

We all get along great for the most part, pms aside. :D

Fanghorn Forest is where we are moving, according to my 6yo.

He couldn't be happier with his legos and a pillow.

I would love to spend the majority of my time outside!

Here in the city, it's just not that interesting,, kwim?

You guys have me more excited than I was to start with!!! :lol:

AND I'm going to have all of these great homeschool visitors, so I can't wait~:D

The wood cabin we (seven) vacation in is about this big. It's been in the family for 70 years, about 600 sq ft, and contains 4 double beds & a daybed (and we've slept 9 repeatedly with my folks). The kids lounge on their beds a lot.

The helpful aspect is the loft in the eaves which uses the ceilings of the 2 bedrooms as its floor.

Another space-saving aspect would be Murphy-style, or rollaway beds. That way the bedroom space is not taken up with large beds.

The triple-bunk idea suggested by another poster is another good alternative. A cheaper-than-Ikea alternative: boost a regular bunk bed UP with a solid foundation (bricks or metal?) & slide a single mattress underneath the bottom bunk.

We have 4 boys in our bonus room over the garage, ages 7 to 15. Their Legos, book collections, etc. are making for a tight fit (and no room for bunks/lofts). Boxes under their beds are FULL of treasures & clothes. However, they are very happy rooming together & we believe they are better off learning to live together! (Though we will QUICKLY swap them out once their older sister moves out of her bedroom!)

The musings about beds makes me want to go pull out our copy of the Marx Brothers film, "The Big Store". Anybody else love that scene where they are selling beds, and children disappear into the walls, offspring are swapped between families, and so on down the madcap routine ?

Totally off-topic (sorry OP) but I love the Marx brothers. "The Big Store" is one of my favorites.

After living in 900 sq. ft. for 7.5 years, I know it's possible. We now are a family of 7, and it is way, way, way too tight. Thankfully, we should be breaking ground on our long-awaited home before Thanksgiving!

Anything is possible for a season, but I do know sharing a bathroom with 5 young ones gets a bit... old. Nothing like trying to get some quiet time in the shower and having your 6yo screaming he's got to "go" now -- so comes in and stinks up the place, promptly ruining the illusion Calgon created.:lol:

It is 1/2 mile from public access to a HUGE, gorgeous lake with endless kayaking possibilities.

And in the Ozark mtns, which are more like large, rolling hills.

My hubby and I lived in MT for 2 yrs and L.O.V.E. the mountains.

We went on a fly fishing trip to WY a few weeks ago and decided that we like it better here.

The Rockies are gorgeous, but a little more rugged than I remembered.

I must have the four distinct seasons to be happy! :001_smile:

We want to buy a place now where we can retire later on.

It must be in the country and it must be a log or cedar cabin.

We can always build a bigger place or add on later.

15 minutes from a town with a hospital and all the 10,000 population amenities.

30 minutes from a 70,000 pop city.

I think it sounds perfect. How soon will you be able to add on so the kids won't go crazy? Teens do need their space. Moving to that much space, your kids will probably spend most of their time outside. We have acreage and our boys, before they started public school (they're 14 and 17.5) would head outside after school and not come in until dinner. My younger son still spends time outside. On days we didn't school, they'd head out in the morning after breakfast and come in for dinner. On school nights when the moon was bright and the ground was snow covered, they'd play outside and sled util 10 or 11 at night. They can scream and squeal all they want, there are only 3 homes on this road and we own the entire side of our road. Nobody can hear them with their windows closed. I couldn't live any other way than in the country. Your youngest will lead a very full and rich life having all that space.

Since you're planning for retirement, I think it sounds perfect. Does it have a basement you could finish off for extra bedrooms?

FWIW, we bought a post and beam home. LOVE the character.