Menu

Need to get my dd a half credit of science in an easy way

Here is the quick story. My dd has a seven month long headache that delayed her in both science and math. In math, it doesn't matter because she was ahead originally. In science, she managed to make-up half a credit with a summer program and some additional work (often done on vacations). Now I was going to have her do two credits in geology at the local CC but that isn't going to work. She has a very heavy workload with 2.5 credits in English, 2 credits in Social Sciences, 1 credit in math, 1 credit in science, and 1 credit in Spanish plus she is on debate team, playing soccer, and singing in choir. The thing I liked about the original plan for geology was that it would only take two Saturdays and two evenings for her to get two CC credits which I would then convert to a .5 college credit. Without anything else, she would graduate with 3.5 science credits but since she is considering becoming a physician, I think she should graduate with at least 4. Any ideas?

The thing I liked about the original plan for geology was that it would only take two Saturdays and two evenings for her to get two CC credits which I would then convert to a .5 college credit.

I am confused - what do you mean by this? How can two community college credits = 0.5 college credits?

It would be easier to make suggestions if you gave a bit more background info, such as what science your daughter has already had, and what she's doing for math right now. The recommended background for students going into biology or chemistry is at least 1 year each of biology, chemistry, and physics. Has she had these? If not, you would want to start with those.

It sounds like you have a very productive daughter!

GardenMom

My dd has had chemistry, is doing biology this year and will do physics next year. She also did a half credit work in the summer between freshmand and sophomore year in marine science. I meant that the 2 college credits were going to count as .5 high school credit. I count 3 college credits as a 1 hs credit.

Yes, she is super productive and I am so angry about the mess that the local community college made of her registration. They would have us pay more than twice what we were supposed to pay and with another one in college that we are paying full price for, we can't afford such things.

We take learning vacations and plenty of them. We also watch lots of nature tv. I am thinking since she is getting three rigorous science credits with labs, and had one half credit of field science, we can probably hobnob together some other half credit. But I want easy ideas and possible course titles. Her biology will take her more than 180 hours which is why I am not interested in giving her another tough course. She is my hardest working kid and it isn't her fault she only got half a credit in her freshman year. It isn't anyone's, she just was sick and couldn't do it. If she wasn't going to try to get into tough schools, I would just leave it at 3.5 credits in science but she has expressed interest in very competitive schools so I don't want to give her a disadvantage.

My son has a half credit listed under science which I called History and Philosophy of Science. It was built around Teaching Company History of Science Antiquity to 1700 plus several of the texts recommended by TC with an additional list of books I chose. It would also be possible to cover a longer time span by including the second and/or third TC history of science series and shortening the reading list.

I expected the following work from ds:

1. Watch dvd's,take notes, and then compare his notes to the outlines provided with the dvd's

2. Discuss the lectures with me

3. Keep a notebook of written answers to questions about the additional reading.

4. Write a series of essays on different topics. [one longer research paper would be another option.]

Martha

Here is the quick story. My dd has a seven month long headache that delayed her in both science and math. In math, it doesn't matter because she was ahead originally. In science, she managed to make-up half a credit with a summer program and some additional work (often done on vacations). Now I was going to have her do two credits in geology at the local CC but that isn't going to work. She has a very heavy workload with 2.5 credits in English, 2 credits in Social Sciences, 1 credit in math, 1 credit in science, and 1 credit in Spanish plus she is on debate team, playing soccer, and singing in choir. The thing I liked about the original plan for geology was that it would only take two Saturdays and two evenings for her to get two CC credits which I would then convert to a .5 college credit. Without anything else, she would graduate with 3.5 science credits but since she is considering becoming a physician, I think she should graduate with at least 4. Any ideas?

I think she could do Signs and Seasons Astronomy book in one semester if she read the book and did some of the labs.

What about anatomy? Are there any teaching company lectures she could listen to? If you made it a non-lab science, it would be easier.

Great idea!

I have an anatomy course I bought for my dd, from the recommendation of someone on these boards (sorry - I can't remember who). It looks like it would work well for 1/2 credit of study.

Here's some info:

Anatomy & Physiology for Health Professions: An Interactive Journey by Colbert, Ankney, & Lee, pub. by Prentice Hall, c. 2007 (there may be a later edition)

Text ISBN: 0-13-151268-4, or 978-0-13-151268-9

Workbook ISBN: 0-13-188976-1

I believe this is used at community colleges - but don't know for what courses/degrees. The text has 14 chapters and 560 pages. It looks clearly written with plenty of helpful illustrations and a decent amount of white space. The last 74 pages have study helps, answers, medical terminology & abbreviations, lab reference values, a glossary, and an index. It includes a CD-ROM. The workbook has multiple-choice, matching, fill-in-the-blank, and short answer questions, with answers to all in the back.

This looks like something a student could complete in 30+ weeks, working on it for 2-3 hours a week - which equals enough hours for 1/2 credit.

You can get both from Amazon Marketplace sellers for about $30-$40 if you shop carefully.

Another option would be to have her do more chemistry, unless she's already done AP or CC level chem.

HTH,

GardenMom

My son did half a credit (one semester) of environmental science using this text (this links to some of the online helps). It was fairly easy, and he completed almost all the book in 16 weeks or so (I think we left off two chapters, but I don't really remember). She could write a short, 5-6 page paper or start up some sort of environmental program for your family, like recycling or something, for a "final exam."

How about Epidemiology? My son is doing it as a 1/2 credit because it is his Science Olympiad event. There are 2 online courses that are easy and fun - I think you can find them both on the Science Olympiad main site (http://www.soinc.org) - look under events for 'Disease Detectives'. I know one is something like MOntclair Disease Detective course and the other is YES and is done by the Collegeboard.

I think she would enjoy that if she wants to study medicine and it would look good to colleges as it is something out of the ordinary.

If you need me to find the exact website, just email or PM me. I would look now, but need to run

Meryl

Since she is already doing Biology, and you say she will have over 180 hours (120 hours = 1 Carnegie unit), I would just add a bit of extra anatomy & physiology and give her 1.5 credits for "Biology with Anatomy & Physiology." Since she plans to be a physician, I think that would be a better addition to her transcript than a 1/2 credit in something like Geology or Astronomy.

Teaching Co has a couple of excellent Human Anatomy/Physiology courses, she could just watch the videos in the evening after dinner:

Understanding the Human Body: An Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology (32 45-minute lectures; not currently on sale but you can find it used on ebay or wait for a sale)

http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/coursedesclong2.aspx?cid=160

The Human Body: How We Fail, How We Heal (24 30-minute lectures; currently on sale for $70)

http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/coursedesclong2.aspx?cid=1564

Jackie