Menu

Blogging: Is It Worthwhile?

I have thought about blogging, but, I don't know exactly, I just never have taken the leap.

For one, I am afraid it will become one more thing on my 'To Do' list that goes undone.

For two, I already spend (more than) enough OL time -- am I being a good steward of my time if I commit to even more?

Third, what will I get out of blogging?

Fourth, even if blogging builds friendships, etc., isn't that time better spent investing in people in 'real life' as it were?

And fifth, I have security concerns. Are they valid?

Sixth, what if no one reads my blog? LOL

Seventh, what if people read my blob but are critical?

So for those of you who blog, I guess the pros outweigh the cons for you. Could you elaborate?

And for those who don't blog, I guess the cons outweigh the pros. I'd love to hear from you as well!

~Marcia, Mom to Six Terrific Kids

I love my blogs. I have the horse blog and a family blog. The family blog is more of a friend blog, though, because my family isn't very computery. They pop in from time to time though. But some friends that moved away have a blog too, and we visit daily to see what they are doing.

I also have a blog that has nothing on it, I just use it to harass my sister. It's a running joke. (it's the Drunken Monkey blog, from something we did last summer.)

And then I have a blog set up as a sales site for my horses for sale. So I like my blogs!

And knowing what you're trying to do can help answer your questions.

I started so that we could make far-away grandparents happy. They're happy. They love checking the blog at work and forcing all their friends to look at pics of the g'babies and their dd's oh-so-clever posts. Raging success on that score.

Since I was doing it anyway, I started to try to make myself post every day, and post on a variety of different topics--book reviews, knitting, heady theology, silly stuff, etc. I used it just to practice my "voice." So, I got a lot of practice. I feel like I've found a couple different "styles" of writing where I'm comfy. Again, success on that score.

I didn't really start one to make online friends. I do have some people that I now "know" through the blogosphere, but if I hadn't ever "met" anyone, it wouldn't have been a disaster, because that's not why I was blogging.

I didn't really start one to get lots of hits--I assumed it would just be the g'parents reading it. So, when non-family leave nice comments, I am pleasantly surprised. And I've never really had someone leave nasty comments. Some argumentative ones, but I love nothing more than a good debate, so I thought that was fun.:boxing_smiley: If I had gotten the other kind, I just would have deleted them, frankly. That's what's nice about having your own blog. You're in the driver's seat. :driving:

If you have other reasons, then you might have different answer to your questions. Publicizing your etsy shop? Then it matters whether or not no one reads it. Wanting to vent about your MIL? Then your privacy concerns matter, and you may want to go undercover. (I don't post anything I wouldn't want my MIL and my tenure committee to read. That keeps me out of trouble.)

For one, I am afraid it will become one more thing on my 'To Do' list that goes undone.

Mine is what you'd hear referred to as a navel-gazing blog. I'm good with that. *grin* This is an incredibly busy season in my life, and I love having a quiet place for my inner introvert to sit down and talk to myself. Blogging in the morning tends to result in a dry to-do list that wasn't fun to write, much less read. It's that "one more thing to do" feeling, for me. I like to blog in the evening, when the day is done and the chaos is over. I like to sift through the day and find the things about our day that made me smile (or, made me cuss and see if I can put it down in a way that will remind me to smile the next time). Doesn't always work so much, but it's a good mental exercize.

For two, I already spend (more than) enough OL time -- am I being a good steward of my time if I commit to even more?

That's really something only you can answer. I let other things go in order to carve out time for writing. (Something I'm working on in other areas, as well.) For me, I like to write. It's cathartic. It's a skill I can work on. For me, it's good, if that makes sense.

Our family is scattered 2000 miles away, and we don't get to have coffee in the mornings with the Aunts, or show them the kids in their uniforms. Yet I know the Aunts read the blog each morning over coffee, so I get to be there by proxy. I can't always catch my MIL on the phone to share Grandbaby stories, but if I blog it, I know she'll read it. Nobody has seen the house as it's been renovated, or the babies when they are "brand new", or what our life is like here at the Forever Home, other than on the blog. But b/c of the blog, they know we're not wasting away in a Deliverance-style shack in the middle of some place God forgot.

Oh, plus, it's an awesome memoir for the kids one day - because I have two partially-filled baby books (and five children!), and you couldn't pay me to try to scrapbook. GO BLURB! The boys do read the blog. They put in requests ("Hey, would you take a picture of this and blog it?") The feel pretty special when they read their birthday posts, or other special things.

Fourth, even if blogging builds friendships, etc., isn't that time better spent investing in people in 'real life' as it were?

The added bonus has been the virtual comaraderie that's developed from my truly wonderful readers and those who blog their own adventures. We've been fortunate to meet with several people, who I hope will always remember our door is open when they're in our neck of the woods. The boys have thoroughly enjoyed meeting the other children, as well, and someday, when they *aherm* get over their pencil allergies, they may get motivated to start writing to their pals. :willy_nilly:

But, no, in my experience, I don't find that I've neglected local, real, personal interaction b/c of my online interactions. I do realize that can be a concern, but really, aside from the fact that I can be just plain old weird sometimes, I do think I'm a fairly balanced person and I don't tend to worry over that.

You can pretty much control the level of security on your blog. Blogger has the option to have your blog searchable in search engines or not. There are also options to list is as private, password protected, etc. It's up to you and your comfort zone. There have been discussions of this on the forums that address the validity and issues far better than I could. I tend not to worry about it much.

Whether anyone reads your blog is really only an issue if you're writing for others. If you write for yourself, then you won't care. If you write to be read, then you'll have to hone your craft and draw your readers. (Although that process is rather antithetical to the whole security thing. ;) )

Some people will be critical. Some people are jackhoos. That's the way of the world. The only ugliness I've experienced is from people who disagree with my politics and think the best way to disagree is by throwing vulgarity and ire my way, as if that somehow makes them right. :bored: B/C the family does read the blog, and b/c the kids do, as well, I do have comment moderation in place. I'll publish comments that disagree with me, or even call me on something if I've been ugly, myself. I've apologized when I've done something offensive that was brought up in the comments. But I do filter, and if someone is just ugly b/c they're ugly, and there's nothing to acknowledge or respond to. Delete. Move on. No biggie. And sometimes you'll run across the occasional commenter who feels the need to say something snarky b/c your 2yo threw a fit (wonder of wonders), or you caught your 5yo *gasp* lying. Sometimes it's strange the things people will pick to criticize. On the whole, though, people who read and comment tend to be pretty decent folk.

So for those of you who blog, I guess the pros outweigh the cons for you. Could you elaborate?

So, um, I suppose it's obvious I blog, huh? :w00t:

I do have a few guidelines I follow. They aren't on some ettiquette list somewhere, and there are no hard-and-fast rules. These are just things that fall within my personal zone.

* I don't ever bash my husband. Ever. No matter how irritated I may be, or how much we may disagree on something at any point. Ever. He's my husband, my partner and I respect that. I respect him. I won't write anything that I would be ashamed to have him read a year later, anything that would have him come away feeling like I'd somehow hung him out to dry. kwim?

* I find that I disclose less about my children as they get older. Somehow, I feel a little more protective over DS9's privacy, and I often ask his permission before I blog something he's done. He's pretty gracious about being able to laugh at his own foibles, but he's surprised me with the few things he's asked me not to blog. I can respect that. The 2yo, however, is fair game!

* B/C of the nature of DH's job, I have him proof anything I blog that's related to his work or his travel, and he gets final veto power on that.

* ... Huh... I thought there was more, but that's about it.

My blog is my front porch. I put out the coffee and snacks and hang out there to visit, reflect, think, ask, play. I like the folks who come to visit. They've made our many moves over the years far less painful. They've made me laugh, encouraged me, and made me think or re-think many things. How gratifying! What a gift! And in turn, I really hope that I can offer those same things in return to others. That wasn't part of why I started blogging. It's grown out of it. Perhaps those who read my blog get something completely different out of it than what I think I'm putting into it. I don't know. But I do know that I've enjoyed blogging and plan to continue.

HTH!

Dy

Especially this one:

* I don't ever bash my husband. Ever. No matter how irritated I may be, or how much we may disagree on something at any point. Ever. He's my husband, my partner and I respect that. I respect him. I won't write anything that I would be ashamed to have him read a year later, anything that would have him come away feeling like I'd somehow hung him out to dry. kwim?

Frankly, I just stop reading hubby-bashing blogs. They're completely uninteresting. People who share their struggles in a non-bashing way? Interesting, helpful, and sometimes even moving. But hubby-bashing, closely followed by MIL-bashing, is just a turn-off.

I've been blogging for a couple years. It started as an offshoot of my business, and really it still is, but there's a lot of personal (not TOO personal) stuff.

I try to post regular every day stuff on there, mostly for my family - although they never read it. Weird huh?

I do a lot of giveaways and contests and designer conglomerations where each designer gives away a new pattern.

I've also found it to be a great way to get others involved in charity projects. I'm currently hosting a Macuwita sni quilting challenge And just recently started Simple Hospitality - encouragement for stay at home women.

And I agree with the 'rules'. I never say anything even remotely bad about my husband. Not that I have anything bad to say about him, I love him to pieces. And I also agree - the current trend toward man bashing just turns my stomach.

I've found that I'm also a little more restrained when I put pictures of my family on there, especially the children and babies. You never know where those end up. Very sad situation.

Blogging is a great way to communicate and connect. You just usually don't know who you're connecting to until later! :)

I have thought about blogging, but, I don't know exactly, I just never have taken the leap.

And for those who don't blog, I guess the cons outweigh the pros. I'd love to hear from you as well!

~Marcia, Mom to Six Terrific Kids

I blog for a few reasons:

1) I enjoy writing and want to exercise my writing skills more

2) I want to share information (i.e. curriculum reviews and homeschooling tips) with other homeschoolers who may find it helpful

3) It's a fun, creative outlet for me

That said, I'm relatively new to blogging (I started in January of this year) and I have struggled with the very things you're wondering about. In fact, I almost gave up blogging a few short weeks after I started. Rather than write all about things here, just go to my blog and click on the "Blogging" link in my side bar...Scroll down to the very bottom and begin reading my inaugural post and work your way up to "The Pressure Cooker Blogger" post. One final word, your blog can be anything *you* want it to be. You're in control. If you do start blogging and get sick of it, just stop posting for a while...Take a bloggy break and come back to it in the future. Good luck deciding!

P.S. Someone above posted some great tips (not husband bashing, etc.) I like those. I have only one photo posted of myself (not on the front page) and I never post photos of my children or husband. It makes me feel more secure online.

I don't let it become another thing for my to-do list. I blog when I want to, and about what I want. I do host a WIP Wednesday that I make a commitment to, but I enjoy that and I would post it whether anyone participated or not.

This is personal. I blog after the housework, schoolwork, cooking, gardening, knitting, reading, and time with dh is done. Sometimes I start a post and don't finish it for a week, then I publish it. As long as you're not neglecting your duties to blog, it's just like any other computer time.

It keeps me from driving my husband crazy with all my random thoughts, rants, soapboxing, and ideas.

If you want more real life friends, sure. If you don't have time for extensive relationships, if you are new to an area, or you just feel isolated, blogging can help you feel like part of a community of like-minded individuals.

Sure they are. I don't blog with my real name, where I live, what I do (other than homemaking and homeschooling), or pictures of my kids, mine, or dh's faces. Dh and I discuss security concerns, pictures, etc. as they come up, and we haven't had a problem so far.

They will. Just adding it to your signature line here will generate plenty of traffic. For instance, I have over 100 hits per day on my blog (not a lot, but it's only been up 4 months, and I don't post every day), but I only have a handful of people who comment. I do wish more people would comment, but it always surprises me when I check my stat counter how many people are looking.

I've never had a critical comment. If I did, I would either reply in an intelligent, non-bashing manner, or delete the comment if I felt it was too much, unnecessary, or inappropriate.

Fwiw, I really, really wanted to start a blog for several months before I actually talked to dh about it and took the plunge. If you feel like it would be a hassle, don't do it. If you are really feeling drawn to blogging, try it out for a month or two. You can always delete the whole thing if you hate it.

Mine is just up to share resources I already had. I could not commit to posting regularly; there is no way I have that kind of time. I end up putting up new posts about once or twice a month.

Most of my readers are local, but now some come from this board or other places I am linked. I also get a lot of people googling for free book reports, LOL. :001_huh:

Really, you can just make it what you want.

I'm fairly new to blogging and when I started I felt totally insane. But now I really like blogging. I blog because:

1.It's a place to keep all my thoughts organized.

2.Family that lives far away can see what we're doing.

3.Once in a while I write something that is useful or helpful to someone.

4.I want those new to homeschooling to see that it does work.

5.I enjoy it.

The thing I just cannot do is post pictures. I feel a bit guilty about this because all my favourite blogs have lots of pictures but I'm just not comfortable posting them.

I post pictures all the time of things the kids are working on, pictures of them in their dress-up clothes, pictures of flowers in the yard, knitting projects, etc.

Dh and I have agreed not to post pictures of our faces or the kids, but that I can post anything I want within those guidelines. This maintains our anonymity, but I still get to take pictures.

I blog, therefore, I am.

LOL

I blog for my own benefit first. I gave my blog a theme-creativity-because I wanted to hold myself accountable for my own creative thoughts and actions. The blog was to keep me creative first and foremost.

And it has worked. I'm more aware of my creative life now than I have been since I closed up my photography shop nine years ago. It's been fun to find the creativity I express in gardening, cooking, writing, and other projects and share that with others.

To get others to read your blog....as someone else suggested have a link to your blog in your signature here. In fact, every where I post, I have a link to my blog. Occasionally, I'll post something that drives folks to my blog...spring garden photos, for example, on a gardening site I frequent. A few new visitors will become regulars.

Commenting on other blogs helps encourage others to comment on your blog. For me, this is a relaxing way to keep in touch with other like minded individuals.

All in all, my blog is for me. One of my fantasies is to run a magazine geared toward a creative life. My blog is a step in that direction.