Menu

Gym for co-op - ideas please

I will be teaching two classes this year at our co-op, gym and IEW writing. The writing class I am prepared for, it's the gym class that is overwhelming me.:lol:

What kinds of things can I do with 16 four and five year olds? Is there curriculum for this type of class. What activities have been hits? misses?

Thanks!

If your objective is mostly to have fun, old fashioned schoolyard games could work well. Circle games such as the Farmer in the Dell, the Hokey Pokey, Shoo Fly, or Duck, Duck, Goose. More active games include Simon Says, Follow the Leader, Red Light-Green Light, Mr. Fox What Time is It?, Red Rover, Four Square, and Hopscotch. Simple obstacle courses could also be fun.

When I used to teach, I had a great time with dances. (It depends upon the ages of the kids you have, though.)

We did the Virginia Reel, and I taught them Cotton-Eyed Joe, and the Chicken Dance, and the Mexican Hat Dance. We had a great time. Your library should have a bunch of music for this sort of thing, as well.

We just returned from my daughter's first homeschool group. In their gym time they did an obstacle course, played duck duck goose, and played mother may I. My daughter was thrilled to death because she's never gotten the opportunity to play duck duck goose because she's never been in a classroom setting with very many kids before.