Menu

Naming kids with a theme (same 1st letter, biblical, etc)

Tap

I was had a roommate whose name was Mondee and, yes, she had 6 siblings named Tuesdee, Wednesdee, Thursdee, and so on. I think you can take the pattern thing too far. :001_smile:

Amber in SJ

:iagree: Wow!

The only pattern we have is that we make sure the names sound fine in all three languages (English, Hebrew, Russian).

Edited by *Inna*

We did the exact same thing OP. We named our first with an 'n' at the end of her name, and then after naming our first son with an 'n' at the end of his name we felt obligated to name our second son with an 'n' too so he would not feel left out. We never intended to do anything similar in their names, but once we realized it we had to keep it up.

We have friends with 10 children, and they all start with "J." I have enough trouble getting around to the name I want already. If they all started with the same letter, I'd just sound like I have a profound stutter!

Our theme is simple:

1. They are classic, timeless names.

2. They are long names.

3. They are gender-specific when you hear them.

All of the names have a family connection as well. I think it's important for people to feel connected to their past in some way.

My dad chose my name, and can I tell you how much I despise the song, "Carrie Ann, what's your game now? Can anybody play?" (Herman and the Hermits, 1969ish. Uugh!!!:thumbdown: At least he changed the spelling to "Kari.")

Edited by momto7
add a thought

We do nature names too, so I have given this consideration.

There's Bear, and then there's Wolf, and then I guess Leaf. Oh, and Lark. Sage is popular; Pine, Dune, Star and Dusk are not. Consider Loch or Lake. I myself am quite partial to West. Dale is technically a nature name but I think, like Fern and Jasper, it's kind of gotten into the vernacular as a name and no one remembers it was once just a nature word except when they sing, "Over hill over dale we have hit the dusty trail and those caissons go rolling along." You may also consider Kitt to be a nature name because it's what the young of some animals are called, forgiving the extra t, of course. If you're okay with that sort of modification or stretching, you may also like Oake and Grey. Although I find it a bit odd, Moon is sometimes used for boys, too; it especially was in the seventies.

Wow, I have not been thinking hard enough LOL! I like quite a few of those!

We have friends with 10 children, and they all start with "J." I have enough trouble getting around to the name I want already. If they all started with the same letter, I'd just sound like I have a profound stutter!

Our theme is simple:

1. They are classic, timeless names.

2. They are long names.

3. They are gender-specific when you hear them.

All of the names have a family connection as well. I think it's important for people to feel connected to their past in some way.

My dad chose my name, and can I tell you how much I despise the song, "Carrie Ann, what's your game now? Can anybody play?" (Herman and the Hermits, 1969ish. Uugh!!!:thumbdown: At least he changed the spelling to "Kari.")

I like your name! And the song.

My name is the #2 female dog name in the country. :001_huh:

Our theme:)

Greek-based names NOT on the top 1000 Baby Name list for the first name.

Nature name for the 2nd.

1st dd - Greek for "truth", mn Raine

2nd dd - the Greek version was too popular, so we went with the Russian form of the Greek for "Life", mn Skye

3rd dd - Greek + English combo name meaning "earth worker (farmer)" + "full of grace", mn Breeze.

Wow, it's getting harder & harder to name our girls! LOL.

We have a pattern. Our girls all have old names. The first names are 2 syllable names that end with "a". Then their middle names are longer. Like several here, the pattern just kind of happened with the first two, and then we knew we needed to keep it going for the last one.

We have:

Anna Kathryn

Emma Caroline

Cora Elizabeth

If we had had a 4th daughter, her name would have been Lila Margaret. I am pretty sure if we had had a boy, his name would not have fit in the pattern because we couldn't ever agree on any boy's name other than Lucas. :001_smile:

We have a pattern. Our girls all have old names. The first names are 2 syllable names that end with "a". Then their middle names are longer. Like several here, the pattern just kind of happened with the first two, and then we knew we needed to keep it going for the last one.

We have:

Anna Kathryn

Emma Caroline

Cora Elizabeth

If we had had a 4th daughter, her name would have been Lila Margaret. I am pretty sure if we had had a boy, his name would not have fit in the pattern because we couldn't ever agree on any boy's name other than Lucas. :001_smile:

How about Noah? Noah doesn't technically end with an A, but it ends with the same sound as Anna, Emma, and Cora. :) Also, Noah Lucas sounds nice.

Mandy

My sisters and I all had the same initials, EMW, until we were married of course.

My only brother has the initials DMW, he was the first born and my mom swears that if one of us girls (there are four of us) had been a boy we would have had the initials DMW.

When I asked her why we all had the same initials, she said that a friend of her mother's had had a furniture store named EMW furniture after her own initials, and she liked the way it sounded. When she married someone with the last name Walsh, she went for it. My sisters and I really don't mind, when we were growing up we thought it was kind of neat.

I have friends who both have names starting with J and named both their children with J names, I think it is cute.

My own children all have letters at the beginning of their names, and when our youngest was born my husband suggested a name that had the same letter as our oldest, and I decided against it. For me, I guess they need to all match or all be different. We don't have a theme either, it is too hard for us to both agree to a name let alone follow a theme!