Menu

Need help with writing after Wordsmith Apprentice

Jen500

We're just finishing Wordsmith Apprentice--the boys liked it, but I didn't feel it had enough actual writing in the first 2/3 of the book, so I had to add more writing assignments. I don't know what to use after we finish WA.

I own these-

IEW US History based lessons (vol 1)-my dc would like the topic, but I don't like all the checklists, and references to dress-ups and banned words. So I'm undecided.

Writing Strands-my dc haven't liked this in the past.

Paragraph Town- I'm not sure I can implement this.

Any suggestions? We have grammar covered. I prefer secular. I've looked at TWTM suggestions and I'm just getting overwhelmed.

After Wordsmith Apprentice, we went onto an IEW theme-based book, so that would get my vote. As far as dress-ups and banned words, any good writing program will work on word choices - selecting quality adjectives, adverbs, etc. When I felt like the checklist didn't suit us for any reason, I got out a pencil and a ruler and crossed out the ones I wasn't going to require. The idea behind IEW is to get the student so comfortable with quality structure and style that it becomes natural. It's normal to feel artificial at first. And as the ultimate editor in your home, if you want to adjust the pacing or requirements... DO!

We are doing IEW. Not sure why you do not like the checklists, but I have found them helpful. I LOVE the banned word list. My ds completed Wordsmith Apprentice and consistantly used the same 3 adjectives thru out the whole book- stupid, great and fun.;) So the banned words list has opened up his horizons (along with the portable walls which have synonyms on them.)

Have you looked at WriteShop? We're using it this year. So far, it's been great.

Here's the curriculum's website: www.writeshop.com

Do a search on these forums for Write Shop. Look for "Sue in St. Pete". She has a great review that she often links to.

HTH,

Patty

:iagree:

love WS!

plenty of pro-active word lists, and there's a checklist for each assignment. It does include a few vague references to God, but can very easily be used secularly, i think. [we're pretty sensitive to too much doctrinal stuff in our curriculum.]

We are doing IEW. Not sure why you do not like the checklists, but I have found them helpful. I LOVE the banned word list. My ds completed Wordsmith Apprentice and consistantly used the same 3 adjectives thru out the whole book- stupid, great and fun.;) So the banned words list has opened up his horizons (along with the portable walls which have synonyms on them.)

I don't think my dc have a problem coming up with descriptive words on their own....so I don't want to make an issue out of the banned words list. (Hmmm...maybe I just don't like checklists that aren't my own ;);)) Glad the approach is working for your son!