Menu

Can I freeze fried eggs?

I was thinking of making Momma McMuffins and freezing them ahead of time for the month. Can I do this with fried eggs (over medium - hard), cheese, and ham or something.

Any suggestions or experience?

If I were you, before I invested in all the ingredients, I'd fry one egg and put it in the freezer. Thaw it in a few days, and see what it's like.

Scrambled eggs freeze fine, except that they're a little dry and tough when thawed/reheated. My guess is that the yolk of the egg will be fine, but that the whites may not hold up to freezing very well. Incorporating them with the fat (yolk) helps with this when they're scrambled.

I second (or third) the try one or two first to see how it works for you. I've never frozen them, but I have put them in fridge when I made too many and the next day the whites are rubbery. Not horrible, but not something I'd want to eat on a regular basis.

Scrambled on the other hand do well in both fridge and freezer....like Janet, I think it has a lot to do with the fat. We typically scramble the cheese with the eggs and cook, so there is even more fat. We then sprinkle a tiny amount of cheese on the heated up scrambled eggs to make up for the dryness. Yummy on english muffins, toast, in a tortilla, or just on your plate.

I've tried this. The whites are icky. But like others have said, if you do it scrambled they're fine. What I do now, is scramble them in a dish with a bit of water, then cook them in a square griddle pan like you would an omelet -- all flat. Then when it's cooked I cut the flat egg thingy into 9 squares that are slightly smaller than a slice of cheese (because that's how many I can cut with the size of the pan I use).

I'm sure you could use a round pan and just cut into quarters that will fit fine. Or try some other way to divide them. Maybe cook them in the oven on a cookie sheet?

HTH. Just thinking out loud....

Maybe cook them in the oven on a cookie sheet?

That's a great idea! and johnandtinagilbert -- the reason to add liquid (water, milk, cream, etc.) to eggs that will be scrambled is that it lightens -- or loosens -- them, so they are more tender. This would be especially helpful if you're going to freeze them. The protein in the whites is what makes them tough.

I've heard of doing it like an egg mcmuffin. You scramble the egg and cook it in an egg ring to produce a round shape that will fit on a muffin. You can use metal cookie cutters too if you want to do fun shapes. Or you can do a very thin omlette and fold it. Lots of options. I would freeze all the pieces separately and then combine them when reheating to avoid mushiness especially of the bread/muffin/bagel.

I have done this. I mixed up eggs like I do for scrambled eggs, then baked them instead of frying them. I cut them into squares (easier to cut in the baking pan) that fit biscuits. I guess those were actually 'biscuit mcmuffins' but I do it with English muffins, too. I layer the egg mixture with a slice of cheese and ham or Canadian bacon, wrap and freeze. They are great later, and thaw and heat up well. We have eaten them cold, too, but prefer them hot.

Sometimes I add diced ham or crumbled up cooked bacon to the eggs instead of adding it later.

Yes, you can do it and it is helpful for a quick breakfast on busy mornings.

If you baked the scrambled eggs, could you put them in a muffin tin? That might be easier than cutting it into squares.

I'm going to try this...thanks for the inspiration! (I've done breakfast burritos before and frozen them...but this sounds like another great idea for an easy breakfast).

If you baked the scrambled eggs, could you put them in a muffin tin? That might be easier than cutting it into squares.

Yes, this works well. I've done it before. I put diced green chilis and a bit of cheese in the bottom of each spot on the muffin tin and then poured the egg over each one. You could use any toppings (or would that be bottomings in this case?) that you like.

Thank you, everyone! You ladies are awesome as usual!

I have used muffin tins for a quick prepare ahead of time b-fast by putting 6 eggs with a piece of bacon over top, and muffin mix in the other 6 for b-fast. Of course, that wouldn't feed my hungry, growing middle schoolers anymore, so I'm thinking the burritos (yummy idea) and english muffins are a great idea!

Albertson's sells 6-packs of english muffins 10/$10. I love to make stock up bfast I can drop in the over or toaster oven and have for school days. I really need the time this year :)

Thanks again, everyone. You ladies ROCK!