Menu

Need 'must see' attractions in San Diego.....

dh is going to San Diego at the end of the month for 4 days (possibly 5) -- he and I are talking about the kids and I going along.

I haven't been to SD in about 35 years -- I remember the zoo, but little else...and suffice to say, there is stuff there now that wasn't there then.

What should we absolutely not miss? Most days, it will be just the kids and me as dh will be in meetings and conferences -- he is arranging his schedule to visit the zoo with us.

:001_smile: TIA

I second Snickerdoodle - while the Star of India is going into dry dock now, there are several other ships in the same museum, including Surprise (used in Master and Commander film) and you can walk from the Midway to these other ships. Plus you pass Anthony's Sea Grotto* - famous fish restaurant on the water - as you go.

*I may have the name slightly off....we were there last June.

Plus take a ferry or drive over the long bridge to Coronado island and wander around the huge old white wooden Hotel Coronado (seen in the film Some Like it Hot) you can also access beach there.

Edited by JFSinIL

Seaport Village, Coronado Island -including the Hotel Del Coranado), Point Loma Tide Pools, Lajolla Cove ( see the seals at the children's pool), Scripps Aquarium, Balboa park museums, SD Zoo, Wild Animal Park, The pier at Pacific Beach, Torey Pines state park, Mt Soledad,

Ah.....now I'm homesick....

Seaport Village, Coronado Island -including the Hotel Del Coranado), Point Loma Tide Pools, Lajolla Cove ( see the seals at the children's pool), Scripps Aquarium, Balboa park museums, SD Zoo, Wild Animal Park, The pier at Pacific Beach, Torey Pines state park, Mt Soledad,

Ah.....now I'm homesick....

All these! What a great place to live or visit! Loved SD!!

After hearing so much about the San Diego zoo, dd (only child at the time) and I went there on a trip. We paid about $45 for the two of us to get in and ride the tram across. Having grown up with the St. Louis zoo being free every day, I was expecting that if we paid this much for the San Diego zoo it must be absolutely out of this world. In actuality, it was little more than the St. Louis zoo. So...if you haven't been to many zoos or are used to paying to go to the zoo you might be very pleased with the zoo. But I'll take our St. Louis zoo any day over the San Diego zoo! I did hear the wildlife park was much better than the zoo so if you are looking for animals you might want to check that out instead.

After hearing so much about the San Diego zoo, dd (only child at the time) and I went there on a trip. We paid about $45 for the two of us to get in and ride the tram across. Having grown up with the St. Louis zoo being free every day, I was expecting that if we paid this much for the San Diego zoo it must be absolutely out of this world. In actuality, it was little more than the St. Louis zoo. So...if you haven't been to many zoos or are used to paying to go to the zoo you might be very pleased with the zoo. But I'll take our St. Louis zoo any day over the San Diego zoo! I did hear the wildlife park was much better than the zoo so if you are looking for animals you might want to check that out instead.

With the DC zoo being our closest, the kids have yet to visit a quality zoological park -- so the SD zoo is a must on my list -- :) -- I do remember that when I was last there (SO long ago there were still real live dinosaurs:lol::lol:), I enjoyed it --I do know that my dh has been to the St. Louis zoo and loved it -- perhaps when he travels there (which he does often) we should tag along and visit there as well. Thanks for the tip :001_smile:. Thanks for the info about the admission fee -- $45. is steep.

We went to San Diego couple of years ago. Kids loved Wild Animal Park and Lego Land. We bought Go San Diego Card which allows you to visit few major attractions for one low price.

http://www.smartdestinations.com/san-diego-attractions-and-tours/_d_Sdo-p1.html

Thank you for that tip - I will get on that right away. and....legoland....well, what can I say? Even I am excited about that -- assuming that I don't have to pick up any and put them in toy storage boxes?!:glare:

And, thanks to everyone for the great tips here -- :001_smile::001_smile:

We traveled to San Diego this winter and loved it. I highly recommend Point Loma tide pools and Cabrillo National Park. Someone here suggested both places and they were right on! They are very close to each other and about 15 minutes drive from downtown.

Have a great trip!!

Just wanted to mention that the Scripps Aquarium is now called Birch Aquarium. Be sure to look up directions online before you go. Gorgeous view of the ocean (the whole coastline, really) from the Birch Aquarium. Perhaps go there the same day you go to La Jolla Cove or La Jolla Shores? They are all in the same part of town, and Birch probably won't take a whole day.

Julie