Menu

Problem with Saxon Algebra 2....

Guest Virginia Dawn

Guest Virginia Dawn

I was very happy with this choice, and so was ds. Three days into the book, what seems to me to be a glaring omission- no explanation at all that any variable or number with a zero exponent is equal to 1. I searched the entire book, it's not there. However, it is expected that you know that, because almost immediately there are multiple problems with terms that have exponents of zero. Everything else has been explained with great detail, but not this. I had to look it up in another algebra book (I had forgotten it myself).

Anyway, should I expect more surprises like this?

My son DID have Saxon Algebra I last year, and had the same complaint this week. I found it on the internet for him, but you're right, it's nowhere in the book.

My older two also completed this text and I don't remember running into this problem. It was a few years ago, though, so who knows. If there are things like this all throughout the book, I think I would remember.

My older two went on through Advanced Mathematics and Calculus and had no problems.

We hit the same lesson this week and had the same problem because my son did TT Algebra I. My dd, who is in the middle of MUS algebra, gave him a quick tutoring lesson in exponents - she did enjoy being one up on her brother! I was wondering the same thing - how many more surprises there might be. I'm thinking about ording the DIVE CD - maybe that will help?

This is definitely covered in Saxon Algebra 1. Saxon Algebra 2 would assume the student already knew it.

Now if anybody can give me a clear reason WHY that math fact is true, that's what I'D love to know! I never could understand the concept, we just accept it as fact.

no explanation at all that any variable or number with a zero exponent is equal to 1.

I'm not surprised. That concept isn't an Alg-2 concept, is it?

Seems more like middle school math concept to me?

Anyway, should I expect more surprises like this?

If the student's preparation for Algebra-2 was lacking....... probably Yes.

zero exponents were in ds's 6th grade math book last year.

Oh there you go. I thought it was part of prior-to-Algebra-2 math.

:seeya:

Edited by Moni

My son DID have Saxon Algebra I last year,.

Wasn't it in Saxon Alg-1 ? :confused:

what seems to me to be a glaring omission

Well there are a lot of glaring omissions then.

It's just that all the glaring omissions were covered in previous arithmetic and earlier algebra

Did he try make up a problem, see what it would be?

2^0 ---> 2^3-3 ----> 2^3 / 2^3 ----> same-over-same ----> "1"

he knows same-over-same equals "1" from 5th grade math class, and there you go !

Edited by Moni

Now if anybody can give me a clear reason WHY that math fact is true, that's what I'D love to know.

Sure

It has to do with subtraction of expononents.

x^5 over x^5 (set up as a fraction)

is same over same

equals 1 over 1

....or just 1 right?

So we "know" it's 1

x^5

---- ---> x^5-5 ----> x^0 which is 1 :lol:

x^5

I have to agree with Moni. That is not an Algebra II subject. Algebra II cannot cover everything a student should have learned in middle school or Algebra I. That just isn't reasonable.

As for will there be ongoing issues? Well, it COULD have just been a stray gap. Or it could be a sign of not having a sufficient math background to do Algebra II.

JMO, but most students would benefit from a second year of Algebra.

I was a highly gifted student and that second year made all the difference in the world. I went from A's to straight 99's and found it maddening at the time; but looking at it down the road a little (and definitely as an adult), I'm SOOOOOOOO glad I had the extra year.

And both my kids (both mathy kids) also did more than one Algebra program. They weren't thrilled about it, but the results are obvious though they had no issue with the first time through the subject.

This concept is covered in Dolciani Pre-Alg. From the book...

7 to the zero power=7 to the 1st power/7 = 7/7 = 1

The powers of 7 in decreasing order are such that each power of 7 is the quotient of the preceding power divided by a factor of 7....This decreasing pattern suggest that 7 to the zero power is equal to 7 to the 1st power divided by 7.