Menu

Contemporary British lit for high school?

I'll be teaching a chronological British lit class this year and have all my material chosen except for something contemporary for the end of the course. I'm debating The Children of Men...but whereas that would certainly give rise to questions and discussion, ideally I would prefer to end the course on a more positive, less ambiguous note, especially after some of the heavier work we will be covering. The second-to-last work on my list is C. S. Lewis's Out of the Silent Planet, but I have room for another, and would like something closer to contemporary. Could anyone suggest a late 20thC/ 21st C British novel appropriate for teens?

(If not, I may squeeze in something else earlier in the year, and push Lewis to the end).

I'm thinking Salmon Rushdie - Midnight's Children. My ds and I read Ken Follet Pillars of the Earth simply because I wanted something big and descriptive to follow all of the Dickens we had read. It had nice symmetry for us. You might want to look at Ian McEwan to see if you think his books are appropriate - Atonement seems in my mind as a follow up to Lewis. If you did any reading in colonialism, then something by V.S.Naipaul my be fitting, I haven't read Bend in the River yet, but it is on my list.

If those are too contemporary, did you read any Orwell? How about Ian Flemming? And don't forget about Rondald Dahl; he wrote some non-fiction and a couple of adult fiction in addition to his children's fiction. How many authors are also WWII flying aces?

Lord of the Flies is often taught, but it doesn't fit your idea of optimism! Atonement is a wonderful novel, but it's historical, which again might not be what you want - it's almost entirely set in the 1930s/40s. Remains of the Day is also great, but also set in the 1930s.

You might like to look at another Ian McEwan: Saturday. It's a reflection on 9/11, Iraq, personal responsibility, societal responsibility.... I don't find it too depressing, but it's definitely thought provoking. There's a synopsis (with spoilers) here.

Laura

You might do Bridget Jones' Diary, particularly if you've done any Jane Austen.

I'm probably the odd one out on this, but I started reading Bridget Jones' Diary yesterday and I'm not sure I'll finish it. It's funny at first, but gets old fast.

ETA: Oh, I would have been really bothered by the language in high school.

How about Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? I think Douglas Adam's has had a great impact and it would end the course on a light (both in ease of reading and in humor!), though I think thought-provoking note.

:iagree: We read the entire series in a graduate class on modern British Lit, and the professor did a wonderful job of using those novels to illustrate the themes of all modern British lit. It was a great class, and those novels remain favorites of mine.

:iagree: We read the entire series in a graduate class on modern British Lit, and the professor did a wonderful job of using those novels to illustrate the themes of all modern British lit. It was a great class, and those novels remain favorites of mine.

Yes, I find those exceedingly funny...but I'd probably need help seeing where they illustrate modern British lit themes. Can you offer any ideas?

I'm thinking Salmon Rushdie - Midnight's Children. My ds and I read Ken Follet Pillars of the Earth simply because I wanted something big and descriptive to follow all of the Dickens we had read. It had nice symmetry for us.

I haven't read Midnight's Children--are you saying that would be more "upbeat" than The Children of Men?

I have read Pillars of the Earth and I consider the graphic sexuality inappropriate for high school students.

Love Terry Pratchett!! But not sure how I'd fit his work into the course in terms of any thematic connections, etc. I haven't read enough of his work to bring anything readily to mind. Any ideas?

I have consulted my 17 year old son, a Terry Pratchett fan, for his recommendation. He admits that Pratchett might offend some--how sensitive is the group? Ages?

Pratchett pokes fun at stereotypes. If he is taken literally, one might be insulted.

By the way, my son has chimed in agreement with the selection of Hitchhiker's Guide.

Jane