Menu

Help! Pencil Hold Problems

CourtneySue

My son is confusing his pencil hold with his violin bow hold. He used to have a very natural textbook hold. But, about a month ago, he started holding his pencil the same way he holds his violin bow. I tried holding my pencil in the same way to see how it would feel long term, and it's painful!

He's only four, but I always read moms on here saying to fix these problems early before they set in. We don't do a lot of writing, but he loves his Rod and Staff preschool books, which are mostly writing. He asks to do them.

I'm open to any suggestions for how to correct this.

Thanks for any help!

I couldn't convince my 5yo DS to hold the pencil properly (after all, what does Mom know? :lol:). Then I noticed a picture showing the correct grip in the front of his Kumon workbook. He looked at it and changed his grip to match. (He also remembers where the image is, I've seen him refer to it since then.)

HTH

My ds doesn't play the violin, but used to hold his pencil with the same grip. I ordered 3 different grips from RR and let him choose. It worked great. He only used them for about a month and then he decided he didn't need them anymore. He holds his pencil perfectly. The one that he chose was The Pencil Grip. I was really surprised by how well a grip worked. I'm glad that I have a grip buffet for my 3yo to choose from when the time comes.

What worked for us was to give them a very small piece of chalk (less than 1/2" long) and a slate, and let them write or draw. When the chalk is that small, it is impossible to hold it any way other than correctly. Their pencil holds have been perfect since we did this. I don't remember how long it took, sorry, but this idea came from Handwriting Without Tears.

What worked for us was to give them a very small piece of chalk (less than 1/2" long) and a slate, and let them write or draw. When the chalk is that small, it is impossible to hold it any way other than correctly. Their pencil holds have been perfect since we did this. I don't remember how long it took, sorry, but this idea came from Handwriting Without Tears.

I have to second this idea. We have already implemented this and have had success. I took the idea from HWT. My dd has held the chalk or crayon accurately each time when she picks up the broken piece. I have yet to see her grasp any of the small pieces wrong. Also, golf pencils work well.

I am hopeful The Claw will help in holding regular items.

Hi,

I am a licensed educational therapist, former teacher and principal and now homeschooler of my high school granddaughter. As a therapist in the school I was principal, I monitored the K4-2 grader's pencil gripe in the first quarter of school. I also did routine inservice for the teacher about once a year on proper pencil grip. I have some suggestions that may have been offered before but I am new to this forum so please excuse if these are redundant.

1. Short pencils can not be held incorrectly-we used short or the broken crayons in kindergarten and shorter than golf pencils for older children to help them get the feel of the right grip.

2. Pencil grips are great if they will use them. My favorite is called "The Pencil Grip" and it is big and squishy and is the one in the picture of the second or third link posted on this thread. I am not familiar with "The Claw" but it looks like it would definitely work if you can get the student to actually use it. "The Claw" would also remedy the problem with the chronic finger wrapper.

3. Pencil grip is very important. Some experts believe the pencil grip is one of the early signs of learning differences in the student. I would tend to agree, since the students I do therapy with usually have a poor pencil grip.

4. Also, you write in your brain as well as on the paper. Incorrect pencil grip produces writing fatigue, callouses, and later on arthritis. In a younger student, K4 age, it may indicate lack of finel motor development and there are exercises that can help with that. I taught my students to use their large muscle movement by writing with their shoulder not their wrist. It takes some practice of exagerated movement and air writing but the neurological imprint is greater on the brain with the large muscles than the small. Thus, writing on a white board or chalkboard produces more learning from writing than writing on paper because of the different muscle goups used. Writing is the chief kinesthetic learning method in all classrooms.

I could go on and on. I hope this is helpful.

Carolyn

Georgia On My Mind