Menu

Ebay question - how do you know what price is reasonable?

I have something I'd like to list on ebay to generate some much needed homeschooling funds. I checked ebay and there is not one like it listed currently or in completed items. I googled the item and found that it is rare and is considered an "original" so I don't want to begin the bidding too low and end up selling something for a song for which I could have gotten a significant amount of money, kwim? Also, I don't have a whole lot around here to sell that's worth all that much so really need to make sure I get at least close to what the item is worth.

I could set a reserve price, but I have no idea how much the thing is worth since I can't find one anywhere that has been sold. If I set the reserve too high, then I might price the item out of selling it altogether and I don't want to waste time doing that.

Any ideas?

Perhaps you could post on the ebay forums asking for suggestions. They have separate forums for certain things (such as clothing, antiques, etc.). I'm not sure what type of item you are selling, but you should look there & ask for the opinions of those there as well.

Just a thought. Good luck selling!

Perhaps you could post on the ebay forums asking for suggestions. They have separate forums for certain things (such as clothing, antiques, etc.). I'm not sure what type of item you are selling, but you should look there & ask for the opinions of those there as well.

Just a thought. Good luck selling!

I am so NOT ebay savvy. I didn't know they had forums. Thanks!

I would never set a reserve price. A person could bid higher than the reserve, but unless there is another person that bids higher than the reserve, your item can't be won. In other words, there must be 2 people that bid higher than the reserve amount for anyone to win the auction.

We have tried many time to buy something that had a reserve and would have been willing to buy the item at the reserved price, but lost the bid because no one else bid high enough to match the reserve price.

I would suggest you set a starting price with the very minimum that you would be willing to sell the item.

I would never set a reserve price. A person could bid higher than the reserve, but unless there is another person that bids higher than the reserve, your item can't be won. In other words, there must be 2 people that bid higher than the reserve amount for anyone to win the auction.

We have tried many time to buy something that had a reserve and would have been willing to buy the item at the reserved price, but lost the bid because no one else bid high enough to match the reserve price.

I would suggest you set a starting price with the very minimum that you would be willing to sell the item.

I thought one person could just keep rebidding until they reached the reserve price regardless if anyone else bid or not. Hmmm....

I thought one person could just keep rebidding until they reached the reserve price regardless if anyone else bid or not. Hmmm....

No. I'm not sure why ebay even has a reserve option. So many items are not won because of this option.

Let me give an example the product has a reserve of $50, the starting bid is $1.

Buyer A bids $60 ($10 over the reserve)-buyer A's bid shows up as a $1

Buyer B bids $30-now the bid is raised to $31

Buyer B raises his bid to $35- the bid is now raised to $36

Buyer B stops bidding. The bid ends and nobody wins. Even though buyer A bid over the reserve amount, buyer A didn't win because buyer B didn't meet the reserve.

The reserve amount is not shown to the bidders. Buyer A or B had no way of knowing that the reserve was $60.

If you had placed a starting bid at $60, buyer A could have won the item.

Does that make sense?

Tabrett, I totally "get" it and had never even thought that something like that might happen. However, can't you raise your bid, without making it your highest possible bid. IOW, isn't there a different way to raise your bid where it DOES show up as 60 and not as one above the most recent bid? I thought you could do that...

Kathleen, try a few internet searches in ask.com or google and see what the going price is elsewhere. Then you could price accordingly :)

Not in the least! What kind of ridiculous policy is THAT? :confused: It just makes no sense at all!

I know, its crazy. The only reason I can figure out the reason for having a starting bid at $1 if your reserve is $60, is you have a lower insertion fee?

If I wanted a certain price for an item, I would never, ever put a reserve on the item. I would just start my bid at my lowest acceptable price. That way, If someone was willing to but the item, the bid could be won.

Tabrett, I totally "get" it and had never even thought that something like that might happen. However, can't you raise your bid, without making it your highest possible bid. IOW, isn't there a different way to raise your bid where it DOES show up as 60 and not as one above the most recent bid? I thought you could do that...

Kathleen, try a few internet searches in ask.com or google and see what the going price is elsewhere. Then you could price accordingly :)

You can't. The only way a bid is raised is if someone out bids you. If the starting bid is a $1, and you bid $150, it will show up as a $1 and you are the current highest bidder. You bid will automatically be raised every time someone bids until you are out bid.

I know, its crazy. The only reason I can figure out the reason for having a starting bid at $1 if your reserve is $60, is you have a lower insertion fee?

If I wanted a certain price for an item, I would never, ever put a reserve on the item. I would just start my bid at my lowest acceptable price. That way, If someone was willing to but the item, the bid could be won.

Oh! You know, I misread your post explaining why the item wouldn't be sold at the reserve price. I see how that would happen now, and yes, it does make more sense. Whew! I was so confused at what seemed to be a really terrible business practice!

I can see why you might start a bid at a very low price though. It's a gamble either way--either you're gambling that your item won't sell because of the reserve, or you're gambling that people will be turned off by the higher starting price. I know that in the past, I've had a set limit in mind for something I'm bidding on and if the start price is above it or even too close to it, I won't even bid because I want a bargain and it feels like a waste of time. I will, however, bid on an auction starting low, and a fair percentage of the time I get caught up in the frenzy and end up bidding higher than I wanted, especially if it's in those last few minutes and I'm there on the auction. Psychological warfare, I guess! And yes, I bet that the insertion fee does indeed have an impact as well.

Edited by melissel

Looked in their help section and it seems to imply that it will use your bid to meet the reserve... I'm going to go experiment, brb ;)

ETA, you're absolutely right. There is now a Yamaha V Star going for $5, but the reserve is not met and whomever set the first bid outbid me, but they didn't use the higher bid to meet the reserve.

How odd?!?

Edited by lionfamily1999

Julie,

I tried that. I found the item listed at amazon but it said there were none available and it is out of print - no price listed. It is a map of Narnia by Pauline Baynes. Here's the place that said it is rare:

http://www.thelionscall.com/merchandise/top_ten_extreme_collectibles.cfm

How do I know what to ask for it or begin bidding at if I can't find one that's been sold or is listed for sale somewhere? Only a potential collector would know for how much they'd be willing to buy it. I guess I could try a high opening price and if it doesn't get any bids I could relist it. That would probably be the safest bet for me, but then again, I think a high beginning price would put some buyers off. AACCKK!!

I have so few things that are actually valuable and I really need to get the max out of this thing.

Kathleen, I'm going to do some digging and see what I can come up with. Something like that, you don't want to part with it lightly.

Hold tight, let me look and I'll get back to you in a jiff :)

ETA, I emailed this person:

Edwin W. Brown

ewbindy@aol.com

t: 317.257.7454

f: 317.257.7455

(collector of rare C. S. Lewis books and other material)

Still looking, but you're right, this is HARD to find.

Edited by lionfamily1999

Julie,

I tried that. I found the item listed at amazon but it said there were none available and it is out of print - no price listed. It is a map of Narnia by Pauline Baynes. Here's the place that said it is rare:

http://www.thelionscall.com/merchandise/top_ten_extreme_collectibles.cfm

How do I know what to ask for it or begin bidding at if I can't find one that's been sold or is listed for sale somewhere? Only a potential collector would know for how much they'd be willing to buy it. I guess I could try a high opening price and if it doesn't get any bids I could relist it. That would probably be the safest bet for me, but then again, I think a high beginning price would put some buyers off. AACCKK!!

I have so few things that are actually valuable and I really need to get the max out of this thing.

Oh. My. Goodness. If I were you, I would send it over here, straight away! :lol:

No, seriously. That's a biggie. Do you live near a city? I would first take it to several collector-type and find out what they think it's worth. I'd consider it time well spent. I'd also keep watching on eBay to see if any come up and what they sell for. I don't think this is something I'd move quickly on at all.

What a treasure to have in your possession.

Oh. My. Goodness. If I were you, I would send it over here, straight away! :lol:

No, seriously. That's a biggie. Do you live near a city? I would first take it to several collector-type and find out what they think it's worth. I'd consider it time well spent. I'd also keep watching on eBay to see if any come up and what they sell for. I don't think this is something I'd move quickly on at all.

What a treasure to have in your possession.

:lol::lol: You crack me up!

I do live relatively close to Washington, D.C. I wouldn't know where to start on this. I once found a first edition, first impression of Anne of Green Gables (it was printed in April 1908 -) that I found a buyer for. When I showed it to her she went on and on about the poor condition (it was almost 100 years old for crying out loud) and how it was missing the first page (blank) and offered me $1000 for it. I was desperate so I took it. I saw one like listed at abebooks.com for $40,000. There's one like it there now listed for $24,750. Of course, who knows if anyone will ever buy it for that much. But still, I probably could have gotten more than $1000 if I'd been more careful. Oh, well. Spilt milk and all that. I just don't want to make another mistake on this one.

It used to be this way. I distinctly remember bidding until the reserve was met. I wonder why they would change that? :001_huh:

Personally, I like the "buy it now, or best offer" option...

In an attempt to explain the process that is confusing everyone (and I'm only about 80% sure that this is right, as it has been a while since I sold on ebay):

If you put a reserve on your item, and a buyer bids your reserve amount or above, the bidding still goes as usual, like someone else pointed out (the $1, $31, $36 example)

- but, there is a way to get around that...

if there is a "buy it now" option listed, the bid will automatically go to the reserve price.

For example, you set a reserve at $150, starting bid is $1 (to keep the insertion fee down), but you have an "or buy it now" price of $200. The bidding will go on as usual until someone bids at or above your reserve price. When this happens, the "buy it now" option will disappear and the high bid will be go to $150 (or whatever your reserve price is), ensuring that you get at least that amount.

Does that make any sense????

Again, it's been a while, so I might be getting this wrong.

:lol::lol: You crack me up!

I do live relatively close to Washington, D.C. I wouldn't know where to start on this. I once found a first edition, first impression of Anne of Green Gables (it was printed in April 1908 -) that I found a buyer for. When I showed it to her she went on and on about the poor condition (it was almost 100 years old for crying out loud) and how it was missing the first page (blank) and offered me $1000 for it. I was desperate so I took it. I saw one like listed at abebooks.com for $40,000. There's one like it there now listed for $24,750. Of course, who knows if anyone will ever buy it for that much. But still, I probably could have gotten more than $1000 if I'd been more careful. Oh, well. Spilt milk and all that. I just don't want to make another mistake on this one.

:eek::eek::eek::eek: Woman, what book sales are you shopping? I have to know. I'm only in NJ. I'll be right down!

And oh, I'm :crying: for you over that Anne of Green Gables. I don't think I could have let it go at any price; it's one of my all-time favorite books (being a fiery, impetuous redhead myself, of course ;)). OK, well, maybe for $40K...

About the map, I'd get online and pull up a list of rare/antique book dealers in D.C., and then spend a day visiting a few. Maybe call them first and ask if they'll take a look at it for you. But get a range of opinions, so you're not taken in by a scam artist like that other woman (so wrong!). Seriously, unless I was desperately in need of the money right away, I'd take my time on this one. It really does not seem to be available anywhere else!

Okay, prints for her work are pricey, leading me to believe you have a very expensive piece of art on your hands. I'm scoffing at the idea of selling this on Ebay (scoff, scoff). I would recommend a trip to DC to either an art dealer or an antiques dealer. I'm not sure which. I'm trying to see if the Smithsonian does anything like this, appraising or validating pieces of art.

If you were further down here I would recommend a trip to the VCU art dept, to talk to a proffessor there. They would, at least, have an idea of what you've got.

:grouphug: I wish I could be more help, but things like this are still not so easy to do online. I have some first edition and second edition Dickens books that I love, but wish I could find a better home for. It kills me that they are just rotting away, but I don't know the first thing to do with them :(

Adam A. Weschler & Son, Inc.

909 E Street, NWWashington, D.C. 20004

Tel: 202.628.1281 Fax: 202.628.2366 Toll free: 1.800.331.1430

Email: info@weschlers.com

Second Story Books

Appraisal Services

PERSONAL PROPERTY APPRAISAL SERVICES

Allan J. Stypeck, Jr. is an accredited Senior Member of the American Society of Appraisers, specializing in all printed material, including books, manuscripts, archival papers, graphics and memorabilia. With more than 30 years of experience, Mr. Stypeck has prepared thousands of appraisals of personal property, including, in addition to printed matter, fine art, antiquities, Oriental art and objets d’art for individuals and corporations, government and private institutions, as well as colleges and universities throughout North America.

Please take a look at the link provided here, which lists some of the more interesting appraisals Mr. Stypeck has prepared over the past 15 years. This list is updated regularly. You are also invited to review Mr. Stypeck’s CV by clicking here.

Mr. Stypeck prepares personal property appraisals for the following purposes: donation, estate tax, sale, insurance and damage claims. Appraisal fees available upon request.

Appraisal inquiries can be made either by phone, mail or email.

Phone: (301) 770-0477 ext. 13

Mail: Allan Stypeck

Second Story Books

12160 Parklawn Dr.

Rockville, MD 20852

Email: <A href="mailto:research@secondstorybooks.com">research@secondstorybooks.com

>> Allan Stypeck CV

>> Highlights of Appraisals Prepared by Allan Stypeck

Edited by lionfamily1999

It used to be this way. I distinctly remember bidding until the reserve was met. I wonder why they would change that? :001_huh:

Maybe to discourage people from bidding in small increments trying to find the reserve rather than just posting their highest offers and taking their chances? It's the only reason I could imagine, though I wonder how fruitful such a policy change would actually be. I don't tend to bid on things that would have reserves--I'm more in the "low-priced lot of last year's Gymboree" crowd :D

:eek::eek::eek::eek: Woman, what book sales are you shopping? I have to know. I'm only in NJ. I'll be right down!

And oh, I'm :crying: for you over that Anne of Green Gables. I don't think I could have let it go at any price; it's one of my all-time favorite books (being a fiery, impetuous redhead myself, of course ;)). OK, well, maybe for $40K...

About the map, I'd get online and pull up a list of rare/antique book dealers in D.C., and then spend a day visiting a few. Maybe call them first and ask if they'll take a look at it for you. But get a range of opinions, so you're not taken in by a scam artist like that other woman (so wrong!). Seriously, unless I was desperately in need of the money right away, I'd take my time on this one. It really does not seem to be available anywhere else!

I actually found the Anne of Green Gables book at a local library book sale. It was on the floor being kicked around.:ack2: No one seemed interested because it wasn't all shiny and new. I recognized the cover from the Anne of Green Gables Treasury book I own. I had no idea what it was worth. You know, my bag was already full at that point and I seriously considered not buying it for the whopping price of $1 because I didn't think I should spend the money on a book I already owned (paperback version, of course). That's one of those once in a lifetime deals, ya know?

The map is just a poster type print that MacMillan published in 1972. I think I bought it at a bookstore or something. One of the advantages of getting old is stuff you bought for fun as a teenager can actually become valuable.:D It's not an actual painting or anything - just a paper map. I had it laminated at our local teacher supply store about ten years ago because I feared for its life. Not sure what that did to its value.

Okay, prints for her work are pricey, leading me to believe you have a very expensive piece of art on your hands. I'm scoffing at the idea of selling this on Ebay (scoff, scoff). I would recommend a trip to DC to either an art dealer or an antiques dealer. I'm not sure which. I'm trying to see if the Smithsonian does anything like this, appraising or validating pieces of art.

If you were further down here I would recommend a trip to the VCU art dept, to talk to a proffessor there. They would, at least, have an idea of what you've got.

:grouphug: I wish I could be more help, but things like this are still not so easy to do online. I have some first edition and second edition Dickens books that I love, but wish I could find a better home for. It kills me that they are just rotting away, but I don't know the first thing to do with them :(

Adam A. Weschler & Son, Inc.

909 E Street, NWWashington, D.C. 20004

Tel: 202.628.1281 Fax: 202.628.2366 Toll free: 1.800.331.1430

Email: info@weschlers.com

Second Story Books

Appraisal Services

PERSONAL PROPERTY APPRAISAL SERVICES

Allan J. Stypeck, Jr. is an accredited Senior Member of the American Society of Appraisers, specializing in all printed material, including books, manuscripts, archival papers, graphics and memorabilia. With more than 30 years of experience, Mr. Stypeck has prepared thousands of appraisals of personal property, including, in addition to printed matter, fine art, antiquities, Oriental art and objets d’art for individuals and corporations, government and private institutions, as well as colleges and universities throughout North America.

Please take a look at the link provided here, which lists some of the more interesting appraisals Mr. Stypeck has prepared over the past 15 years. This list is updated regularly. You are also invited to review Mr. Stypeck’s CV by clicking here.

Mr. Stypeck prepares personal property appraisals for the following purposes: donation, estate tax, sale, insurance and damage claims. Appraisal fees available upon request.

Appraisal inquiries can be made either by phone, mail or email.

Phone: (301) 770-0477 ext. 13

Mail: Allan Stypeck

Second Story Books

12160 Parklawn Dr.

Rockville, MD 20852

Email: <A href="mailto:research@secondstorybooks.com">research@secondstorybooks.com

>> Allan Stypeck CV

>> Highlights of Appraisals Prepared by Allan Stypeck

Wow, thanks, Julie! Now that you've actually done some of the footwork for me I may actually do this. I'm just concerned that it's going to cost something and I am at a financial point right now where there's nothing in the coffers to invest in this. I'm definitely copying and pasting this info into a text document for reference though. Thanks so much!!

Wow, thanks, Julie! Now that you've actually done some of the footwork for me I may actually do this. I'm just concerned that it's going to cost something and I am at a financial point right now where there's nothing in the coffers to invest in this. I'm definitely copying and pasting this info into a text document for reference though. Thanks so much!!

It wouldn't hurt to call.

It's not an original, but both places deal in antique books and I think they could give you a good idea, if not actually buy it from you. What I meant was, the prints they are making now are pricey.

I hope this works out well for you. I may call these fellas myself and see what they say about my Dickens books. At least I could give them to someone that would take care of them. It kills me to see them rotting and I can't imagine selling them and risking them ending up kicked around the floor like you Anne of Green Gables.

You might try looking at some of the rare book stores online, especially those that specialize in Tolkien/Lewis.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/iHaveAnInkling

http://rarelibrary.com/index.php?keywords=Pauline+Baynes&pagetype=basicsearch

http://www.tolkienguide.com/search.php?query=pauline+baynes&action=results

That last link has a short discussion on a first impression Tolkien map by the same illustrator:

http://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1031&forum=10&post_id=4932#forumpost4932

You might try looking at some of the rare book stores online, especially those that specialize in Tolkien/Lewis.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/iHaveAnInkling

http://rarelibrary.com/index.php?keywords=Pauline+Baynes&pagetype=basicsearch

http://www.tolkienguide.com/search.php?query=pauline+baynes&action=results

That last link has a short discussion on a first impression Tolkien map by the same illustrator:

http://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1031&forum=10&post_id=4932#forumpost4932

Thanks for these - I've been perusing them. I had no idea there was such a market for this stuff. Very interesting.

My map looks very much like the map of Middle Earth in the last link, but is, of course, of Narnia. Mine is laminated which I think will probably take away from the value somewhat. Anyway, thanks for searching these out for me.:)

Check to see what the item has sold for previously.

In the search box, type in your item, not too specific but what someone wanting to buy the item would type in.

example: your item is Saxon Math grade 1 complete set. Just type in

Saxon Math

then, over to the left hand side there is a column of a bunch of additional choices....one is "completed listings." Click this box. It will ask you to log in. Once you log in it will show you completed listing for this item. You can see what sold for what. You can see the differences between the items.

Then you know what you can reasonably ask or expect for your item.

I hate waiting for auctions, so I usually see what the item sold for then post the item as a

"Buy IT Now" for slightly less than highest price I see. Its worth it to me now have to wait for my auction to end. This appeals to impulse shoppers, (like me) as well.