Menu

What type of paper worked best for your student?

ElizabethB

What paper worked best for your student?  

1. 1. What paper worked best for your student?

• Big paper-K/1st
    • Small paper-2nd/3rd
    • 2 line paper like HWT
    • Wide lined notebook paper
    • Narrow lined notebook paper
    • I make my own
    • Other

I voted other. It really depends on the child. My oldest didn't do well with penmanship until we got him into HWT. My middle child (dd) can print beautifully on any size paper we give her. She's very artistic so it seems that for her penmanship is art, not a chore like her older brother.

Not sure what will become of my youngest. He's just learning how to trace lines and color instead of scribble.

We only use the big lines when first learning to write letters. (so pre-k to k). After that I make up handwriting pages for them with the startwrite software and we work our way down to wide ruled looseleaf paper by 2nd/3rd grade depending on when they are ready.

I voted 2/3 lined paper but that was taking into account the ages of your kids. None of my four have done well with the big lines--even in the beginning. (My current first grader says the lines are too big in WWE level 1--and he's not yet six. He's doing ok with it though but we will probably be buying the newer student pages for level 2.)

For absolute beginners, I used UN lined paper until they could form the letters then moved onto paper that did not require them to move their wrists when writing.

We use unlined for all of our work at all grades. :)

I almost considered making unlined a choice! But, I knew I would need an other anyway, there is always someone doing something you hadn't though about as a choice. And, I meant to make it possible to pick more than one choice, but had not had enough coffee yet when I posted the choices and I can't seem figure out a way to change the poll after the fact.

Everyone's replies are interesting. I'm wondering now about the big paper, it looks like it's not a big winner among people who are trying different things in an out of the box way! Maybe it's one of those educational theory things that has little basis in how actually children work and learn but just keeps going, and going and going.

My dd hated big paper. She balked at writing and writing programs for years. Last year, I ditched it all in favor of her writing in her best writing on tiny lines with a pencil to start with then with a fountain pen for cursive. She loved it. She now has beautiful handwriting. No more big paper for us, ever.

My dd hated big paper. She balked at writing and writing programs for years. Last year, I ditched it all in favor of her writing in her best writing on tiny lines with a pencil to start with then with a fountain pen for cursive. She loved it. She now has beautiful handwriting. No more big paper for us, ever.

I might try a fountain pen. What was the type everyone liked?