Menu

Rod and Staff 5th Grd Mth

Thanksnpraises

I will be using Rod and Staff Math for 1st grd and 5th grd. I was reading through the 5th grd teacher's manual and it mentioned using "folded paper" for some of the problems. I didn't understand what they meant by this. Does anyone use folded paper in the way the manual states? Does the paper stay neat? My son is already challenged in keeping his papers neat and orderly.:) I think the idea is that for some of the problems you can just write the answers. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, I've used R&S grammar for several years. I like it alot. THis year I will be using BRNS (1st), math (1st and 5th), reading (5th grd), spelling and Bible (5th and 7th), and perhaps the art (1st, 5th and 7th). Does anyone have any thoughts or tips on implementing those R&S subjects? Thanks so much!:001_smile:

I've heard Ellie on this board talk about folding a piece of paper so her dc could just write the answers for R&S. I haven't wanted to do that because I'm sure my son's work would like like a crumpled piece of trash by the time he was through. He has a hard enough time keeping his work looking neat as it is.

How I wish R&S would offer their materials in a workbook format at least through 6th grade! I love the program, but it would be even a better fit for us if there was a workbook.

Lisa

I used to do this in school.

You fold the notebook paper on a line and hold it on the page just below a row of problems and just write the answers.

You don't do this for word problems. So the drill would be on paper all folded up, but the paper with the word problems can be all neat and tidy.

How I wish R&S would offer their materials in a workbook format at least through 6th grade! I love the program, but it would be even a better fit for us if there was a workbook.

Lisa

I didn't do the folded paper thing but for 4th grade (our first year using R&S math) I let ds write in the text like it was a workbook. I figured the text was cheap enough and if we didn't do every problem there was usually enough space to work out the answers. But in 5th and up the solutions take more space so he used a spiral notebook.

Cinder

I actually removed the spine of our R&S 4 Math book and then took the pages and copied them all at 115% so there would be enough space for my son to write on. For R&S 3, all I had to do was tear the pages out of the book and there was plenty of room for the answers.

I am planning on just having him write all the answers out on notebook paper for 5th, but this year it is still taking him 45 minutes to do his math even though he is able to write most of the answers right on the page. That is a huge jump from how long it took him last year, so we're trying to ease into it.

Crazy, huh?

Lisa

I only have one homeschooled student, so I have more time on my hands than you do (LOL), but up until this year I *made* math worksheets for her by copying the problems onto lined paper. I always left plenty of room for her to show her work.

This freed up her time and concentration for actually solving the problems. The Rod & Staff Math problems get more numerous and more complex as you go along, and I wanted to be a wise scheduler of her time. Now that she's in seventh grade and doing algebra, she's writing out her own problems.