Menu

Is anyone using Singapore beyond the Primary series??

Ibbygirl

If so what are you using and how do you like it?? How does the program change once you get out of the Primary grades?? Are you planning on sticking with Singapore through High School or are you going to be using something else? Thanks to all who reply. :)

I plan to use the first year of Discovering Mathematics for 7th, then move to a more "traditional" US sequence - should be Algebra in 8th (I'm thinking Foersters and LOF)

I'm in the same boat. I chose NEM for 7th, but I haven't heard many people continuing with Singapore all the way so I was wondering if anybody does. It seems that people switch programs in the higher grades. Just perusing the NEM book it looks pretty daunting. I hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew. :eek:

My rising 8th grader will try DM1 this year, alongside LoF Beginning Algebra. We start in late September. I really, really like Singapore, and want to continue with it, but ds really loves Fred, and I can't decide, so here we are. I'm hoping that doing both will not be too much work for him.

I'm probably going to consider LoF as the main program and DM as the supplement, so we won't do all the problems in DM, and I am not ordering the workbook, only the main text and TM. (there are problems to work in the main text; the workbook contains additional problems to work) I do like the idea of using an U.S. sequenced upper math, in case he has to go into ps and for PSAT/SAT taking purposes, and LoF will suit that purpose. But I love the way Singapore has the upper math topics integrated across all the levels. If it works well, he will continue to do both through high school.

If the only Singapore option was NEM, I probably wouldn't try it, though. I'm only going on with DM because it has TGs with solutions, and I think some teaching hints (?) to all problems for all levels.

According to something I read somewhere (perhaps on the Singapore forums?), DM is the most like the Primary series in presentation of topics. I understand it to be rigorous, but a little easier to handle than NEM.

My #2 dc will most likely not use DM or any other Singapore upper math series. I am not sure what I will use with her, but it will most likely be some American program or another. Oh, and she won't begin until 9th grade, two years away.

My rising 8th grader will try DM1 this year, alongside LoF Beginning Algebra. We start in late September. I really, really like Singapore, and want to continue with it, but ds really loves Fred, and I can't decide, so here we are. I'm hoping that doing both will not be too much work for him.

I'm probably going to consider LoF as the main program and DM as the supplement, so we won't do all the problems in DM, and I am not ordering the workbook, only the main text and TM. (there are problems to work in the main text; the workbook contains additional problems to work) I do like the idea of using an U.S. sequenced upper math, in case he has to go into ps and for PSAT/SAT taking purposes, and LoF will suit that purpose. But I love the way Singapore has the upper math topics integrated across all the levels. If it works well, he will continue to do both through high school.

If the only Singapore option was NEM, I probably wouldn't try it, though. I'm only going on with DM because it has TGs with solutions, and I think some teaching hints (?) to all problems for all levels.

According to something I read somewhere (perhaps on the Singapore forums?), DM is the most like the Primary series in presentation of topics. I understand it to be rigorous, but a little easier to handle than NEM.

My #2 dc will most likely not use DM or any other Singapore upper math series. I am not sure what I will use with her, but it will most likely be some American program or another. Oh, and she won't begin until 9th grade, two years away.

Thank you for your reply. I'm using LOF too! :) But as a supplement though. Gosh, now I'm really nervous about the NEM. Neither my dd nor I are mathy people. I am going to try to do the first week of lessons in NEM for myself and see how tough it is and how useful the Solutions manual is. Hopefully we'll be alright, if not I'll probably have to switch to DM too.

Thanks for the input ladies. :)

We are almost done with the Primary series. My son just completed 6A this summer. We will take a break and start 6B. About January, he will start New Elementary Mathematics 1. I purchased the book. I have looked at it. It is very different from the Primary Mathematics series. I will go slowly with him. Since I have him ahead, I will go slowly with the program until we grasp this math.

I am not dropping off from Singapore. I will continue in New Elementary Math.

Blessings in your homeschooling journey.

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I'm probably going to consider LoF as the main program and DM as the supplement, so we won't do all the problems in DM, and I am not ordering the workbook, only the main text and TM. (there are problems to work in the main text; the workbook contains additional problems to work)

Well, :cursing: . When did they add a workbook? There was no workbook when I ordered. I just re-looked at my TMs, and there's no workbook mentioned in any of the week-by-week lesson plans or referenced as a resource anywhere! I ordered 2 texts so each of my twins could have their own to copy problems from (there are problems to work independently at the end of every chapter - different from the Primary series).

Where's the emoticon for fingers in the ears and singing la-la-la-la? That workbook looks like it has twice the problems to work as the text. The TM doesn't reference it. I'm going to think of the workbook as "Extra Practice" (ie optional) unless someone hits me upside the head and tells me otherwise. :glare:

Well, :cursing: . When did they add a workbook? There was no workbook when I ordered. I just re-looked at my TMs, and there's no workbook mentioned in any of the week-by-week lesson plans or referenced as a resource anywhere! I ordered 2 texts so each of my twins could have their own to copy problems from (there are problems to work independently at the end of every chapter - different from the Primary series).

Where's the emoticon for fingers in the ears and singing la-la-la-la? That workbook looks like it has twice the problems to work as the text. The TM doesn't reference it. I'm going to think of the workbook as "Extra Practice" (ie optional) unless someone hits me upside the head and tells me otherwise. :glare:

Wow! I ordered mine as a bundle it came with the student text, quick revision guide, teacher's solutions manual and the student workbook. I have also seen bundles with all of the above except the solutions manual.

Just did a quick online search.... CBD has the workbooks for $8.60 http://www.christianbook.com/singapore-math-new-elementary-workbook-1/9789812718297/pd/085313?item_code=WW&netp_id=514653&event=ESRCN&view=covers

Edited by Ibbygirl

We are almost done with the Primary series. My son just completed 6A this summer. We will take a break and start 6B. About January, he will start New Elementary Mathematics 1. I purchased the book. I have looked at it. It is very different from the Primary Mathematics series. I will go slowly with him. Since I have him ahead, I will go slowly with the program until we grasp this math.

I am not dropping off from Singapore. I will continue in New Elementary Math.

Blessings in your homeschooling journey.

Sincerely,

Karen

www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Thank you. And blessings to you as well. Yes it is very different from the Primary series. My dd likes the look of it though. She says it's like a comic book. :p It looks like they already get into Algebra in this book.

Wow! I ordered mine as a bundle it came with the student text, quick revision guide, teacher's solutions manual and the student workbook. I have also seen bundles with all of the above except the solutions manual.

Just did a quick online search.... CBD has the workbooks for $8.60 http://www.christianbook.com/singapore-math-new-elementary-workbook-1/9789812718297/pd/085313?item_code=WW&netp_id=514653&event=ESRCN&view=covers

No, you misunderstand me. :001_smile: I have DM, not NEM. I knew NEM has a workbook - but when they added DM to the Singapore site earlier this year it didn't - just text and TM. There's also no quick revision guide that I know of (unless they're going to throw me another curve adding yet more books to the series later... :glare:)

If they're going to have a workbook, then they should schedule it in the TM, or I'm going to consider it extra (la-la-la-la-la :D)

No, you misunderstand me. :001_smile: I have DM, not NEM. I knew NEM has a workbook - but when they added DM to the Singapore site earlier this year it didn't - just text and TM. There's also no quick revision guide that I know of (unless they're going to throw me another curve adding yet more books to the series later... :glare:)

If they're going to have a workbook, then they should schedule it in the TM, or I'm going to consider it extra (la-la-la-la-la :D)

LOL my bad. I thought you were talking about NEM. :blushing:

If so what are you using and how do you like it?? How does the program change once you get out of the Primary grades?? Are you planning on sticking with Singapore through High School or are you going to be using something else? Thanks to all who reply. :)

I really like it -- I've not found it as hard to teach as people say (but beware of those first four chapters! It's actually much easier after you get through that gauntlet of review....) And we split the first two books into Algebra and Geometry chapters, to better match the US sequence. We've done Algebra (year before last), took a year off to do Statistics, and now we're back with NEM for Geometry this year.

There was a related thread on the High School Board pretty recently.

or I'm going to consider it extra (la-la-la-la-la :D)

Yes, it is extra. :) The text and teacher's manual contain everything you need, and the workbook (available just a few months ago) contains ADDITIONAL problems for those who need it. In my not-very-experienced-but-very-opinionated opinion, there are PLENTY of problems in the text itself! :)

Yes, it is extra. :) The text and teacher's manual contain everything you need, and the workbook (available just a few months ago) contains ADDITIONAL problems for those who need it. In my not-very-experienced-but-very-opinionated opinion, there are PLENTY of problems in the text itself! :)

Oh, goody. That was my impression as well, but I'm glad to hear it seconded. :D

I am another who is looking at continuing with DM. I asked Jenny on the Singapore math forums and there are no plans to produce answer keys for NEM 3 and 4. It costs them more to do the work and print than they can charge for the books. There is no way I am attempting NEM without answer keys, so DM it is. That is probably better for my kids because they also are not super mathy. :D

Heather

What exactly makes people nervous about NEM? It's "hard," the sequence is different, or the lack of solutions (or all three)?

I own NEM but haven't used it. The feel I have gotten from reading a lot of threads on it has three things that make it challenging. First it will make logical leaps, second is that it doesn't provide a lot of practice and third is just the fact that Jenny had to go to the author of the series at times to figure out the answers to write the answer keys to NEM 1 and 2. :eek:

One mom said it will just sometimes drop the direct instruction. For a math intuitive child it wouldn't be a big issues because they would probably follow the flow of logic, but if you have kids who are not math intuitive (mine aren't) then you have to do some extra teaching. The Pythagorean theorem was one example she said it was introduced in one lesson but not directly taught, then suddenly the child is applying it. No one challenged her on this so I assume it was true.

Where traditional US texts will introduce a topic, have practice on that topic, then throw in a few challenging problems that apply the concept to something unrelated, NEM will jump directly to the challenging problems to make sure the child gets the base concept. It really doesn't care if the child can apply the formula in a clean environment. In fact it seems to me that NEM really doesn't care if the child knows the formula at all but instead the principles behind the formula.

Jenny from the Singapore Math forums wrote the first two answer keys. She has a post about her process, but she talks about how she had math teachers helping her, and how even then they all sometimes couldn't figure out how to solve the problem using the methods introduced and had to go to the author. They usually could find the answer using an alternative method, but not the one being taught. I am pretty good at math, so I know what would happen in NEM 3 and 4 is I would end up using the alternative methods. It kinda defeats he purpose, KWIM?

Their Developing Math series does not make the logical leaps NEM does, it does include more review material before working with challenging problems and has a full answer key written by the author. I still get the Singapore thinking and challenge, but in a way that shouldn't frustrate me and my children as much, thus we should be able to stick with it for the long haul. With NEM I am always nervous that I will end up jumping ship when I have 2-3 students working through it and have just had it with leading them through the program. :blink:

If I only had one student I would probably do NEM hands down.

Heather

I am using NEM. I have a Sophmore who is in finishing NEM 2 ( he got behind due to many factors, none related to his ability to do the work.) My 8th grader just started NEM 2. There was an adjustment in the leap from PM 6 to NEM 1, but my kids did OK with it. They have been self teaching math since about 4th grade and we work on things they find problematic. They got A's and B's on their homeworks and tests (using the 90-80-70-60 scale, not the more generous Singapore scale.) I am very please with their standardized test results.

I am concerned about NEM 3 and 4 not having a solutions manual. Although the books have the answers to the homeworks and assesments in the back and there is a teacher's manual (only has answers to the class activities and the revisions), I am nervous. Even though I have a BS in Math, I am often stumped by the more challenging problems. I guess we will be hanging out on the Singapore boards, plus supplement with another program.

Ay, I was feeling so much better after reading your comments, Erica, but then after reading Heather's I'm panicking again. I guess I'll just have to jump in and see how it goes with my dd. I really hate buying a curriculum and not being able to use it, so I will try to make the NEM work for us, but if I can't I guess I'll switch to the DM. I really like the Singapore method and want to stick with it, but I know I will have to do something other than NEM for the upper grades. there is NO WAY I can teach without a teacher's manual. I totally stink at math. It was always my worst subject and I need the support of the TM. I hope that we are able to make the leap from 6B to NEM without too many difficulties, but I have to confess, the end of 6B was pretty difficult for the both of us. :eek: