Menu

Greek Mythology beyond D'aulaire

Ali in OR

What do you use to study Greek Mythology the second or third time through? Is there a middle school or high school level source that you like? We used D'aulaire for 1st grade and dd loved it. Reads it on her own still. I'm just wondering where we go next. Do I admit that I'm reading The Lightening Thief and finding details in there that I don't remember learning? It's got me eager to read up on Greek Mythology. Thanks for any recommendations.

Wait until you finish all the Percy Jackson books. :D We are finishing "The Last Olympian" today. I've also learned a lot of mythology from them.

You could move into retellings of The Iliad and The Odyssey, there are many options, but we chose the Rosemary Sutcliffe version. Also there is The Children's Homer by Padraic Colum.

Bulfinch's mythology is another good resource that we have used for upper elementary.

It's kind of addicting isn't it?

Edith Hamilton's book Mytholgy is fantastic. It's often used in college courses (I found it at a local used book store where lots of college kids sell their books) and is a wonderful read. My then 8 yr. old daughter loved the myths and I got a lot more out of it then I expected.

I honestly don't think you could do any better.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to look into these books, maybe more for me right now!

Paula, I just finished The Lightning Thief and I'm definitely hooked! Don't know about dd. I read ch. 1 to her last night--not sure if it grabbed her or not. I think I'll keep reading it aloud to her and see if I find her picking it up on her own at some point.

dd11 just started the lightning thief and has declared it is the best book she has read in ages ; ). i'll have to have a read myself, i think....

My ds also calls them the best books ever. We've done them all as read-alouds, but I had to read through them myself first because I got so hooked.

Edith Hamilton's book Mytholgy is fantastic. It's often used in college courses (I found it at a local used book store where lots of college kids sell their books) and is a wonderful read. My then 8 yr. old daughter loved the myths and I got a lot more out of it then I expected.

I honestly don't think you could do any better.

Edith Hamilton is what my high school used. I found a used copy years ago, before I had children. I need to get a second copy for the kids so they don't tear up my lovely hardback copy. :lol: