Menu

Reformed/Presbyterian Bible Study for 4th/5th Graders???

Obviously CC.... :lol:

Can anyone recommend a good conservative Presbyterian or Reformed Bible curriculum for middle school range?

We have used Rod & Staff for several years b/c I could combine reading with a Bible study, but we are needing to change now & I haven't found anything. I am a bit at a loss on where to start. I had considered contact White Horse Inn (for ex) but thought advice would be better than blind searches.

I have 2 studies by the Hunts but they are just too elementary and spend more time on stories about the kids and not the scripture.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any advice or recommendations.:)

Obviously CC.... :lol:

Can anyone recommend a good conservative Presbyterian or Reformed Bible curriculum for middle school range?

We have used Rod & Staff for several years b/c I could combine reading with a Bible study, but we are needing to change now & I haven't found anything. I am a bit at a loss on where to start. I had considered contact White Horse Inn (for ex) but thought advice would be better than blind searches.

I have 2 studies by the Hunts but they are just too elementary and spend more time on stories about the kids and not the scripture.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any advice or recommendations.:)

You might try the Studying God's Word series from CLP. They go through the 8th grade, but I use them a level ahead. My favorite, though, is the Explorer's series. These are not Reformed, but they are not Arminian either - very non-denominational. They are very in depth - no fluff- at least in the books for older kids (I haven't used the elementary ones). My older girls are currently doing the one on Luke and Acts.

I'm about as reformed as I can be (Baptist), and I am happy using Kay Arthur's materials. I think the key is being very familiar with scripture yourself--so that *if* an issue comes up that needs to be taught a bit differently than what a particular study says, you will see it immediately and can correct it for your child. Ds 14 is doing a Precept Upon Precept with my help, and dd 9 is doing one of the Discover for Yourself. The 40 minute Bible Studys are very good too.

You could check our John MacArthur's studies--they might be good for 5th grade. Desiring God just put out a series for middle school I think (http://www.desiringgod.org)

Thanks ya'll. I just didn't see much during the convention this year & one organization is too restrictive on women for me to want to use there recommendations. Love their boy stuff, but not the girls. I wasn't sure where else to turn as I look over the catalog.... personal references & accounts are always a tremendous aid!;)

Blessings!

Have you looked into Show Me Thy Ways by Gertrude Hoeksema? There's a wierd section on Esther but otherwise it has some good stuff. I am debating whether to use that or Studying God's Word by CLP.

I would like a good solid study (my son has read through all four of Beeke's books: Bible Doctrines for younger children and Bible Doctrines for Older Children).