Menu

I'm SOO Glad I switched to Singapore! :)

DD just had her end of the year evaluation today and she went up in math 43 points!!! I figured her scores would go up some, but I never expected a jump like that! We switched from Saxon to Singapore 2 years ago when she started the 5th grade. The Saxon program is good, but it just wasn't a good fit for her and there were a lot of tears and frustration when we would do math each day. When we made the switch to Singapore, I had to start her in 4A & 4B. Since she was in 5th grade I decided to do 4A, 4B and 5A last year and this year we did 5B, 6A & 6B.

The poor kid has had to do school over summers for the last 3 years, but it was worth it. She is much less frustrated with math and her scores were through the roof. Now that she is starting Singapore's 7th grade program right on target, I hope that she will be able to take it a little easier and enjoy her summer next year. The evaluator told us that she is in the 91st percentile for all basic skills and when dd heard that, she told me that it made it all worthwhile. She left feeling a foot taller! I'm so glad that we made the switch. :) Thanks to all who read this and share the joy with me and my family.:)

Blessings,

Jennifer

Oh man, we were thinking of switching to Saxon 3 this year from CLE, which brought my child to tears! I hear it is either a love or hate math.

What do you like about Singapore? Is it Mastery or Spiral? Does the child get alot of review each day? I heard it is a harder math, so can a child who is a little slower do it?

My child is o.k. in math but it just takes her about 1/2year behind other kids to "get it". I'm sure she would be ahead of a child in the Public schools cuz they are behind more than HS children, so it seems.

Anyways, my child tested very low on the spring testing so I'm trying to find a better math that she will excel in.

Thanks for any input you can offer.

DD just had her end of the year evaluation today and she went up in math 43 points!!! I figured her scores would go up some, but I never expected a jump like that! We switched from Saxon to Singapore 2 years ago when she started the 5th grade. The Saxon program is good, but it just wasn't a good fit for her and there were a lot of tears and frustration when we would do math each day. When we made the switch to Singapore, I had to start her in 4A & 4B. Since she was in 5th grade I decided to do 4A, 4B and 5A last year and this year we did 5B, 6A & 6B.

The poor kid has had to do school over summers for the last 3 years, but it was worth it. She is much less frustrated with math and her scores were through the roof. Now that she is starting Singapore's 7th grade program right on target, I hope that she will be able to take it a little easier and enjoy her summer next year. The evaluator told us that she is in the 91st percentile for all basic skills and when dd heard that, she told me that it made it all worthwhile. She left feeling a foot taller! I'm so glad that we made the switch. :) Thanks to all who read this and share the joy with me and my family.:)

Blessings,

Jennifer

That's fabulous!

We're at the beginning of the same road. I have started my 4th grade dd in 3A and hope to also cover 3B and 4A before next fall. We switched from Rod and Staff. She's doing quite well (loves that it's a workbook).

Oh man, we were thinking of switching to Saxon 3 this year from CLE, which brought my child to tears! I hear it is either a love or hate math.

What do you like about Singapore? Is it Mastery or Spiral? Does the child get alot of review each day? I heard it is a harder math, so can a child who is a little slower do it?

My child is o.k. in math but it just takes her about 1/2year behind other kids to "get it". I'm sure she would be ahead of a child in the Public schools cuz they are behind more than HS children, so it seems.

Anyways, my child tested very low on the spring testing so I'm trying to find a better math that she will excel in.

Saxon is a solid program, but it has A LOT of practice problems which just wasn't a good fit for my ADHD and Asperger's dd. Even when I assigned just every other problem it was still too frustrating for her. A friend of mine recommended Singapore and she liked it much better right away. First, she liked the look of the book. I know that may seem arbitrary, but the way a book looks is important to her and if it's all black and white with no pictures she loses interest very quickly. She liked that the books were small, she loved the pictures of the kids and all the colors and she also liked that there were a lot fewer problems than Saxon.

Singapore is a mastery program. It is tougher than Saxon to be sure that is why I had to start a year before her actual grade level when I transitioned to it. But, I LOVE how it teaches you to think not just solve a problem that looks a certain way. It has a three pronged approach to teaching new topics and even my dd who has neurological issues was able to keep up. You can see sample pages at their website. Singaporemath.com Just click on which book looks interesting to you and you can see sample pages of that book. :)

My dd is not mathy either. In fact it is her worst subject. The last evaluation that we had while she was still on Saxon she scored in the 36th percentile for math. Last year for 5th grade she scored in the 39th percentile. And improvement, but still low. I figured that might happen since we had to start a grade earlier in the Singapore and she couldn't possibly finish all of 5th grade and 4th grade math in one year. This year she scored in the 82nd percentile. I was totally blown away! After such a modest increase last year over the year before I wasn't expecting much more this year. I was so happy when the evaluator showed me her scores and my dd was beaming with pride! :) It was so great! :)

Since your dd is so young, you can take advantage of Singapore's Standards edition which I hear is even better than the US edition that I used. They have a placement test also on the website that you can administer or just look over for yourself and see where the skills fall on the grade levels for Singapore. It worked for us. Maybe it will work for your dd too. :) I wish you all the best. :)

Blessings,

Jennifer

That's fabulous!

We're at the beginning of the same road. I have started my 4th grade dd in 3A and hope to also cover 3B and 4A before next fall. We switched from Rod and Staff. She's doing quite well (loves that it's a workbook).

Oh that's great!! Yeah, my dd loves the workbooks too and that they are so skinny! hehehe It makes her feel like she's doing less. :p I wish you success on your journey! :)

Blessings,

Jennifer

That's awesome!

And, good to know since we're enjoying our Singapore switch but are still at the 1B level, we almost finished 1B but will review it a bit this year and then move on to 2A.

I also like how it teaches, my daughter is understanding math so much better since the switch. (I didn't originally think there was much to understand at the lower elementary level, but there really is, and I love Singapore's multiple ways of explaining things.)

My daughter didn't get math until we switched to Singapore. It is a bit lacking in math fact review, but we supplement with RS math games and a flashmaster, the combo is working great for us.

That's awesome!

And, good to know since we're enjoying our Singapore switch but are still at the 1B level, we almost finished 1B but will review it a bit this year and then move on to 2A.

I also like how it teaches, my daughter is understanding math so much better since the switch. (I didn't originally think there was much to understand at the lower elementary level, but there really is, and I love Singapore's multiple ways of explaining things.)

Me too!! I am learning so much myself. I never got far in math in my own schooling so I'm enjoying learning along side my daughter. I have had quite a few "ah ha!" moments this year with the Singapore. It's challenging, but it's a wonderfully thought out and executed program. Now wonder those kids in Singapore consistently score so well in math. :) I'm so happy that your dd is understanding more. That's wonderful! :)

I am always amazed at how good my kids are at math. They moan and groan through the lessons, but I'm always pleasantly suprised when they actually need math in a real world situation and they just get it. Love it!

Awesome!! :) I had that happen to me too just the other day. We were out shopping and dd figured out the discount on something she wanted to buy.:) It was great! :)

Hi,

May I know which singapore math program you're using with your 7th grade child?

New Elementary Math (G7-10) ,

New Syllabus Math (G7-10) ,

Discovering Mathematics (G7-10) or

New Math Counts (G7-10) ?

There are several programs listed in singaporemath.com I'm not sure which one to pick.

Can others give me some suggestion as well?

Thanks!

Michelle

Blessings,

Jennifer

Hi,

May I know which singapore math program you're using with your 7th grade child?

New Elementary Math (G7-10) ,

New Syllabus Math (G7-10) ,

Discovering Mathematics (G7-10) or

New Math Counts (G7-10) ?

There are several programs listed in singaporemath.com I'm not sure which one to pick.

Can others give me some suggestion as well?

Thanks!

Michelle

I bought New Elementary Math for my dd, but I hear a lot of people say that it is tough. I hope it's not too tough for us. We'll find out I guess. I hear a lot of good things about Discovering Mathematics as well. I've heard that it's easier than NEM. Hopefully users of the programs will chime in and be able to share their experiences with the various programs. :)