Menu

Do we need a mouse sitter?

We are going away for 6 nights, are we able to leave our mouse home with plenty of food and fresh water or should we find someone to be a mouse sitter?

We don't know anyone locally who could pop in a look after the mouse so will need to look at paying someone or transporting mouse to someones place a fair distance away.

Sorry if it all sounds silly but we are new mice owners and I'm not really sure what is recommended.

What kind of daily care do you provide right now? And how would you provide them with plenty of food and fresh water for 6 nights? I'm not familiar with mice.

We have 3 rats and there would be no way I could leave them alone for more than a couple of nights, and that would be really pushing the limit I believe. We give them fresh food and water every day. We have to change their bedding every 2 days, otherwise it's very smelly and unhealthy as well.

There is only 1 mouse. Right now we change food every 2 or 3 days, it is a large container and she digs in it to find what she wants. We change the bedding once a week. She has 2 water bottles which we change once per week she has never drank more than 1cm from each and they are long ones, about 10cm long.

I guess if we were to leave her i would think bedding and water wise she would be find. Food wise i would have to put down prob 2 more containers of food for her to pick through. Ideally i would have someone check in on her mid way through our trip but don't know anyone locally to make that happen.

My gf left their hamster alone for a week. She put in an extra water bottle and extra food and he was just fine.

For our hamster and pet rat we found a neighbor that wanted a pet for a week, (which was hard to do with the rat-LOL!) and gave them a little gift card when we got back.

Have a great vacation.