Menu

Feeling smug about schedule

I am so proud of myself! I was practically hyperventilating about all of the things we are going to be trying to accomplish this school year, and I set out this morning to spend serious time working on our daily schedule.

Then, I realized that my children are going to be 13 and 11 in the fall, and THEY need to be partners with me in this process, for their own good!

If *I* set the schedule, they are free to moan and groan, drag their feet, etc.

But, if I present the requirements and THEY set the schedule, then I hope they will see that things need to be done and there is limited time to do them in.

So, I printed up blank schedule templates in 15-minute increments, along with a list of requirements that included how long per session and how many times per week.

And I let them wrangle through it. For over two hours (with a break for lunch in the middle). After they had a draft, I met with each of them individually and finalized it.

Hooray!

I think I will get more buy-in this way, and I'm hoping it encourages my pokey child to get a move on more during school time, instead of me hounding him and constantly adjusting the schedule to accommodate him. I was tearing my hair out much of last year, and it was a brain drain to be constantly adjusting. Enough. It's time for him to step up to the plate.

So now I feel smug.:D I may not feel so smug after the first week of trying this schedule, but that's a problem for another day.

I think I will get more buy-in this way, and I'm hoping it encourages my pokey child to get a move on more during school time, instead of me hounding him and constantly adjusting the schedule to accommodate him. I was tearing my hair out much of last year, and it was a brain drain to be constantly adjusting. Enough. It's time for him to step up to the plate.

So now I feel smug.:D I may not feel so smug after the first week of trying this schedule, but that's a problem for another day.

Good job!

I have to laugh - I just made our schedule, called a meeting of the short people, presented it, and commented to a friend I think I have buy-in from the internal customers.... I think I was having a flashback to corporate life! :D

I have to laugh - I just made our schedule, called a meeting of the short people, presented it, and commented to a friend I think I have buy-in from the internal customers.... I think I was having a flashback to corporate life! :D

:lol:

Uh, I could do that... I guess. But, my 11yo dd is now taller than me, so that means my meeting of the short people would be me, myself, & I. (Guess I could let my 8yo attend my meeting though... lol. ;))

Cool about the schedule. I need to implement that idea here!